Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 250251252253254 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 20:35
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Does it get any better. PFM the pinnacle of not only this genre but progressive rock.....in my opinion....thanks for over 40 years of beautiful music.

Their album Per Un Amico was my first RPI listen and one of the main reasons I dove into this genre.  Wow, 40 years and I have been listening only for 1.

Never too late to start. and I love the album too. It deserves to be ranked as high as it is here on PA...I think higher.
I would take PER UN AMICO over ANIMALS by Floyd any day.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 20:56
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Contrappunti should make your day (and nights), Jim Smile. Maybe my favorite. So much new directions here

Pierre, I've been listening to it in the car every day into work now, and I'm really suprised by the variety on it. You've got the psychedelic moments, the gloomy gothic piano/classical parts, the triumphant final track, the noisy instrumental stuff! A great album!

Maybe give that on a try next, Jim! Certainly pick `Contrappunti' over `Smogmagica'! More or less a dud, even though the opening track will really get your hopes up! It's really strong, and tricks you into thinking the whole album will be amazing!

Pretty sure that one had a really inappropriate American guitairist brought in as well, so out of place! That final bluesy/boogie track - what the hell?! Oh, and I never understand why people think that `Laserium Floyd' track sounds like Pink Floyd - NOT EVEN CLOSE lol! Maybe Alan Parsons Project at best!

Phew, sorry, rant over! Go `Contrappunti'!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 21:48
Did I hear the words Gothic Piano? Well...you got me interested...think you had me at Goth!
Forgive me. I'm on a goth craze right now.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 01:00
Just popping in to say that I've tried listening to the Goad album I have, 'In The House Of Dark Shining Dreams', and I just can't 'get it'. To me, it's complete rubbish - I can't say anything good about it - is it me ?? The production is murky, the playing is basic and sloppy at that, and the guy who sings sounds like he's on the verge of dying. The tri-fold LP packaging is the only positive thing about it......
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 01:04
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Did I hear the words Gothic Piano? Well...you got me interested...think you had me at Goth!

Well, it's like a very short interlude track, like maybe 3 and a bit minutes! It's full of quite somber piano that creates a very grey and moody atmosphere. Lots of moody classical drama in the 70's Italian stuff, Nick!

Never bothered with any Goad albums, Tom! But there's plenty of other good darker Italian albums on the Black Widow label worth checking out!
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 03:25
Compared to the others Stormy Six masterpieces, this one, with its eighties bass and drums, may seem weaker. But to listen again to it today, we realize how much it draws the outlines of modern RPI .

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 10:39
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Well, it's like a very short interlude track, like maybe 3 and a bit minutes! It's full of quite somber piano that creates a very grey and moody atmosphere. Lots of moody classical drama in the 70's Italian stuff, Nick!

Never bothered with any Goad albums, Tom! But there's plenty of other good darker Italian albums on the Black Widow label worth checking out!

Still sounds worth it. :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 10:46
^^ hello Tom. :)

My question for the den is, have anyone here had the pleasure of listening to the RPI group DPERD?

They have 3 albums at the moment and all are good. I highly recommend their latest addition KORE.
Great dual vocals (both Male and female) and is sung in Italiano, not English which I like.
The instrumentation is both heavy and soft with a pretty eclectic mix of instruments used.
Anyway. I think DPERD will please a lot of you. Just thought I'd share. :)    
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 11:12

Compared to the others Stormy Six masterpieces, this one, with its eighties bass and drums, may seem weaker. But <span style="line-height: 1.2;">to listen again to it today, we realize how much it draws the outlines of modern RPI .</span>

I know not a note of that band's music...but that cover art is SUPERB!

(Don't ask me why, I just like it.)
Emoni_Pandora View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emoni_Pandora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 11:13
Hey ProgArchives peeps!

This is Emoni Viruet, official cover artist and now chorister of Italian Progressive Rock band PANDORA
I wanted to share with you all this bit of news from Pandora's world, so I truly hope this is the right section to do so :)
The band's releasing their new album entitled "Alibi Filosofico" on SEPTEMBER 23rd, 2013 (next Monday!) and it'll be shock-full of incredible surprises! 

Here's the link to their newest single entitled "Né Titolo Né Parole" featuring the awesome ARJEN LUCASSEN (Ayreon, Guilt Machine, Star One), DINO FIORE (Il Castello di Atlante), and EMONI VIRUET (me!):

We'd love it if you could leave us a comment, a "like", share, subscribe, write us, whatever! The more the merrier! :) 

We also have DAVID JACKSON (Van der Graaf Generator) playing his sensational saxophones and instruments on the album... but you'll have to order the album and check it out for yourselves!! ;)

Thanks again for your time, support and hope to hear from so many of you!!

~ Emoni
More info on: www.pandoramusic.eu
Follow us on Twitter: @Pandoramusic1

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 13:15
^ Wow !!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 13:50
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Wow !!!

I second this reaction.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2013 at 14:45

Even though I've played it many times on Youtube, I was finally able to pick up an LP of this at a Record Fair on Sunday:

Really a damn fine album, I love it's frequently melancholic sound, the psychedelic moments and the noisy bombastic outbursts! Aldo's voice has a nice weary tone as well.

It does seem to get a little dismissed compared to some of their others from around the same period.

Boy Michael. More and more you are inspiring to buy the 11 disc box set of Le Orme's studio release collection.
I'm almost at my breaking point! Lol. :)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 00:46

Boy Michael. More and more you are inspiring to buy the 11 disc box set of Le Orme's studio release collection.

I've thought about getting that myself, Nick! I've got a screwy mix of some of their stuff on LP, some of it on CD and it kind of bugs me lol! I demand consistency and symetry!

I can't recall the exact albums the box set contains, but the majority of them are all superb!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 00:54

Compared to the others Stormy Six masterpieces, this one, with its eighties bass and drums, may seem weaker. But <span style="line-height: 1.2;">to listen again to it today, we realize how much it draws the outlines of modern RPI .</span>

That albums sounds pretty superb to me, Pierre. The 80's sound is not quite as dated as I expected, and I definately detected quite a similar sound to many modern RPI works!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 01:55
I never had the chance to explore more Le Orme, I have only two albums. Your comments are inspiring Michael, I'll see what's available in my record store.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 12:31

I've thought about getting that myself, Nick! I've got a screwy mix of some of their stuff on LP, some of it on CD and it kind of bugs me lol! I demand consistency and symetry!

I can't recall the exact albums the box set contains, but the majority of them are all superb!

Ummm...I think I can maybe wait 3 months till my b-day. I've got tons to listen to right now, but I sure would like some more variety of quality RPI. ;)
coasterzombie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coasterzombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 14:45
I would not recommend the 11CD Le Orme box.  The sound is highly compressed and lacks the dynamic quality of the originals.

The single Philips CDs should still be plentiful and available at a reasonable price.  No self-respecting RPI fanatic should be without at least Collage, Uomo di Pezza, Felona e Sorona, and Contrappunti.  Essential!!!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 14:59
That happens a lot with reissues, thanks for the info coaster!
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 16:38
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 250251252253254 358>