Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 352353354355356 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bertolino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bertolino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2017 at 09:22
Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

Just been listening to Camelias Garden - You Have a Chance.  Fantastic album indeed!!Smile

Happy this one is mentioned; actually almost everything on Fading, the Altrock sublabel devoted to more lyrical, pastoral, in a word classic sound of prog is great. But this one truly sounds like what PFM should sounds like nowadays. I agree for the new Acqua Fragile as well. Bernardo Lanzetti's voice may be an acquired taste but here is a rare case of a comeback which sounds to me better than the 70's originals.

And in that kind of inspiration, pastoral folk RPI, i love Reverie's "Gnos Furlanis Il Timp Dal Sium".
45 years of prog listening and still movin'
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2017 at 14:25
Originally posted by bertolino bertolino wrote:

Just been listening to Camelias Garden - You Have a Chance.  Fantastic album indeed!!Smile

Happy this one is mentioned; actually almost everything on Fading, the Altrock sublabel devoted to more lyrical, pastoral, in a word classic sound of prog is great. But this one truly sounds like what PFM should sounds like nowadays. I agree for the new Acqua Fragile as well. Bernardo Lanzetti's voice may be an acquired taste but here is a rare case of a comeback which sounds to me better than the 70's originals.

And in that kind of inspiration, pastoral folk RPI, i love Reverie's "Gnos Furlanis Il Timp Dal Sium".

Not an easy album to find. Unhappy
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2017 at 00:43

Managed to find a site and listen to this band..  Great band.  Still a hard album to get..
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2017 at 01:10
You can find it here: http://synphonicmusic.com/country/italy.html or here www.btf.it

Former Lethe guys. Lethe seems to have reformed latley.
bertolino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bertolino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2017 at 01:39

Managed to find a site and listen to this band..  Great band.  Still a hard album to get..

Well, i'm a happy french canadian now living in Paris, France. True that continental Europe is the right place to be to such a find... So a mention to a superb book / record store, Gibert Joseph. They offer both new and second hand products, and have a pretty interesting prog section. It just happens that nearly all Altrock and small independant labels from Italy (and beyond) are shown, at least in one copy. Then it's up to you to be "aware" because as soon as one buy a copy, it's gone forever... But small RPI labels'ones are exactly what i won't pass over! For now these are the kind of record you DON'T FIND on the Amazon's and Price minister's of this world. So as one has mentioned , any other way at the end would be the label site. Thank's for the attention and replies.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2017 at 06:41
I spend half of my life at Gibert Joseph. The prog section is not that good,in my opinion, especially in Lp.
bertolino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bertolino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2017 at 07:01
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

I spend half of my life at Gibert Joseph. The prog section is not that good,in my opinion, especially in Lp.

You're right in a sense, and especially with LP's; the're up and coming only. And the prog section is in a constant state of flux...At least it does exist! As long as you're branched to such this site, you'll find any physical store not up to par anyway. 

But as you seem to do like me (i'm a booksalesman working within 10 minutes walking and visit it usually 3 day's a week by lunchtime, keeping the 2 other days to Boulimier not far (this coming to an end though because the selection i'snt following suit...), you know what i mean; the thing i like actually: they've brought back the jazz section besides , while it was on a different street number for two years now; the pop rock , alternative and techno electro provide much pleasure too as i'm not limited to prog but say, enjoy any "intelligent" music.  And the thing i hate: that many , including the store director, think that Metal/Hard/Doom is a fit to prog. As you have one salesman who knows everything, others would have in public listening mostly "cookie monsters"... Which i truly hate ! Dream theaters of this world "sors de ce corps" please, that is my moto... Actually the second employee is a strange case. Himself a musician, as soon as he takes charge we can't hear anything other than is own band's record. Not bad actually a kind of modern neo prog with a nice female vocalist. But once this is played, we're up for heavy metal throat singing contest...

At the end i'm simply glad Gibert does exist, even if there are signs that not all is going fine for them.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 22:40
Well, here was a surprise discovery for me. I had NEVER heard of this band or album, and it was only through someone randomly posting it on a Facebook prog-collecting group that I was made aware of it. I’ve since picked up a Mini LP edition of it, and I’m very happy. Not a total RPI blowout, but fancy pop and light rock pieces given a charming instrumental blacking. Very happy to add it to the collection!

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=19785
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 23:14
^ It's amazing how deep the RPI pool is! There are layers upon layers of riches to be found!

Here's a gem I listened to recently that I hadn't heard for a while. I linked to the artist page for a couple YouTube videos.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 23:43
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

^ It's amazing how deep the RPI pool is! There are layers upon layers of riches to be found!

Here's a gem I listened to recently that I hadn't heard for a while. I linked to the artist page for a couple YouTube videos.

Todd!!! Usually what I do when I read about this obscurities is head to Discogs to see if either LP or CD reissues are available, and I nearly fell over at the prices the original LP's are commanding these days! What a shame his early albums have never been reissued.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2018 at 00:33
^ Yeah, for sure. There are waaaay too many Italian artists who haven't been issued on CD yet. Some of the bootleg labels like Tachika and Poor House have done some of them, but it's always better to have an official one, especially when the original LP is so scarce and was never reissued either!

A few that come to mind that didn't get official releases that you might find on these labels:
Mario Barbaja - Megh
Assemblea Musicale Teatrale
Ballettirosadimacchia (legend has it this was a Japanese band posing as Italians)
I Califfi (first album)
Canzionere di Lazio

And especially... 

But hey, if Lapera, Messaggio 73, and Armando Piazza can get nice BTF reissues, we can still hope!
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2018 at 15:35
^^

There will be some CD reissues by Fone Records for Canzionere di Lazio.

Their second album is already out as Hybrid SACD
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 11:05

R.I.P. Sergio Lattuada (Maxophone Keyboards) :(

Maxophone also disbanded finally as a reaction...

noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 11:34
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

R.I.P. Sergio Lattuada (Maxophone Keyboards) :(

Maxophone also disbanded finally as a reaction...

Sad news indeed!....Cry
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 13:57

^^

A reissue of Miradas would be a fine thing indeed

Edited by Mascodagama - May 19 2018 at 13:57
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 14:17
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

^^

Don't know if it will be part of the rereleases. "Lassa Sta la me Creatura" is out already,
and underrated (from my point of view).

"Spirito Bono" will follow in July AFAIK (which I rate their second best). Miradas would be my favourite,
but was released on another label then the other two, so might not be a part of the deal.

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 15:55

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

^^

Don't know if it will be part of the rereleases. "Lassa Sta la me Creatura" is out already,
and underrated (from my point of view).

"Spirito Bono" will follow in July AFAIK (which I rate their second best). Miradas would be my favourite,
but was released on another label then the other two, so might not be a part of the deal.
Thanks for the further info.  I shall live in hope, but not in expecation.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 11:02
I've been hip to the Big 3 (PFM, Banco and Le Orme) for years but only recently started really diving in and am truly enjoying a lot of RPI lately. Locanda Della Fate, Semiramis, Alusa Fallax, Alphataurus, Il Balletto Di Bronzo, Biglietto Per L'Inferno, Maxophone, Campo Di Marte, Murple, Celeste, Goblin/Cherry Five, Quella Vecchia Locanda, Area, New Trolls, Museo Rosenbach, Osanna, etc. You know, the usual suspects.

What are some others I should investigate?
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 05:08
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I've been hip to the Big 3 (PFM, Banco and Le Orme) for years but only recently started really diving in and am truly enjoying a lot of RPI lately. Locanda Della Fate, Semiramis, Alusa Fallax, Alphataurus, Il Balletto Di Bronzo, Biglietto Per L'Inferno, Maxophone, Campo Di Marte, Murple, Celeste, Goblin/Cherry Five, Quella Vecchia Locanda, Area, New Trolls, Museo Rosenbach, Osanna, etc. You know, the usual suspects.

What are some others I should investigate?

There is still  tons of great other bands. Try the following:

Jumbo
Nuova Idea
Arti & Mestieri
Procession
Pierrot Luniare
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 06:54
^^ The first Dalton album would be a worthy investigation also.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 352353354355356 358>