Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 340341342343344 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2016 at 04:30
Finally found this one on vinyl. Love it. 

Afficher limage dorigine
Luca Pacchiarini View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luca Pacchiarini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 06:36
Hello everyone :) just got back to this site. My last post here must have been 3 years ago. Maybe someone remembers me.

I'd like to say hello to all the inhabitants of this thread, which used to be one of my favourites.

Within this absence I've discovered a lot of new bands, not only prog...I think I'll post a lot of suggestions and "recommended" listens in the next few days :)
Did I miss anything remarkable?
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 08:02
^I began my journey into the forum and RPI about 3 years ago (first time ever hearing RPI), so may have missed your posts.  Welcome back.  Look forward to your suggestions.

Edited by AEProgman - January 29 2016 at 08:02
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 08:13
^ Exactly this.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luca Pacchiarini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 09:18
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Exactly this.

Olà Samuel 

I was browsing through your reviews and I noticed you rated Banda Do Casaco's "Conquilhas" Clap

I love that album, since you're portuguese, could you just do me a favour? 
In the song "Pás Portugal", what are they singing about? I know a bit of your language and I understand what they're saying in the "pás de cidades, aldeias e praias etc..." geographical bit... I was curious to know what's the meaning of the latter part, it sounds like social criticism (?)

Obrigado
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 09:54
It's one of my favourite albums from my country, I'm glad you love it Thumbs Up

If I'm not mistaken, that song is a political satire: the politicians (little devils) say that Portugal is a paradise (with beaches, mountains, etc...), but in reality it's not, due to bad management, corruption, lack of culture, etc. Except for the criticism of mandatory military service, this song still makes sense today. It's exactly the same country (probably worse?) 40 years later Ouch

There's another Prog track with a similar meaning:

This one was released during the dictatorship though, so it was banned by the government.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 10:05
Thanks for the explanation Samuel. It's not that I need to know what they're singing about because I love how it can mean everything and nothing at the same time (just like RPI), but it's still cool to get the real meaning once in a while.
I actually played that album yesterday morning, and it got me thinking of you my friend.

Also hi Luca. I can't recall if we've ever spoken to one another, but I do remember you nonetheless. You had a musical thing with Vomps at some point.
Anyway, welcome back!
What's happened since you left? Nowadays everyone's into Franco Battiato
Or they should be...

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luca Pacchiarini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 10:09
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

but in reality it's not, due to bad management, corruption, lack of culture, etc. Except for the criticism of mandatory military service, this song still makes sense today. It's exactly the same country (probably worse?) 40 years later Ouch

I know how you feel LOLLOLLOLLOLCryOuch

Thanks for your Mestre suggestion. I have been aware of Petrus Castrus for a long time, like Tantra, but never really tried listening to it. 
"Mestre" is Italy's ugliest city, but I don't think it's related LOL

Edited by Luca Pacchiarini - January 29 2016 at 10:09
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 10:55
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Thanks for the explanation Samuel. It's not that I need to know what they're singing about because I love how it can mean everything and nothing at the same time (just like RPI), but it's still cool to get the real meaning once in a while.
I actually played that album yesterday morning, and it got me thinking of you my friend.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I actually never gave much thought about this song's lyrics Tongue It's not only sad lyrics here though: the lyrics from Quarteto 1111's "Cantamos Pessoas Vivas" basically are about liberty and being honest and humble (like the simple cover suggests) in order to live in harmony as a community (a guy can dream, right?). That and loads of Mellotron are simply beatiful Cry
I played Jonas Munk's Pan the other day and thought about you too. Awesome album Clap

Originally posted by Luca Pacchiarini Luca Pacchiarini wrote:

I know how you feel LOLLOLLOLLOLCryOuch

Thanks for your Mestre suggestion. I have been aware of Petrus Castrus for a long time, like Tantra, but never really tried listening to it. 
"Mestre" is Italy's ugliest city, but I don't think it's related LOL
We're on the same boat, unfortunately Unhappy

I prefer their next album much more, it's a symphonic concept album Thumbs Up
It means "master", another political analogy. I never heard of that city, there's an award for that? LOL
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 11:17
I love that Quarteto 1111 album Samuel! Feels like an RPI release even with those beautiful Portuguese vocals.
And yes you gotta love the sound of Jose Cid's mellotron. Yummy.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 11:23
I know, I read your review Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luca Pacchiarini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2016 at 10:26
Check out my thread about Maurizio Fabrizio in the "suggest new bands" section http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=105687
I posted some songs of his marvellous 1978 album "Movimenti Nel Cielo" 

I was so baffled to see it was not included here already, it's one of the best examples of RPI / mediterranean folk / orchestral  mixture Heart

Oh well, I'll repost the tracks here as well:

Movimenti Nel Cielo (title track)

Sputnik Suite

Movenze Degli Anelli Di Saturno

Edited by Luca Pacchiarini - January 30 2016 at 10:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 02:55
I like that album. Thumbs Up Maybe too "disco" for Progarchives.

Afficher limage dorigine
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 03:01
I'm listenning to this one right now. Terrific stuff.
Afficher limage dorigine

Art Fleury- I luoghi del potere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8-7G71LChQ

andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreol263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2016 at 18:30
I've falled in love with this album:
Davide Spitaleri - Uomo Irregolare (1980)

Please give it a listen!!

Edited by andreol263 - February 02 2016 at 18:31
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 13:09
Originally posted by andreol263 andreol263 wrote:

I've falled in love with this album:
Davide Spitaleri - Uomo Irregolare (1980)

Please give it a listen!!

Always nice to hear "Jimmy". The new Metamorfosi album should be out soon
(according to their keyboardist it is almost ready).

You should also check the stuff he released as "Thor".
CharonKnight View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharonKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 15:46
Le Orme is great but I've only been able to get my hands on the first album. Very psychedlic!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 06:42
Le Orme really starts with Collage. 

Afficher limage dorigine
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2016 at 04:39
I saw that album in a record shop yesterday. Doesn't sound so bad !

Afficher limage dorigine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMslC1JkEz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxGjWb10I90
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2016 at 18:50
Great to discover this album recently, I picked up a recent mini-LP reissue of it, and I've really fallen in love with it!

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=925

Of course their second album `Inferno' is their classic, but there are plenty of worthwhile moments on `...E Fu Il Sesto Giorno'! At least three of the tracks approach true greatness, and the rest is well played ambitious pop/rock tunes that are easy to enjoy! It's a very unpredictable album, some tracks start as pop pieces then divert in all sorts of interesting directions, really good stuff!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 340341342343344 358>