Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 313314315316317 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 18:10
After procrastinating for about 2 years, for some unknown reason, I finally got GRAN TURISMO VELOCE - Di Carne, Di Anima.  

What in the world was I waiting for!  This is excellent!  Thumbs Up
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 07:34
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

After procrastinating for about 2 years, for some unknown reason, I finally got GRAN TURISMO VELOCE - Di Carne, Di Anima.  

What in the world was I waiting for!  This is excellent!  Thumbs Up

One of my favourite italian Prog Albums of the last years. I hope they will release
their second Album soon wich will feature Craig Blundell (Frost*, Pendragon)
Tony Levin (King Crimson, Peter Gabriel) and Colin Edwin (Porcupine Tree).
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 21:42
OK, does anybody else just adore this album as much as I do?

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=2906

So many subtle little details all throughout it, just beautiful stuff, very unpredictable with lots of variety as well.

Now the question is...which is better, the debut or the second album?
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 22:05
I need to hear that one again Michael......I'm not too familiar with it.  But I am a big fan of their next album.

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 22:18
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I need to hear that one again Michael......I'm not too familiar with it.  But I am a big fan of their next album.

Me too. I can't say I know every second of it, I was always focusing on Gudrun. I remember it was good though, much less experimental than the next one and maybe a little more folky and acoustic?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 22:27
Thank you, gentlemen!

Well, Sagi, it's listed on the Archives under Prog Folk, and yes, it does have many folky/acoustic moments, but it's also very...wild, energetic, more rocking as well! Nice classical moments too - in other words, SO much more that a simple folk album!

I'm going to stick to this one for a few more days, Jim, then switch over to `Gudrun' as well. I've neglected them both for so many years on my shelf
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 23:12
Both are excellent. And that is a Pierrot who says that.  Smile
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 14:21
Speaking of which, anyone who's into Gudrun should check out the band's keyboard player Arturo Stalteri, his debut album is pretty close to what's happening on Gudrun. 
And thanks again to Pierre for bringing this album to my attention, Jim maybe you know this obscure gem? 

Here's a peep...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 14:47
And this one too, Sag. In my top 10 for years, but maybe I'm the only one. Big smile Somewhere between Gudrun and Stormy Six. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGINW3SpOMk

There's another clip of a funny song on youtube, but none of the essential tracks. And there many magnificences on that unknown album.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 21:26
Sagi and Pierre, I played both of those tracks and they were wonderful!Clap

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2015 at 01:17
Glad you like it, my friend. 
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2015 at 20:11
A fantastic one shot wonder from 1996. Any fans? 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2015 at 20:43
Thomas I hear you about Prowlers......and RanestRane is another decent band who gets relatively little buzz. 

I never had the Foglie album....but I'm checking out the videos on their webpage and it is nice!Smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 16:19

FUTURO ANTICO
Futuro Antico

LABEL: Black Sweat Records
GENRE: Electronic    FORMAT: CD | CATALOG N. BS010-CD | YEAR. (2014)

Finally repressed on CD this obscure gem of the italian project Futuro Antico, released just on tape in 1980, this record contains the hypnotic session ofWalter Maioli (Aktuala) and Riccardo Sinigaglia. Analog and warm sounds, a perfect mix of drone synth and ancient flutes (found in oriental countries) gives you the idea to fly on a spaceship towards some exotic sites. This recor terribly remember the astonishing live Köln jam of Terry Riley and Don Cherry, the comparison fits! Limited edition of 300 copies, this reissue maintains the first tape artwork + info and photos in the inner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgrPebpJeLA

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 16:38
"drone synth and ancient flutes"?! Damn, Pierre, sounds like the bees knees to me! Thanks for the information! Are you going to order this yourself?
coasterzombie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coasterzombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 16:44
The entire Futuro Antico album is streaming over here:
http://blacksweat.bandcamp.com/album/futuro-antico-dai-primitivi-allelettronica

Sounds like a must have!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 16:49
Pleasant surprises come always from Italy Big smile
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 10:25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5dLHhgDkxM&feature=youtu.be

Edited by andrea - March 05 2015 at 10:26
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 06:49
LaPera - L'acqua purificatrice  will be rereleased by AMS (BTF) at the end of the month.

Possibly the Album with the worst cover ever...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 07:11
Hahaha, H, the album that keeps coming back to haunt us!

But the question is...is the music any good?

Listening to this clip, some of it does sound quite interesting in little moments:

Regretfully, I now also see that they don't appear to be wearing shorts, rather...paint?!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - March 12 2015 at 07:17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 313314315316317 358>