Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 252253254255256 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 19:11
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 01:47
Hey Den-izens, I'm wondering if any of you might have heard this one:

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=10380

I picked this up today for $10, was pretty excited to come across it, even though I know nothing about this band.

Opinions from anyone who may have heard it?
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 02:02
I actually own this one, a wonderful piece of work , reviewed it back in 2006 and gave it 4 stars. Fantastic musicianship and overall, a fine RPI addition. 
Enjoy it , Michael !
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 02:07
...and I came across your review about 30 seconds ago lol!

Thank you, Mr Roxy! I always trust your praise, so you've got me pumped to give it a spin now! The end of the shift can't come quick enough!

I also got Helmet of Gnat's `High Street', Morpheus - Rabenteuer', Aussie 70's electronic band Cybotron's `Implosion' and a few missing Glass Hammer albums `Chronomotree' and `Three Cheers....' at the same time, pretty happy with this suprising haul just from randomly stopping in at the local second hand music shop!
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 02:07
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Hey Den-izens, I'm wondering if any of you might have heard this one:

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=10380

I picked this up today for $10, was pretty excited to come across it, even though I know nothing about this band.

Opinions from anyone who may have heard it?

http://italianprogmap.blogspot.it/2012/09/tears-and-shadows.html

Here you can find Lithos' album:
http://www.jamendo.com/it/list/a48775/gabriele?autoplay=1

Other bands linked in some way to this project are Corte Aulica, Alma Sideris and Moogg...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 02:18
Thank you, Andrea! I'll check those pages out as soon as I get home!

It was a real nice surprise to come across that album today, even better to read several positive reviews for it on here already too!
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 15:41

Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Regarding Felona, it is one on my list that I just never got around to buying yet, just heard on the Tube a few times so I think it is high time I get it today. 

Well, Jim, you must have encouraged me, because I just ordered `Collage', `Florian' and `Storia O Leggendo' off Ebay! Filling in a couple of holes in my collection!

LOL, I got Felona  and Contrappunti yesterday.  Quite the different contrast is styles between the two.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 03:59
Florian is the record which would have composed Vivaldi, if the chap had the spirit in the song.

kayla View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
wtf is new york in China? aka Spam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 04:02
I LIKE IT
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 04:33
Originally posted by kayla kayla wrote:

I LIKE IT

The Spam-eth...have hit-eth...the fan-eth.

or something like that.

Thanks Damo!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - September 24 2013 at 04:37
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seventhsojourn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 12:53
Here's one for Pierre! Tongue

It'll probable end up in Crossover but should also be of interest to the guys in the Den.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 13:02
TongueLOL
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 14:03
Notabene are sure a fine band. I just have "Sei lacrime d'ambra"
their second album. Really great melodic retro prog.

Somehow I forgot to buy their first, will have to do something against that soon.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 09:44
Damn, five days without a post in here??

(sadly, I've been on nightshift, so kind of been neglecting RPI a bit).

But I did get to give the first couple of tracks of that Notabene album a spin, there's some terrific stuff on there! Those of you who don't know the album, see what you think of this one:

I love the really reckless and dirty moments in it!
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 20:22

Damn, five days without a post in here??

(sadly, I've been on nightshift, so kind of been neglecting RPI a bit).

But I did get to give the first couple of tracks of that Notabene album a spin, there's some terrific stuff on there! Those of you who don't know the album, see what you think of this one:

I love the really reckless and dirty moments in it!

Been on work travels of late and not peeked in here much, but gave this a listen just now, quite good!  I like the closing with the heavy, melodic guitar and violin mix.  First time hearing these guys, good!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 14:01
Thank you Jim! I came across that album by complete chance! I knew nothing about the band, but when I saw the lovely cover (even before turning to look at the back, I thought `That HAS to be a prog album! ), then noticing the Mellow label it was on, I decided to take a chance. I've only listened to it once, but it's very strong!

Pleasantly surprised!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 00:52
Hands up if you adore PFM's 'Chocolate Kings'........
......just had my taping of it going in the car, haven't listened to it for many years - flippin' awesome album, better than I recall.....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 15:07
Thought I'd quickly share an old familiar piece...from an album - `CELESTE - Principe di un Giorno' - that I've listened to quite a lot, so it really took my by surprise driving into work tonight by really moving me for the first time. The piano in the second half affected me in such a strong way.

Celeste - Favole Antiche

Hope you enjoy.

PS - Tom, I do have `Chocolate Kings', but it always bums me out how P.F.M ended up choosing a vocalist that sounded just like Peter Garbriel. Robbed them even more of an identity! Have to say, though, that hang-up really stops me from giving the album much of a spin.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 15:14
Marvellous stuff, Michael. I cry everytime I listen to that song. 

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 15:21

PS - Tom, I do have `Chocolate Kings', but it always bums me out how P.F.M ended up choosing a vocalist that sounded just like Peter Garbriel. Robbed them even more of an identity! Have to say, though, that hang-up really stops me from giving the album much of a spin.

I kinda feel the same Michael, although I do prefer his performance on Jet Lag. But it's not only the vocals the whole album has a cold sound to my ears, I guess it's the guitars and bass both have a punchy kind of sound. But of course don't get me wrong, it is a very good album with incredible musicianship, I just prefer the others (including Jet Lag Smile)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 252253254255256 358>