Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 351352353354355 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 06:29
Ha ha yes I know, it's on the way right now. I don't have my hopes up really, I just hope it's a good album, I don't expect more than that.
Juan K View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juan K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 01:32
Hello, though I have been reading these pages for what it seems forever, I am new to the forums.

As a dedicated prog fan I have some Italian prog albums, and I bring a question over here:

NEW TROLLS

Well, the thing is, I am from Spain, and I remember as a kid (80's) that this band appeared in TV shows and were - at the time - a pop band. As a side note, in the 80's Italian pop music was big in Spain and most Italian artists made Spanish versions of their albums, and many of them are still popular over here.

Righ, coming back to my question: New Trolls, worth a listen? which albums?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 01:49
^It really depends on what you're looking for in music. The Trolls have different phases to their career but started out as one of the earliest Italian prog bands. Concerto Grosso their most acclamed album and of course also the one most folks go to...but to me personally it has always sounded way too cheesy for it's own good. I much prefer the later incarnation of New Trolls that made Tempi Dispari - an album that has more in common with fusion and space rock though.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Juan K View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juan K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 02:18
My tastes in music ... ufff ... (lol !) I don't put fences to my tastes, in my record collecion you can find anything from Abba to ZZ Top, with a good chunk dedicated to prog ... in fact in the last two years I have been listening to almost non stop only prog albums. My favourites since I was a teen are Yes, but I love current bands too (most of them from Scandinavia).

Weird you recommend Tempi Dispari, a friend that just have emailed me also recommends the same album ... and weird too that this album is NOT in progarchives database !!! why ?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 02:47
Aah I forgot to mention that the band had changed their name by that point. Tempi Dispari is on Prog Archives just under the moniker New Trolls Atomic System.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Juan K View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juan K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 03:05
Oh ok, I also was doing some research and realized that the band and their discography are a bit nightmarish to follow, with splits, legal battles about the name and so on.

I will start with Concerto Grosso and Tempi Dispari, thanks.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 03:18

- Douglas Adams
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 06:38

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 07:16
Originally posted by Juan K Juan K wrote:

Hello, though I have been reading these pages for what it seems forever, I am new to the forums.

As a dedicated prog fan I have some Italian prog albums, and I bring a question over here:

NEW TROLLS

Well, the thing is, I am from Spain, and I remember as a kid (80's) that this band appeared in TV shows and were - at the time - a pop band. As a side note, in the 80's Italian pop music was big in Spain and most Italian artists made Spanish versions of their albums, and many of them are still popular over here.

Righ, coming back to my question: New Trolls, worth a listen? which albums?

I don't know all of the New Trolls material, but I rather like their "UT" album.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 07:19
I also like the 2xLP Searching For A Land
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 23:05
Well fellas, I very much feel that METAMORFOSI's PURGATORIO is a real strict feeling as to why I truly love RPI.
Purgatorio is the true embodiment and character of what makes RPI beautiful, emotive and amazingly symphonic. :)
Such a lovely listen here. I'm sure most of you agree.
I put this album at the top and it's a perfect blend of modern and classic stylings of the genre.

Best RPI album for me in the last 3 years. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2017 at 05:55
So...thoughts on the latest PFM album `Emotional Tattoos'?

The playing is superb and drummer Di Cioccio’s voice is confident, but it seems very much mostly made up of vocal heavy AOR/fancier rock with little in the way of `proggy' touches, save for little 30 second soloing spots here and there. Some tracks are much more interesting than others, but...I can't help but feel there's not a lot to associate with the sound of the legendary proggers of the past. In fact, if one didn't know it was PFM, would they pick that it was them?

I'm kind of dumbfounded that it runs for over an hour as well. Does InsideOut Music put demands on all the artists that sign for them that the music must have enough to cover a double vinyl release?

Anyway, review on the way over the next few days, but please offer your thoughts if you've heard it.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2017 at 12:29
^ I agree with everything you've said; It's a nice enough listen, nothing schmaltzy but nothing particularly outstanding either, well played and polished. I wasn't really expecting 'Classic PFM' but did think it might have a bit of edge.. Likewise, about the length of the lp.. I bought the vinyl version but listened to the CD that came with it and I did zone out towards the end both times that I played it. It has a sound (particularly with the Guitars and keyboards) which I hear on so many recent prog lps which seems to be in part, young and technically well versed and highly polished players that have no.. well.. real soul.

noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2017 at 13:19
Just been listening to Camelias Garden - You Have a Chance.  Fantastic album indeed!!Smile
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2017 at 02:07
I expected a lot more from the new PFM Album based on their latest Albums (which where all
great (in different ways). The Album is not really bad but to much clean Pop/Rock for me.

On the other Hand the new Acqua Fragile Album took me by surprise and is much better than expected.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2017 at 06:00
Thanks for your thoughts, guys. I posted a review for that new PFM album earlier today, it just got wiped off the front page within a couple of hours .

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1824525

H, funny you mention that, because you're one of many that seems to be praising the new Acqua Fragile quite a lot, and to be honest I hadn't even been planning on getting it because I find the original albums rather not too special. But I think I might have to grab it now!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - November 19 2017 at 06:00
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2017 at 16:37
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. I posted a review for that new PFM album earlier today, it just got wiped off the front page within a couple of hours .

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1824525

H, funny you mention that, because you're one of many that seems to be praising the new Acqua Fragile quite a lot, and to be honest I hadn't even been planning on getting it because I find the original albums rather not too special. But I think I might have to grab it now!

Thanks for the heads up Aussie-Byrd-Brother.   I must have missed your PMF review by an hour or two. LOL 
What can you do when two or three members post 3-6 reviews on the same day?  Some members do it so often, I wonder if they listen to stacks of albums at 78' speed.  

I include Aussie-Byrd-Brother is a baker's dozen of reviewers on PA whose reviews are art in of themselves.  Bordering on poetic, I often reread these splendid reviews out loud to my spouse.  Art's where you find it.  I wish I had their talent for conciseness, deft turn of a phrase, and flow.  

Now in days , I often miss my favorite reviewer's critiques even though I visit PA once a day to read reviews.   For me the tip of the spear is PA's front page.  Ho hum, I guess I'll have to click "read the last 50 review button" from now on.

PS...Lucky I copied my post because the PA authenticator erased me...Again!Ouch  But that's another story.

Edited by omphaloskepsis - November 19 2017 at 16:44
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2017 at 23:01
Thanks, Cindy (just seen this now!):

Anyway, very sad news for Italian prog fans. Just confirmed very recently, the dark lord of Italian prog, mr Antonio Bartoccetti of Antonius Rex and Jacula, has passed away. He suffered a heart attack some months ago, but his family have only just released this information now. Anyone who has an interest in the darker corner of Italian progressive music will likely realise the status he commanded on the fringes of Italian prog-related and gothic music.

R.I.P, Mr Bartoccetti, thank you for your beautiful dark music.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2017 at 10:11

Anyway, very sad news for Italian prog fans. Just confirmed very recently, the dark lord of Italian prog, mr Antonio Bartoccetti of Antonius Rex and Jacula, has passed away. He suffered a heart attack some months ago, but his family have only just released this information now. Anyone who has an interest in the darker corner of Italian progressive music will likely realise the status he commanded on the fringes of Italian prog-related and gothic music.

Very Very sad. But I can't find any proof of this anywhere, you have a reliable source?

Edited by TheH - November 27 2017 at 10:12
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2017 at 15:37
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

Very Very sad. But I can't find any proof of this anywhere, you have a reliable source?

H, I'm only going by the information that a long-time friend and acquaintance on my Facebook has mentioned. She has longtime connections and dealings with endless Italian groups both vintage and modern for several decades now, so I would trust her implicitly. However I and a couple of others have requested some officially released sources, so if I can get that, I'll update here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 351352353354355 358>