Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 261262263264265 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2013 at 12:37

Spanish, but RPI fans should like this.

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2013 at 14:54
I love that album Pierre! and you're right, RPI fans should feel right at home with it. Lovely symphonic stuff, with beautiful melodic vocals all over. Thumbs Up
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2013 at 21:05
^^ Will have to check out that Spanish RPI...would that make it Spanalian or Italinish...Wacko

Anyway, I forged into the modern RPI today with Ingranaggi Della Valle - In hoc signo.  Wow!
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 15:57
Next comeback:
Gleemen have a new Album out called Oltre...lontano, lontano

and there will be a DVD with historic Nuova Idea stuff
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 21:01
Enjoying this one hit wonder this evening for the first time. 
Amazing teenage band, sure beats today's teenage music....

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 21:19
Good stuff!   Jim there's an interview with one of the Semiramis dudes at Italianprog.com 

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 00:04
It is a great album, Jim....er, JimS lol!
Haven't listened to it in some time....I just remember the rougher energy it had! Sigh...another one to dig off the shelf!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 00:22
Love it.Heart  The singer, I think, was sixteen for the recording. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 00:27
That's one I wish I had on vinyl, Pierre....just look at that amazing cover, such a definitive RPI image!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 00:29
Me too, Michael. My look on this world !
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 01:41
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

It is a great album, Jim....er, JimS lol!
Haven't listened to it in some time....I just remember the rougher energy it had! Sigh...another one to dig off the shelf!

Remember? I thought you know the album backwards Wink
I think it's one of the greatest RPI albums of the 70's for those who likes the rougher side of it, totally psychotic stuff!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 01:59
Sagi, I used to listen to it all the time years ago, and like that Gianni D'Errico one and a few others, I just kind of moved onto other albums, even though they've stayed in the back of my mind and are actually quite special!

I've actually had a glut of new stuff to get through lately, so I need to make time to revisit some old favourites   
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 02:04
Yes naturally we all moved on but indeed it's always great fun revisiting the classics.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 02:12
Sagi, nothing like digging out an old favourite that you overdosed on years ago, and then you hear it again now - can be like an awakening, or having that excitement of hearing it for the `first time' all over again!

Recently discovered that thrill with PFM's `Per Un Amico'! Loved it years ago, then left it behind. I then listened to it a few weeks ago, and thought `Damn, that is pretty much a faultless album'!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 02:51
Well of course! You know only here in this thread I found out that people regard PFM as a "light" RPI band, as in not having enough italian flavour in their music. Well after thinking about it I came to the conclusion that yes they are looking at what's going on in england but still I think they combine just enough italian flavour, I guess their most italian album is the debut.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 03:29
If I may chip in here with something random.......
........has anyone taken the time to read the lyrics on the Acqua Fragile album 'Mass Media Stars' ??? They are by Marva Jane Marrow....
eg :
'There wishing their ax and pen
Weren't that heavy
Calling you 'cross the square
Oh, please,
Collecting a coin to get sick
Mad sipping a drop from a drip
Do knock right when your dictionary fails'
...........really hard to make heads or tails of most the lyrics on the album

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 03:35
I don't actually know that album, Tom!

Sagi, not sure if others feel the same way, but I always felt that after `Per Un Amico', the band seemed to kind of....`cheapen' themselves a little by incorporating more Genesis cliches. That's one of the big reasons why many people don't see RPI as it's own thing. I mean, even the singer on `Chocolate Kings' tried to emulate Gabriel, much to my annoyance. Although I've finally warmed to that album, I think `Jet Lag' was a big improvement in breaking away from the Genesis sound!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 06:20

Sagi, not sure if others feel the same way, but I always felt that after `Per Un Amico', the band seemed to kind of....`cheapen' themselves a little by incorporating more Genesis cliches. That's one of the big reasons why many people don't see RPI as it's own thing. I mean, even the singer on `Chocolate Kings' tried to emulate Gabriel, much to my annoyance. Although I've finally warmed to that album, I think `Jet Lag' was a big improvement in breaking away from the Genesis sound!

I totally agree with you my friend, although I do enjoy his singing in Jet Lag's last song Traveler, the opening keyboard theme is devine Heart
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 06:28

Sagi, nothing like digging out an old favourite that you overdosed on years ago, and then you hear it again now - can be like an awakening, or having that excitement of hearing it for the `first time' all over again!

Recently discovered that thrill with PFM's `Per Un Amico'! Loved it years ago, then left it behind. I then listened to it a few weeks ago, and thought `Damn, that is pretty much a faultless album'!

Hah I had that exact same experience Michael!

What really surprised me about it was just how complex it was. Impossible overturns in the music shifting from modern classical to folk to symphonic - done in an impeccable way no less. These cats were/are skilled! 
Part of the reason behind folks calling them light RPI is probably down to the vocals methinks. How could prog ever sound so velvety and sweet? That's something that belongs in pop right? Wrong. Harmonium's 5 seasons album isn't a light prog album either, but I've seen people describe it as such before. Again I think it's the vocals. Maybe also the breezy note of mellotron that features on both those albums.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 08:15
I notice that Cervello is now available on VINYL again.  If ever there was a title to splurge for....makes me wanna buy a turntable just to get that.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 261262263264265 358>