Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 335336337338339 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cob View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2015 at 16:54
Hi,

I am a great lover of italian prog rock bands and I own a reasonable collection of italian CDs. As I have most of the old scholl classics records (PFM, Le Orme, Banco, etc), I'm always looking for cds from new bands. I have a great wishlist. Next month I'm going to Italy on vacation for the first time. I'll be on Venice, Florence and Rome. I understand that some there are some native italians in this forum. Maybe they could indicade CD shops in those cities where I could find CDs from somewhat obscure new italian prog rock bands?

Thanks in advance,

Carlos Brito
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2015 at 17:19
Hello Carlos, and welcome to PASmile! I am originally from Rome, and can tell you that there are a few independent music stores left there, though not as many as there used to be in the past. Anyway, you can occasionally find interesting stuff even in mainstream stores such as Feltrinelli (there are a few of these in the centre of Rome). Here are a couple of links to the websites of independent stores:

Transmission Records (http://lnx.transmission.it/catalog/contact_us.php)
Pink Moon (http://www.pinkmoonrecords.com/)

Edited by Raff - June 14 2015 at 17:48
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2015 at 02:50
There is a nice record shop in Venice, close to the Rialto bridge. In Florence the best shop I have found is in a street close to the Duomo. Can't remember the name. The guy sells instuments too. He's the producer of a the Kay Hoffman's album : Floret Silva, with guys from Pierrot Lunaire. 

Good luck.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2015 at 16:50
Rovescio della Medaglia anounced a return to Prog Rock and started a crowd founding campaign.
http://www.musicraiser.com/projects/4231-tribal-domestic-il-nuovo-albumthe-new-album

cob View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2015 at 18:42
Thanks for the hints about shops in Rome, Venice and Florence. I'll look for them!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2015 at 22:56
hey..  while in Rome. I remember there was a bitchin mom and pop album store not far from the main train station.  LOTS of great stuff prog/progressive wise. Italian and German especially.  Hopefully it is still there.

Raff? We haven't been in that part of Rome in some time.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 23:52
I found this young Italian guitarist on a Facebook post, check out his technique!  His playing is very Fripp-like (alternate picking, left hand etc.), but then he blends fretboard tapping into it!  Very nice!! 

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2015 at 03:46
^ Very nice indeed! Thanks for sharing Thumbs Up
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2015 at 14:22
The new Biglietto is available on BTF

http://www.btf.it/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/23657/s/vivi-lotta-pensa/
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 10:34
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 04:56
Hi, just wanted to post about an Italian prog band that I have been enjoying this weekend, Kingcrow's new album 'Eidos'.

I really like European prog, especially from the UK, Poland and Scandinavian countries but have struggled with Italian prog. As a generalization I find Italian prog more like a throwback to 70's prog (sort of the 'spaghetti westerns' of prog Big smile) and apart from Kingcrow there is only one other band I have heard that I like, 'Not a Good Sign'.

I'm sure I'm wrong and just not found the right Italian bands - I'd appreciate it if someone can give me pointers to other Italian bands who are similar to Kingcrow and Not a Good Sign with a more modern sound. Thanks!

Edited by deandob - June 28 2015 at 05:02
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 05:26
I surely hope that Nick Beggs is familiar with this gem......
LOCANDA DELLE FATE - Forse le lucciole non si ama no pui
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2015 at 22:23
Ingranaggi della Valle In Hoc Signo album cover

Been re-visiting this one lately...quite good!  Any news on these guys putting out anything new?
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 10:14
Great track from Arti & Mestieri! I'am listen to that album, hepfuly as good as this one.

I iniciated a topic about Osanna, but no one reply CryLOL

What you guys think about the new "Palepolitana"? I think its wonderfull.

- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skalla-Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 10:26
I'm so impressed how many great Italian bands come together and record new albums. I must get these soon.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 10:52
Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

Great track from Arti & Mestieri! I'am listen to that album, hepfuly as good as this one.

I didn't particularly care for Palepolitana when I listened to it on Progstreaming. Too similar to mainstream Italian pop, which is generally a big turn-off for me. Though I grew up with that kind of music, I could never stand it. One reason why I like Battiato's "pop" albums is that they do not sound like mainstream Italian pop.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 11:39
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Ingranaggi della Valle In Hoc Signo album cover

Been re-visiting this one lately...quite good!  Any news on these guys putting out anything new?

They are recording their second Album for some time now. But as all those bands they are rather slow,
so it will take some time until it's release.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 12:22
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

I didn't particularly care for Palepolitana when I listened to it on Progstreaming. Too similar to mainstream Italian pop, which is generally a big turn-off for me. Though I grew up with that kind of music, I could never stand it. One reason why I like Battiato's "pop" albums is that they do not sound like mainstream Italian pop.

I like it so much! Shocked
But thats ok, not all music have to be unanimous. LOL
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 05:25
Hi Italian prog fans.
I need your help with recommendations of Italian prog bands with a modern sound.

As I posted a couple of posts above, I really enjoy European prog bands but struggle with Italian prog, most bands I have sampled seem to be into the retro '70s sound, but I have found 2 bands I like, 'Kingcrow' and 'Not a Good Sign' with a modern sound so I'm looking for similar bands.

Any recommendations from the experts here? Thanks.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2015 at 05:34
I'm not an expert, but Egonon sounds modern Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 335336337338339 358>