Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 350351352353354 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 03:23
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

It is something of a miracle tbh. I was not expecting to be this blown away but it seems some of the new kids on the block understands how to woo this dane.
On my second spin of Avenoth right now and it sounds better than the first, although I still would prefer a more erm subtle production.

production, shmoduction. only men can talk about that! I don't think any woman would ever complain about the production of an album. it is the music that counts, not the f.....g production!

many early prog albums (and non-prog too) were what you would call "badly produced". but I don't care at all! on the contrary; a so-called "perfect" production makes the music appear sterile. it is the little imperfections that bring music to life. this is one of the reasons why I much prefer live albums to studio albums. Friede shares my opinion, by the way

But you're preaching to the choir...and indeed complaining about the very same problem I have with most modern prog albums: the overly sterile production. I prefer music cut live in the studio, warm almost woodlike ambiences and mic placement to any modern "phonebooth" endeavor.
The noise as some people sadly call it is and always be half the music.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2017 at 07:30
Has anyone heard the latest Maxophone disc? Thoughts, please!
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2017 at 07:35
^ I'm surprised at how good it is. After some of the lackluster comebacks of late, I wasn't expecting much, but it is really good! It continues the spirit of the wonderful 1975 album fairly well, not quite as adventurous but just as lovely. I don't think you will be disappointed.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2017 at 07:39
Awesome, mate....I had planned to simply buy it sound-unheard anyway, but I only thought to ask at this exact moment because I'm grooving my sandals off to the self-titled disc on nightshift at work right now!

It's funny, it's not one I play nearly often enough (even though I know the LP well enough), but it wins me over more and over every single time.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2017 at 08:02
Does anybody else think this album is just top-notch?

I unbelievably came across CD's of their first two albums in a second-hand record shop that rarely ever has too much prog, let alone ITALIAN prog...and you especially don't find those early Mellow Records discs much anymore.

For shame to whoever cashed them in in the first place...but thanks!
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2017 at 12:15
^Michael, for some reason I can't see the image you included. What album are you referring to?

My Gnosis Ratings

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2017 at 12:28
Oh no! It's the self-titled Finisterre debut from 1995!
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2017 at 08:33
I'm looking for an superior CD recording of Museo Rosenbach Zarathustra.   I'm not happy with my copy of Zarathustra- CD Sony Music - 88875000442 (2014, Italy)

Thanks in advance for audiophile recommendations.

Edited by omphaloskepsis - March 03 2017 at 08:34
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2017 at 08:47
^ I have this one and I'm very happy with it. The OBI says it's a 24 bit mastering, although a CD doesn't support so much depth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2017 at 08:57
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ I have this one and I'm very happy with it. The OBI says it's a 24 bit mastering, although a CD doesn't support so much depth.

It's probably my ears and not the recording.  I actually bought my copy after reading that it wasn't as compressed as earlier copies and had a dynamic range of 11. 

Perhaps that's why at the beginning of the disc the piano bit drops off a cliff and the vocals sound like their in a well, forcing me to up the volume.  Then at 2:30 mark the vocals and guitar kick in and I'm forced to turn down the volume.  Perhaps it's not the recording and MR recorded the opening vocals hollow like on purpose? 

I might be hunting for a Jabberwocky. Still,  I would appreciate any comments on other recordings.  

Edited by omphaloskepsis - March 03 2017 at 09:08
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2017 at 11:42
As I see it, the problem with "audiophile" recommendations is similar to the problem of any music recommendations in general--they are entirely subjective! So I've learned whom to trust with regard to both. I have sorted through various recordings, generally both multiple CD versions and various vinyl rips (which in turn are dependent upon the inherent sound of the issue, the condition, and the rig of the ripper...), and I have learned what I prefer. Then I have found those with similar audio preferences and have sought their recommendations (Jeff Carney has never steered me wrong in the audiophile realm). In like manner, I have learned that there are some reviewers and site members whose tastes approach mine in a particular facet of prog. (Side note: DR values may have their place, IMO, but are not definitive.)

So before I recommend my favorite version of Zarathustra, I need to explain that I prefer a natural, maybe even flat sound, with little processing or boosting and no noise reduction. So initial vinyl pressings are usually best, and early CD issues are often best or close to it. But not always! 

For Zarathustra, I currently own or have listened to the following CD versions:
1987 Nexus K32Y 2117 / 1993 Crime KICP 2710 (they are the same pressing)
1990 Contempo CONTEDISC004
1997 BMG/Ricordi 74321531842
2003 Japan BMG mini BVCM-37425

As well as a rip of LP reissue 2009 Sony 88697428191

Of all of these, my favorite is the Nexus / Crime version. Great dynamic range, no noise reduction, not much boosting.

I have found that the first Mellow/Philips pressings to be the very best sounding (Jumbo, Balletto di Bronzo, Maxophone, etc). The early Japanese issues on Nexus/Crime/King/Edison/Seven Seas almost always have great sound--again, according to my criteria. The early Mellow and Vinyl Magic versions are generally very good too. Even the BTF mini issues are generally very good sounding. As a rule, even though the packaging is the best, the Japanese minis do not have very good sound, except for the 2003 Arcangelo series and the recent Belle Antique version of the Biglietto per l'Inferno debut (which is a new vinyl rip).

If you find that your audio tastes are similar to mine, I am always willing to share my favorite versions.

Edit: Please note that the first Mellow/Philips pressings are different from the early Mellow pressings!

Edited by Todd - March 04 2017 at 15:43

My Gnosis Ratings

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2017 at 11:43
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Oh no! It's the self-titled Finisterre debut from 1995!

I have struggled to fall in love with that band. I'll give it another try.

My Gnosis Ratings

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2017 at 14:23
Thanks Todd! What an outstanding answer.   I appreciate the time and thought you put into my inquiry.
I will check your recommendation out. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2017 at 16:13
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Thanks Todd! What an outstanding answer.   I appreciate the time and thought you put into my inquiry.
I will check your recommendation out. 

Ha! See, didn't I tell you Todd would likely be able to give you specific answers to help with your question?!    
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2017 at 15:44
Thumbs Up

It's actually been a lot of fun, and very gratifying once I find a pressing that I am in love with! 

My Gnosis Ratings

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2017 at 07:12
First single from their upcoming album Thumbs Up

andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreol263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2017 at 14:16
^Great music, strange clip lol
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 10:47
oh yeah..... to all our Italian friends LOL

First bit of Italian I learned
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 13:10
LOL
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2017 at 00:33
Sag, wake up  !

Résultat de recherche dimages pour &quot;maxophone la fabbrica&quot;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfVERma3rNE&list=PLxq0NvHXVd_C4SczUKY3J8XbjJvIoCAES
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 350351352353354 358>