Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 341342343344345 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Elagabalus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elagabalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2016 at 07:04
I'm listening a lot La Fabbrica dell'Assoluto's debut album based on George Orwell's novel and "La Notte Anche Di Giorno" by La Coscienza di Zeno.
Those two albums to me are the best 2015's Italian releases.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2016 at 07:11
Michael: Nice one mate - I haven't heard that album, but now you've made me curious!

Elagabalus: Definitely agree with you regarding FabbricaBeer One of the best RPI releases I've heard the last couple of years.
Don't care for La Conscienza di Zeno though. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2016 at 17:42
Originally posted by Elagabalus Elagabalus wrote:

I'm listening a lot La Fabbrica dell'Assoluto's debut album based on George Orwell's novel and "La Notte Anche Di Giorno" by La Coscienza di Zeno.

Track 10, Processo di Omologazione, is one of the best RPI tracks since the 70s, IMO. Great album.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2016 at 18:06
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Le Orme really starts with Collage. 

Afficher limage dorigine

What a great album! I think this is the first really influential symphonic progressive album from Italy. I don't know exactly the month it was released, but it was recorded in May 1971. The other candidates: Terra in Bocca by I Giganti was released in December. PFM's first single (La Carrozza di Hans / Impressioni di Settembre) wasn't released until November 1971. The others released in 1970/71 are primarily Beat, Psychedelic, or Hard Rock. I think this is the real birth of RPI, heralding the coming explosion in 1972. 

Any others to consider? What do you think?

My Gnosis Ratings

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2016 at 01:32
Sure Todd. Thumbs Up Incredible album. That band has always got one step ahead of the others. 

India on Contrappunti (1974) sounds like an english cold wave's song of 1979.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYddzx-zcMA

Notturno (on the same album) is the best ambient instrumental song I've ever heard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTKYE7Xb6zA

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2016 at 06:01
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

What a great album! I think this is the first really influential symphonic progressive album from Italy. I don't know exactly the month it was released, but it was recorded in May 1971. The other candidates: Terra in Bocca by I Giganti was released in December. PFM's first single (La Carrozza di Hans / Impressioni di Settembre) wasn't released until November 1971. The others released in 1970/71 are primarily Beat, Psychedelic, or Hard Rock. I think this is the real birth of RPI, heralding the coming explosion in 1972. 

Any others to consider? What do you think?
Panna Fredda released Uno in 71'
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2016 at 06:09
Well there are some others from around 1971:

Delirium - Dolce Acqua
New Trolls - Concerto Grosso... 
Osanna - L'Uomo
The Trip - Caronte
Planetarium - Infinity
My fave from that year is probably Claudio Rocchis Volo Magico 

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2016 at 19:15
The amazing thing about Panna Fredda is that they recorded the album in 1970, but it wasn't released until 1971. Definitely one of the first, maybe the very first. I don't know exactly when it was released to know if it would have been an influence on these other bands. On Augusto's website (www.italianprog.com) there's a nice interview that talks about how they were really influenced by Vanilla Fudge, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, King Crimson (and of course, though he doesn't mention it, Procol Harum), when the rest of Italian music was still caught up with the Beat and Psych trends. So maybe the first real RPI album is this one.

Maybe David is right about New Trolls--they recorded Concerto Grosso in March of 1971. Maybe that's the first one. 

The others David mentioned sound to me a bit more Psych or Hard Rock tinged to be considered the first full-fledged RPI album. Great albums? Yep. 

We'll probably never know, but it's fun thinking about it.

My Gnosis Ratings

VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOTOMS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 06:18
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 03:04
Thumbs Up

Afficher limage dorigine

http://theprogressiveaspect.net/blog/2016/01/06/loomings-everyday-mythology/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZdCVVVi2dQ
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 10:18
Denizens Denizens, I trust the wine is flowing well as always. 

I wanted to pop in and give some love to Stefano Testa's new album, which is the follow-up to his 1977 classic.  This one was conceived around the same time but was not able to be made then.  Four decades later it has been lovingly reborn from Stefano's home studio, using some very good musician friends.  He put a ton of Heart into this music.  CD is coming, but for now you can listen at Bandcamp: 

http://mellowrecords.bandcamp.com/album/stefano-testa-andrea-il-traditore-new

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 12:20
^ Hey Jim, I read your review of this album, great review and can't wait to get this!  I enjoyed his Una vita, una balena bianca e altre cose album.  Amazing, 4 decades later he gets back to it and get this follow up out.  Same artistic style album cover also.

Also good to see your recent reviews of late Clap!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 12:25
Thumbs Up No matter the age. When you are good, you are good.

Afficher limage dorigine
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberto Muñoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 12:56
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

Originally posted by Elagabalus Elagabalus wrote:

Track 10, Processo di Omologazione, is one of the best RPI tracks since the 70s, IMO. Great album.

Very Good

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 14:21
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

^ Hey Jim, I read your review of this album, great review and can't wait to get this!  I enjoyed his Una vita, una balena bianca e altre cose album.  Amazing, 4 decades later he gets back to it and get this follow up out.  Same artistic style album cover also.

Also good to see your recent reviews of late Clap!

Thanks a bunch my friend....hope to see more review some day.Big smile

Pierre, love it!  SmileClap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2016 at 20:13
Afficher limage dorigine

Jek Dicoppe & Kilroy - Kramemboli (1981)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgeDBYNODxM

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2016 at 04:42
^ Cool track, much better than the coverTongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2016 at 05:29
Yes LOL the middle section is very good
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2016 at 12:59
Most of Roberto Cacciapaglia Albums are now reissued by a Russian lable (Miru-Mir which seems to be legit) as LP+CD combinations.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2016 at 01:30
I like SONANZE a lot Thumbs Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rQ8VjcKVm8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 341342343344345 358>