Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 300301302303304 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 22:34
I was having the same trouble, Pierre!

The best I could do was look at the big pictrue that TheH posted, which is here again! :

Some I recognize, others not so much!
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 22:37
Thanks. I have all of this, almost. Hope there will be more. Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 22:53
I thought you might, Pierre!

I have several, but I plan of filling in a few gaps in my collection with some of the above titles! Very happy to see that Roberto Colombo and first Il Vovo album show up!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 07:35
Guys, on this list, would you recommend the Formula 3 albums?

This is one band I've never heard any of.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 08:04
Most like Sognando .. I don't. There are good moments and my japanese album has a fantastic sound. It just doesn't work.

My fav is "La Gande Casa" : More humble. Great acoustic guitar. Great ballads. Love the singer. 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 10:02
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

<span style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">Most like Sognando .. I don't. There are good moments and my japanese album has a fantastic sound. It just doesn't work.</span><div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;"><div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">My fav is "La Gande Casa" : More humble. Great acoustic guitar. Great ballads. Love the singer. 

I agree. There's that one song though that sounds like two cats fighting on top of an alley fence. Screechingly awful.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 10:20
Most of the Formula 3 stuff is a bit on the Pop side.

Sognando is the only Album really worth checking out from the Prog
Point of view. I would say it's heavy Psych Prog, but I can understand why Hellogoodbye doesn't like it. (I really like it.)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 12:16
I think that it's because I love Battisti and hate the Formula 3 's cover. 
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 14:41
^^

Did you ever hear the Disco Remix of the Formula 3 Version?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 15:25
No, but it must be something Smile
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 23:34
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Guys, on this list, would you recommend the Formula 3 albums?

This is one band I've never heard any of.
I can definitely recommend this album Michael, not a masterpiece in any way but certainly deserves a place in any RPI collector's collection like yourself.
I think the album has a great flow and there's much to enjoy there, as I said I can recommend many albums before that one but you already know all of them LOL And yes horrible cover.

But I would get that Libra album before! Heart
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 23:43
Thanks, Sagi! I was actually referring to all four of the Formula 3 albums listed! I was planning on just diving in if enough of you guys think it's a good idea, but I wonder if there's better albums I should consider over them.

Oh, I knew you'd rate the Libra one!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 00:02
Ok, Other than Sognando I know La Grande Casa which also has its moments but nothing's special. I'm not sure that's a band who's worth checking their whole albums.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 00:17
Thanks, mate, I think I might give them a miss, or see if there's any clips of Youtube to get an idea what they sound like. Cheers all the same!
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 14:41
Michael, Sognando is a worthy effort, and Grande Casa is very good too, though more poppy as H said. The first two are psych--I rarely listen to them. But if you like psych they are on the good side of psych. By the way, Sognando is on Greg's list of all time best albums. I don't rate it as high as he does, but to me it's a good 4 star album, Grande Casa about 3.5. 

When I ripped Sognando to my computer, I used the Brazilian cover instead of the horrible Italian one.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 07:07
I have not heard anything by Formula 3 as well, perhaps it is time.

Thanks to Todd's excellent review of Tacita Intesa, I got their album off of Bandcamp.  Very good album, I like it Thumbs Up

I also just got Egnon's Risveglio and there are moments and songs I really enjoy, but for some reason, the album as a whole does not pull me in to love it.  Perhaps not enough listens yet....
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 07:32
^^

You should invest some more time on Egonon, I think it is one
of the very best albums to come out of Italy in the last 10 years.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 08:44
^ Yeah, I'm not into modern RPI at all but Egonon's album is really really good. Keep on listening to it Jim, I'm sure it will reveal itself.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 18:03
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

^ Yeah, I'm not into modern RPI at all but Egonon's album is really really good. Keep on listening to it Jim, I'm sure it will reveal itself.

I agree wholeheartedly. I was not too keen on the first few spins but the more I let it blanket me , the more comfortably numb I became. Great album.....new one soon....
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 18:10
Cool live clip from Arpia....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 300301302303304 358>