Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 143144145146147 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 16:05
Very nice Andrea. I hear Battisti and Il Volo too.
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Cortese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 16:13
Mario Lavezzi from his second release Filobus (1978). Same sound, more or less.

This is the title track. Musicians involved are:

Gianni Dall'Aglio (bass)
Mario Lavezzi (guitar)
Maurizio Preti (percussion)
Mauro Pagani (violin)
Vince Tempera (piano)
Stefano Pulga (synthesizer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIH0KClb7q0
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 16:23
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Another impossible CD to find. Though I found it two hours ago on a bulgarian site and bought it for 22 euros. 10 minutes later, I receive a message from Paypal. Sorry, but the CD is not available, out of stock. But that's not the end. 15 minutes later I receive another message from the bulgarian site. Finally we have it, but, considering that the CD is out of stock, the price is not 22 euros anymore, but 122 euros. My answer ? GO TO HELL !!!!! The name of the site is Kupid.com.
PS : Cupide means greedy in french.

Now the other impossible Cd to find : EXPLOIT : CRISI (1972). the long suite is great.

Speranza

L'anima nuda (sounds spanish too)

I paid only $5 bucks for Crisi CD as I recall, I think that was a sale item at Wayside at the time..  I thought it was a bargain.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Cortese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 16:32
Another songwriter I like is Roberto Picchi and his 1977 album Raggi di Sole.

This is the title track (soft acoustic mood with nice flute, bass and sax).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaZ5U9oDqmM&playnext=1&list=PL91E5E8DAFAFE900B&feature=results_video

Edited by Andrea Cortese - November 25 2012 at 16:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 17:09
Jim, I think we all have our good moments by purchassing 70's RPI, but this time seems gone.

Andrea, this Roberto Picci is on my list of unexpected reissues ....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 17:13
With this one among hundreds ....

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2012 at 04:56

Me too, Z. It doesn't matter if it's more a compilation of singles than a real album. Viva Battisti !

Yeah!    I do like that one, perhaps for that reason? Same with 'Emotions' I guess - he's had some amazing singles.

Originally posted by Andrea Cortese Andrea Cortese wrote:

I love all Battisti's production up to 1980 (Una Giornata Uggiosa). Singles or albums make no difference with Lucio. Wonderful stuff!

Me too - I haven't ventured far past the 80s with Battisti, only a couple of albums. Generally the disco-influenced albums around that area (starting to feel it in 76?) I haven't enjoyed as much, but will eventually add more to my collection.
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2012 at 08:18
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2012 at 13:58
Another fine compilation :

TRACKS : FIORI ROSA, FIORI DI PESCO / 7 E 40 / PRIGIONIERO DEL MONDO / IL VENTO / 7 AGOSTO DI POMERIGGIO / UNA / INSIEME A TE STO BENE / IO VIVRO' SENZA TE / IL TEMPO DI MORIRE / LUISA ROSSI / NEL SOLE, NEL VENTO, NEL SORRISO E NEL PIANTO / DAVANTI AD UN DISTRIBUTORE AUTOMATICO DI FIORI.

Lucio Battisti - 7 Agosto Di Pomeriggio (Wonderfull instrumental from Amore e non Amore)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2012 at 15:17
GIULIO RAPETTI : MOGOL (Battisti's lyricist)

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2012 at 15:22
My esteemed colleague with another informative piece of work.  Bravo Chris!

Caccia Grossa  by ATONS album cover Studio Album, 1991
3.98 | 4 ratings

BUY
Caccia Grossa
Aton's Rock Progressivo Italiano

Review by seventhsojourn
Special Collaborator RPI Team

4 stars La gioia della Musica

After reading a recent review of the new Anglagard album by one of our esteemed collaborators I got to thinking about the impact the Swedish band have had and how it compares with the baby footprint left by Aton's, one of the leading RPI groups of the recent past. It's my understanding that Scandinavian and Italian artists were at the epicentre of the prog revival of the nineties, but whereas Anglagard seem to have had the Midas touch in that they produced one of the seminal albums of the decade, an album that is perhaps emblematic for the prog revival itself, an album that on its own has attracted something approaching one thousand ratings for the band - and their new album has already garnered nearly two hundred ratings - the six albums by Aton's listed on ProgArchives currently have a paltry seventeen ratings between them. And that inequable distribution of ratings is in spite of one of their tracks, 'Buio', having featured regularly on MTV.

In spite of their fringe status on this site Aton's helped to pave the way for the restoration in prog rock that was ongoing during the nineties, with foundations that were laid years earlier; they had actually been on the go since 1977 so were intrinsic to the development of Italian prog, even if their role appears unimpressive and they weren't able to flex the same kind of muscle as Anglagard. As an axis that unites seventies and modern RPI, Aton's must surely be one of the site's best-kept secrets and I'm genuinely puzzled at the paucity of reviews for the band. Okay, they are one of the more mainstream examples of the RPI subgenre and 'Caccia Grossa' stands for a collision of RPI, Neo-Prog and synth-pop that's about as far from the monolithic and menacing 'Hybris' as you could get. And while the 13- minute 'Sinfonia No. 2...' showcases Aton's at their most ambitious and symphonic, there just seems to be a touch of the burlesque to this rather mediocre and long-titled instrumental; for me their main strength is their songwriting. From the standpoint of degrees or levels of prog rock content, if you were to do a comparative study between 'Hybris' and 'Caccia Grossa' Anglagard's dissonance, virtuosity and complexity would most likely hold sway. But for me it's like trying to compare a windswept hike across the icy Scandinavian mark with a romantic cruise around the warm Mediterranean coastline in a lateen-rigged felucca.

Speaking of which the first sounds heard on the album are of waves breaking on the shore at the beginning of 'Maggio di Sant'Elena', Aton's majestic vision of Napoleon Bonaparte as the Romantic hero. The song presents the melancholy that rises in the emperor's heart and he cuts a lonely figure looking out to sea, driven to an inglorious end he did not foresee and haunted by memories of drum rolls and daring cavalry charges of victorious campaigns. I don't know whether Mark Knopfler ever heard Aton's but his song about the little corporal on his mid-nineties 'Golden Heart' album recalls the campfire jig halfway through 'Maggio di Sant'Elena' although Knopfler's song presents the common soldier's point of view rather than Bonaparte's.

If Bonaparte's exile on St Helena was his lowest point, prog rock was arguably at a nadir in the late eighties although that would soon change. Despite my early interest in Italian prog rock - I bought PFM's 'Photos Of Ghosts' and 'The World Became The World' on their original release in the early-seventies - I wasn't aware at the time of the depth of the scene in Italy, just as I wasn't aware of the mushrooming of prog music during the nineties. That revival might not have been possible without a combination of CD reissues, technological advances such as the Internet and the socio-political upheaval of the period. Some of these events have resonance on this album, such as The Velvet Revolution of 1989 and the subsequent collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991 which had a knock-on effect in Italy with its transition from the First to the Second Republic, from bribesville to clean hands. Additionally, the signing of the Maastricht treaty in the following year led to the European Union and from then everything, including prog rock, snowballed. Coincidence I daresay, but the Italian economy finally overtook that of Britain in the late eighties at the same time as the Italian prog scene was once again flourishing. Events like these seem to underpin the songs on this album and for me the titular tower of 'La Torre Tradita' provides a metaphor for the transformed and united Italy standing sentinel over the symbols of war, the arts and religion of the nation's past and future.

This engagement with Italian history seems to continue on the title-track (the album title translates roughly as 'Big Game Hunt') and this song depicts a forest scene with strummed charango reinforcing the pastoral feel. There's nothing in the music to transmit the plight of the forest inhabitants but when the lyrics come into the equation it's a different story. A shadow falls over the forest valley as a hunter and his dogs arrive to wage war on the birds and their little allies, like Il Duce and his Fascist militia during their March on Rome. The woods become a death-trap as the birds are torn feather from feather and a strange silence replaces the music of the forest. To me the song signifies the bravery of the Italian troops who were massacred when they refused to surrender Cephalonia to the Germans, or the burning alive of the villagers of Boves in 1943. (Contrast these incidents with the myth of Italian cowardice that resulted from allied propaganda during WWII, e.g. jokes about the number of reverse gears on Italian tanks).

After a lapse of twenty years since their debut, Anglagard's new album reinforces their leading position in the land of the prog giants. Meanwhile 'Caccia Grossa' remains criminally overlooked and I guess the final nail in the coffin for the album was that following its release the Contempo record company quickly folded (the album artwork of a warrior with downward-pointed spear symbolising universal destruction seems prophetic), with the result that finding a copy of the album is no halfpenny matter. If you see it on sale for a reasonable sum you should bite the seller's hand off. A recent discussion in the forum centred on a call for the introduction of a Melodic Prog category. If such a category did exist 'Caccia Grossa' would surely deserve to feature among its top albums because it's a true celebration of the wonderful gift of melody. Aton's may be lying in decay deep within the bowels of RPI obscurity but none of the shiny stuff of 'Caccia Grossa' has worn off. The band's name is taken from Aten, or Aton, the deified disc of the sun in Egyptian mythology, and the blazing light of the joy of music bursts forth from this rare treasure.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2012 at 18:27
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 11:48

Todd, the Canarciaslia's album is wonderfull. The third song withthe woman voice  is one of the beautiful thing I've ever heard.
The Roberto Cacciapaglia is the other good surprise. Kind of minimalism close to Steve Reich, but with something more, italian probably.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Cortese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 12:14
^^^

Did you get the 6cd italian progrock box-set?

I've got that one. Volume 2 isn't it?Clap

There are also:

a) the IBIS' last (not bad);

b) the STRADAPERTA only record (I don't like it);

c) the FINEST FINGER album by SENSATION'S FIX (good);

d) the classic LOCANDA DELLE FATE (a classic indeed).

Edited by Andrea Cortese - November 27 2012 at 12:18
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 12:25
Yes, andrea. Of course I have two Locanda now. The Sensations fix is very good, even if I prefer Portable madness. Ibis,I don't know yet. I'm one of the few who never liked the Sun Supreme (Horrible voices) album. Stradaperta Thumbs Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 13:32
Ritorno - Poa del Blocco Mentale 1974 : Such a beautifull song Heart

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 14:35

I like this Italian band.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 15:00
Very nice instrumental, Mr LSD.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 15:27
Bravo Andrea!Clap

La Maschera Di Cera  by MASCHERA DI CERA, LA album cover Studio Album, 2002
4.01 | 73 ratings

BUY
La Maschera Di Cera
La Maschera Di Cera Rock Progressivo Italiano

Review by andrea
Prog Reviewer

5 stars La Maschera di Cera began life in Genoa in 2001 with a line up featuring Fabio Zuffanti (bass, acoustic guitar), Agostino Macor (piano, organ, mellotron, moog, harpsichord, synthesizer), Marco Cavani (drums, percussion), Alessandro Corvaglia (vocals) and Andrea Monetti (flute). Their aim was to re-discover the sounds and the dreamy atmospheres of the Italian progressive rock from the early seventies writing new original stuff with a vintage taste. In 2002 La Maschera di Cera released an eponymous debut album on the independent label Mellow Records with a beautiful art cover taken from a drawing by Jean Delville, a Belgian symbolist painter, writer and occultist. It's a concept album built upon a science-fiction plot: under the ruins of an ancient garden an archaeologist discovers a mysterious mask of wax dating back to 10.000 years B.C. Then, in a near catacomb he discovers an armour of tin...

The opener, 'La maschera di cera' (The mask of wax) is a long suite divided into six sections. It begins softly, the atmosphere is dreamy and full of mystery... 'Face of wax / I saw you in the wide garden / On the day of the beginning / I couldn't hear your voice / But there was something in you that was telling of a thousand hopes...'. The warm voice of Alessandro Corvaglia perfectly interprets the feelings of the protagonist in front of the astounding discovery of the ancient mask of wax and something magic happens... 'Now I'm here / I'm walking on a tightrope suspended on the void / I can't go on...'. On the second part the rhythm rises, there's tension in the air. There's a kind of empathy between the archaeologist and the mask, he can learn from the mask something about his own life, he can see through it many things but he mistrusts these visions... 'Your people wear strange masks / I look at them / I can hear them / I can feel them inside of me...'. The third part is more relaxed, in the dark silence of a catacomb the protagonist discovers an armour of tin. As under a spell he can't wait, he has to step into his visions, in this new world... 'I looked at my soul / I couldn't come back...'. The fourth part features an acoustic guitar arpeggio and a dreamy mood, the protagonist has made up his mind and at dusk an unknown peace pushes through his heart... 'I'm trying to learn / I'm trying to understand...'. Then the rhythm rises again, there are organ rides and fiery flute passages while the mysterious mask becomes the master of a new reality, a guide that the protagonist has to heed and trust to walk along the ways of this unreal dimension... 'In your silence I chose something that does not exist / You will show me a new ego, a different world / But different from what?'. On the last part there's a reprise of the initial theme, the protagonist can't go on while burning dreams blend with reality... 'I can clearly see your face / Now I know who are you / The future is in your hands...'.

'Del mio mondo che crolla' (Of my world that is crumbling) begins with a nervous, pulsing rhythm section and a swirling flute solo, then the synthesizers bring on a sense of an uneasiness. The world of the protagonist is melting and what is left is nothing but the dark game of Death... 'Everything has been written / Everything has been told / And I have lost your light...'. He's drawn in a fiery vortex of shadows and lights, he's in a nameless desert now, his heart becomes numb, he can hear the voice of the mask fading out, he does not recognizes it any more, he feels like a nocturnal animal trapped in the house of the rising sun... 'My wide wings have vanished / I want to see my fate...'.

'Del mio abisso e del vuoto' (Of my abyss and of void) is divided into three sections. It begins with bass and flute in the forefront, there's an electric calm all along and you can perceive an impending turn of events. The protagonist looks at the sundown, he can still feel the breath of the mask on him, he feels lost, tired, defeated. He has been looking for that lymph inside himself for years and now realizes that he has burnt his freedom in the wind, crying. On the second section the atmosphere becomes darker and you can imagine figures of bronze dancing in a game of shadows on a lost island while the protagonist falls down in the abyss. Here the female vocals provided by the guest Nadia Girardi add a touch of colour to some passages. Then the rhythm rises and brings back a bit of optimism. Suddenly the protagonist can see that the world is changing, the face of wax has melted and now it is shapeless, he can see a light in the dark, reflected in the eyes of some statues, something is shining down in a deep well and above him in the cosmos. Now he feels weightless and he's able to come back up from the abyss... 'Maybe it's late / Maybe I've lost / Please, wait still for me / I can walk / I can see / I can fly...'.

The conclusive 'Del mio volo' (Of my flight) begins with a delicate acoustic guitar arpeggio and soaring flute notes... The atmosphere is dreamy and Alessandro Corvaglia's vocals seem to emerge from the early fogs of a September morning. The protagonist has wasted all of his words in pointless speeches, deceived by the flames of a false love, but now he's ready for a new start... 'A sudden light reveals the truth / I wake up as a little child / In a circle that will never be broken...'. Well, a magnificent album where the lyrics, art work and liner notes provide suggestive imagery and the music flows away without weak moments compounding beautiful melodies and complex arrangements. Even if it's a throwback of early seventies Italian progressive rock I think that this work should be a must for every prog lover!

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 18:16

Very nice instrumental, Mr LSD.

It is indeed Mr. Buckley.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 143144145146147 358>