Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 217218219220221 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 11:36
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

But I get through a few a day, as I get to listen to music all day long at work. I try to get through a few new ones a day, then spend the rest of the day revisiting old favorites.

Ha, that is exactly what I do lol! If I go in by train to work, I listen to my Ipod from the time I leave my home, on the train back and forth, and all 8 hours at work!
Ooh, great minds think alike, I'm listening to that `La Maschera...' Le Orme `sequel' `La Porte....' for the review I'll be putting up in an hour or so. So close - but not really lol!

I did give several Le Orme's a spin at work last night!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 11:41
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

That's it, Sagi, you inspired me, I'm going to petition changing the name of this thread to `Dirty Drug Addicts Den' lol!

We can hold `Proggers Anonymous' meetings:

"So, Sagi, how long has it been since your last prog album?"

"I couldn't resist, it was an Italian rarity, I needed a hit, man!!"

This is true. Will change the forum name to the Italian Crack den. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 11:55

I did give several Le Orme's a spin at work last night!

Yes, it was your mentioning La Via delle Sete that made me want to pull it out again. What a nice album--I agree that Spitaleri's voice suits the music very well. I miss Aldo, but hey, it is what it is, and his solo stuff is very nice.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 12:12
I suppose Spitaleri's voice makes it harder to identify it as being a Le Orme album, but the playing, arrangements and sophistication are still all there! I was quite indifferent to it until quite recently, and now I think it's rather superb!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 13:25
Sagi, Nick, here's that Le Orme `In Ottobre' track I mentioned that was a lot of fun, I now see what you mean about that video not working...seems like somethings changing with Youtube use, having problems getting a lot of videos to work:

Better luck this time guys:

Le Orme - In Ottobre
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 13:39

Outstanding, Todd! I was umming and ahhing about whether to get this or not! Think I will...my new current order with Greg's Syn-Phonic is currently at 19 CD's (no vinyl this time ), so what difference would one more CD make lol?!

You clearly have far too much money Michael. i'll send you my address to send any spare cash. Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 13:43
Always good to see you Paul! I was referring back to your recent `La Maschera...' review a lot tonight as I wrote my own just now!

I'm lucky at the moment that the Aussie dollar is more or less the same as the US amount. I remember years back when it was at something like 60c, and each album cost a fortune!
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 22:21

For Pierre, they'd add :

"and might I add, you have the head of a duck...."

Heh, where's Jim/AEP, he'll totally get that Far Side reference!

Edited by AEProgman - May 01 2013 at 22:26
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 01:23
Big smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 06:16
That's the one, Jim/AEP lol! I merely changed `chicken' for `duck' lol!

Pierre will know this one well, but I thought I'd post up two tracks from a wonderful (and short!) album - Triade's `1998 - La Storia Di Sabazio' from 1973. The first side is instrumental, the second with four pieces with vocals. Dazzling RPI with a strong classical sound, and while I'm usually a total sucker for instrumental stuff, as much as I like it, I think the vocal stuff is even stronger. But the whole album is superb!

07 - Caro Fratello (oh, this track is sublime!)

08 - 1998

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - May 02 2013 at 06:18
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 06:27
Pierre, you might like to hear how the most recent Le Orme album with Jimmy Spitaleri sounded, here's the first two tracks, but as I mentioned the other day, the album is pretty much one long continious piece:

1 - L'alba di Eurasia

2 - Il romanzo di Alessandro

It's a very grand and classy album!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 07:34
Yo Mike! I do also like that Triade one, it's a beautiful little album. It certainly didn't impress me at first but slowly it did crawl under my skin.
I have a close friend who was looking through my vinyls in search of an idea for a tattoo. When he saw the Triade album he knew immediately this is the one. It came out as a stunning tattoo, and I'm sure the band members themselves didn't have their artwork tattooed on them, or don't know anyone that did for that matter.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 07:44
I love the Triade album Heart

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 07:46
Sagi, I was the same! It sure didn't impress me much on the first several listens. The instrumental suite seemed (still does? ) too fragmented, too full of little cool ideas and melodies that they never reprise or properly develop, meaning it's kind of all other the place!

But I've since come to really love it, there's not a bad moment on the whole thing!

Wow, was your friend an Itlaian prog nut?! If so, very cool that he wanted to get something that reflected the whole genre to him! I would LOVE to have the bravery to get the Magma `crest' tatooed above the inside of my wrist, but I'm too chicken! To me, that symbol would not only profess my love of Magma, but be a reflection of prog all round. One day perhaps....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 07:51
Michael, if you like the Triade album, you'll lsurely ike the Nino rota's soundtrack of Casanova. (one of my fav)

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 09:28

Wow, was your friend an Itlaian prog nut?! If so, very cool that he wanted to get something that reflected the whole genre to him! I would LOVE to have the bravery to get the Magma `crest' tatooed above the inside of my wrist, but I'm too chicken! To me, that symbol would not only profess my love of Magma, but be a reflection of prog all round. One day perhaps....

I introduced him to the italian prog but he became a nut after he made the tattoo...Ermm LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 10:30
Coming soon from Black Widow records....can't wait:

IL CERCHIO D'ORO - Dedalo e Icaro Lp / Cd

Second album for the Italian Prog Band from Savona influenced by PFM, Le Orme, New Trolls..with special guests PINO SINNONE (Trip), GIORGIO "FICO" PIAZZA (PFM), MARTIN GRICE & ETTORE VIGO (DELIRIUM).

Vinyl all the way for this baby for me....
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 11:23

Coming soon from Black Widow records....can't wait:

IL CERCHIO D'ORO - Dedalo e Icaro Lp / Cd

Second album for the Italian Prog Band from Savona influenced by PFM, Le Orme, New Trolls..with special guests PINO SINNONE (Trip), GIORGIO "FICO" PIAZZA (PFM), MARTIN GRICE & ETTORE VIGO (DELIRIUM).

Vinyl all the way for this baby for me....

Amazing album cover. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 11:30
Their first album was really nice, Nick, and it also had a stunning cover - Natch lol! Pretty sure that's written in stone tablets for the prog bible!

"Though Shalt Have Mind-Blowing Album Cover Artwork"

Otherwise, you get sent downstairs to deal with the fella on the front of Goblin's `Roller'!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 13:38
Oh yeah, 'il Viaggio di Colombo' - great album.  Can't wait for the new one.
I just spun Murple's 'Io Sono Murple' - another gem. 
Yes, and 'Orme's 'La Via della Seta' is a beautiful work with Spitaleri.
All thumbs up with most RPI Thumbs Up
(f**k, I'm gonna be late for work if I don't ditch PA this morning............)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 217218219220221 358>