Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 353354355356357 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 09:08
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

^^ The first Dalton album would be a worthy investigation also.

Yes very good one.

There are so many

L'Uovo di Colombo (same vocalist as Cherry Five)
I Giganti
De De Lind
Battiato (early ones)
Cervello
Metamorfosi
Delirium
etc etc. etc.

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2018 at 08:04
I just picked up that Metamorfosi album. I mean, how could I not? That's my favorite Banco song!!!
Great stuff. I think I'll check out L'Uovo di Colombo as Cherry Five is awesome.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 08:17
R.I.P to vocalist/flautist Claudio Canali of legendary Italian prog-rockers Biglietto per L'Inferno.

He left behind one hell of an RPI classic, a long-unreleased follow-up coming out two decades later and some sublime and exquisite comeback albums with a re-worked modern version of the group.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 11:57
Hey Michael very sad news.  That self titled album was among the first RPI purchases back when this thread turned me on to RPI in 2012, what a classic!  I have not heard that album in a while, it is time to bring it out.

R.I.P. Claudio
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 08:29
Just picked up "New" Goblin - Live in Roma (2011) at a Record/CD show this weekend, but I don't see this album listed on Goblin's discography here on PA.  Nor did I see a New Goblin listed in bands.  Guess it needs to be added.  I have not listened yet but it looks like it should be great with 3 original members still in the band.

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 13:14

Just picked up "New" Goblin - Live in Roma (2011) at a Record/CD show this weekend, but I don't see this album listed on Goblin's discography here on PA.  Nor did I see a New Goblin listed in bands.  Guess it needs to be added.  I have not listened yet but it looks like it should be great with 3 original members still in the band.

Woooooooo! I have this one! Sounds absolutely great .Wink
Such a great edition to my Goblin collection .
Really love it. 
Grab the LIVE IN AUSTINADO TEXAS double disc as well .you won't be sorry my friend .
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 14:12

Goblin splintered into many different formations: New Goblin, Goblin Rebirth, Goblin 4 of a Kind and
Claudio Simonetti's Goblin, Daemonia etc. etc ,etc.

That live album is great, love it...
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 08:19
^ Did not know there were so many Goblins running around LOL, that may explain one of the Roller albums I have in which the first song or two had recording audio problems.  It did not have the Goblin name, but just the names of the band members as the artist.

You (TheH) and Nick are right on, just listened last night, that is a great live album!  They are in strong form on that recording.  May have to look for that Live Texas recording as it has a DVD also.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 11:43

^ Did not know there were so many Goblins running around LOL, that may explain one of the Roller albums I have in which the first song or two had recording audio problems.  It did not have the Goblin name, but just the names of the band members as the artist.

You (TheH) and Nick are right on, just listened last night, that is a great live album!  They are in strong form on that recording.  May have to look for that Live Texas recording as it has a DVD also.
Available in blu-ray as well! Wink 
No 5.1 audio though. Sleepy 
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 15:54
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Woooooooo! I have this one! Sounds absolutely great .Wink
Such a great edition to my Goblin collection .
Really love it. 
Grab the LIVE IN AUSTINADO TEXAS double disc as well .you won't be sorry my friend .

I have this album but not the LIVE IN AUSTINADO TEXAS 
Inneres Auge View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inneres Auge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2018 at 08:07
May i suggest some hidden gems?

TRIADE - CARO FRATELLO (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q675D8UsMms)

You will leave your friends, you will leave your woman, who will be close to you, she will kiss your mouth, now tired of speaking. Then Death will have you. She will take your eyes. There are no angels, there is no one who will guide you, there will be only you.

But Death is Love. And with her you will know what Humanity is, where the Truth is, your voice is Freedom.

(I hope it's a good translation)

BUON VECCHIO CHARLIE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FARoJvBHAUo)

MUSEO ROSENBACH - DELL'ETERNO RITORNO (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg95sFUtYa4)

TRIP - VISIONI DELL'ALDILA' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtzGUdsIcr0)

CHERRY FIVE - COUNTRY GRAVE-YARD (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF5YYY2ndFk)

CLAUDIO ROCCHI - VOLO MAGICO N.1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WpyrRqEIXM)

GARYBALDI - MORETTO DA BRESCIA (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m61-zBfBpww)

IL VOLO - CANTI E SUONI (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FigxImeQL9U)

tribalfusions View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalfusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 15:40
Hi! I used to live in Italy but it has been a while and I have a question to anyone still living in Italy:

Which groups would you say are currently best known in Italy besides the obvious ones from the 1970s epoca d'oro?

Are any known outside of forums like Arlequins or here these days?

Feel free to break it down into more than one category. From the touring information I have seen, PFM has played the biggest venues of any Italian prog band in the past several years and I wouldn't think any new group would come close to that so perhaps we could separate classic prog from newer prog and also discuss some of the more prog-metal oriented bands too for that matter like DGM etc. So anything from PFM and Banco to Kingcrow, DGM, Labyrynth, La Maschera di Cera, L'Accordo dei Contrari etc...

Have any Italian prog bands been able to make the FIMI albums chart since the 70s and who plays the biggest clubs more often etc?

Anyone who might have some insight, please feel free to jump in!

Thanks!
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 18:12
Originally posted by tribalfusions tribalfusions wrote:

Hi! I used to live in Italy but it has been a while and I have a question to anyone still living in Italy:
Thanks!

Which groups would you say are currently best known in Italy besides the obvious ones from the 1970s epoca d'oro?

--- Apart from some initiates, some musicians, some passionate collectors, some progarchists or other members of progressive forums, nobody knows Italian contemporary progressive bands in Italy. I came here in PA to inform myself about the contemporary Italian prog bands.

---I dont think so.

Feel free to break it down into more than one category. From the touring information I have seen, PFM has played the biggest venues of any Italian prog band in the past several years and I wouldn't think any new group would come close to that so perhaps we could separate classic prog from newer prog and also discuss some of the more prog-metal oriented bands too for that matter like DGM etc. So anything from PFM and Banco to Kingcrow, DGM, Labyrynth, La Maschera di Cera, L'Accordo dei Contrari etc...

Have any Italian prog bands been able to make the FIMI albums chart since the 70s and who plays the biggest clubs more often etc?

--- I guess not. I sorry I cant tell you more. I can only tell you this, based on what I can know.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 14:20
Check out the new Celeste album

It's really good!

Edited by Todd - January 24 2019 at 15:05
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 04:08
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

Check out the new Celeste album

It's really good!

I have all their albums, so this will make a great addition to my collection Wink

Big smile
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 07:49
^^ Wonderful! Clap Best album of 2019 so far Tongue
tribalfusions View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalfusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 23:14
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Thanks!

--- Apart from some initiates, some musicians, some passionate collectors, some progarchists or other members of progressive forums, nobody knows Italian contemporary progressive bands in Italy. I came here in PA to inform myself about the contemporary Italian prog bands.

---I dont think so.

--- I guess not. I sorry I cant tell you more. I can only tell you this, based on what I can know.

Thanks very much for the reply. I hope you don't mind if I ask a few more questions. You mentioned you came to PA to learn about contemporary Italian prog bands; do you also use Italian language sites or forums and do you have any recommendations for those?

Is there anything more active than Arlequins in Italian in terms of forums?

What was your entryway into prog initially in Italy? Do you think there are any non-prog Italian groups which are better known and which might appeal to someone who likes prog? Perhaps something metal or like some of Pino Daniele years ago or Elio etc?

Thanks again!
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 05:57
^^

A thread about new Italian Prog bands on PE (1,688 Posts so far)

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 07:13

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Thanks!

---I dont think so.

Thanks very much for the reply. I hope you don't mind if I ask a few more questions. You mentioned you came to PA to learn about contemporary Italian prog bands; do you also use Italian language sites or forums and do you have any recommendations for those?

Is there anything more active than Arlequins in Italian in terms of forums?

What was your entryway into prog initially in Italy? Do you think there are any non-prog Italian groups which are better known and which might appeal to someone who likes prog? Perhaps something metal or like some of Pino Daniele years ago or Elio etc?

Thanks again!

It seems an interview... But I am sorry, I cant give you interesting answers.
I dont know italian forums about prog.

I knew italian prog in the classic way: Pfm, Banco, Orme... I prefer english prog, to be sincere.

I guess is subjective saying if there are non-prog bands which might appeal to someone who likes prog.
The reality is that I am not expert about contemporary italian bands related to prog. 
I dont like Pino Daniele or Elio e le storie tese. I dont like heavy metal. 

Here in PA I have found interesting italian contemporary albums.
I think that american members of PA know italian prog much better than italian fans. 

So, sorry... I cant say you more... 
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 07:23
Heh funny how that goes. I think the 1970s Italian scene is every bit as brilliant as the British - I may even prefer it to be honest.
But I tend to look past Banco, Orme and PFM these days. I much prefer Battiato, Battisti, Delirium, Osanna, Cervello, Aktuala, Area, Semiramis, Rocky's Filj and the like. Italy had such a vast and deeply eclectic scene going from the swampy almost Krautrocking avantguarde of Battiato's early work to the deep earthy colours of Delirium. The shift in style is immense yet there is still a warmblooded Italian handshake going on there - even if the artists never knew of each other. 
I find the same sort of thing happening in Germany at the same time with bands from either end of the country somehow conjuring up a similar feel and sensation in the music. Often without knowing of the other methinks.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 353354355356357 358>