Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181182183184185 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 12:08
I can't get excited about the album either, as with other Zuffanti projects like Hostsonaten.  So perfect, so textbook, so refined, great performances....and yet.....where's the remote?  They never *surprise* me. 

To me his work is like traveling to an amazing country (like Italy!) and then staying in the 5 star tourist hotel.  It's gorgeous and perfect, and yet almost removed from the experience you'd get by venturing off on your own and staying as a guest in a village where a feisty lady runs a boarding house.  She cooks the meals, her grandkids drive you crazy, but you feel as if you had an authentic vacation rather than riding the tourist busses and going back to your luxury chain hotel by the  airport.  I wonder if that makes any sense whatsoeverLOL

Given that, I respect the projects very much for their quality and success.  They help bring a wider group of fans to RPI with their success.

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 13:01
Very fair,my friend.The truth of this great music is elsewhere.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 16:16
A curiosity from 1980. A little too " eighties" for me  Stern Smile

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 16:56
Jim, I understand exactly what you're saying...Most of the Zuffanti projects are all so carefully and delicately performed, sung and arranged with not a lot in the way of real energy, spark or...life?

I have a few Hostsonaten albums and enjoy them quite a lot, yet sometimes it occurs to me (if I'm in the wrong mood for it) how bland they can be?

I will get this new album, simply because there are times where I actually want to hear something grand, sophisticated and tasteful!

But as you said, it's very easy to appreciate the guy for his talent and the status his name brings to the genre, but I know to look elsewhere for that punchy, lively real spirit of RPI!

Pierre, that Sphinx album, I looked it up, it's meant to be a metal album too? I have to say - robots AND Egyptian pyramids - now that's a winning combination I'm very curious about!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 17:07
All right!! Jim, you reviewed the Luciano album too!!

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=894243

I tried to do one of those `screen grab' things like you and Chris do, but I couldn't work out how to do it! But the thought was there!

Very fair review, Jim, and helped bring out the historical framing that album fits in to!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 22:22
Oh good Michael, I was hoping it made some sense.  I'm not against them really, they just never quite turn my crank.

Pierre, nice find with the Sphinx!  I passed them to the Symphonic team for evaluation. Thumbs Up

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 01:34
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Marcello Giombini :Trans Vita Express (1974)

Pierre, this is a very strange album!! More avant-grade/experimental/sound collage that actual music! It also had quite a sinister edge to much of it...little bits here and there reminded me of those early Jacula/Rex albums slightly...

I think if I was in a very down and depressed mood, this album would really speak to me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 01:36
Cool Jim !

Second solo work of Arturo Salteri from Pierrot Lunaire (1987).Fantastic sutff (if you like piano) Heart. A CD is available.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 01:43
I know Michael, but I can't help. I love trains Tongue

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 13:16
I bought  the Sphinx album ages ago for a few bucks , nice but a little to AOR.

There were two of my fellow German countrymen in the band, one of them the guitarist played
on the German prog band Pancake's first album.

The album was also released under the titel "Burning Lights" with a different cover:

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 17:18
Wow, I quite love all the keyboards on that `Sphinx' album, very much reminds me of the late 70's early 80's Eloy albums! Definate AOR vocals, a little like Alan Parsons Project, but not bad at all!

Cool find Pierre/Jim/H!
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 22:44
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 22:50
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Ok although Litto sings in Spanish and he is Argentinian his parents were Itialian I think Big smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 05:35
Sonia, that's cheating and you know it lol!

Just for that, you need to come back with a proper Italian prog song ASAP!

That's your detention homework/punishment!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 05:56
Pierre I'll be checking out that Stalteri and Giombini soon!

TheH, thanks for the info....symphonic is evaluating Sphinx as we speak.  Smile

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 11:48
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Pierre I'll be checking out that Stalteri and Giombini soon!

TheH, thanks for the info....symphonic is evaluating Sphinx as we speak.  Smile

Some interesting facts I forgot, the (half German half American) guitarst Metzger is much better
kown as Tommy Newton guitarist of the metal band Victory and producer of both parts of Helloween's
"Keeper of the seven Keys" albums (which sold over 3 Million copies)
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 13:09

A gem in my opinion
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 13:17
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

A gem in my opinion

Got this one as it came out first. Very good album. Good to see it was reissued now.

It's a shame that Kikko Grosso disapered from the scene. Loved those Asgard albums to.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 13:21
Seems the one and out bands are usually very interesting.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 21:24
Great track Leary!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181182183184185 358>