Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 269270271272273 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
The Prognaut View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Prognaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 16:06
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

DVD CD LP release by Alphataurus next month.

Seems to be an archival release, but don't know for sure...

Somewhere in between my last year's RPI discoveries, I came across Alphataurus and their self-titled album from 1973. Certainly a band that grows in you rapidly as you listen to their work over and over again. Good to hear they're releasing new material soon! Clap
break the circle

reset my head

wake the sleepwalker

and i'll wake the dead
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 16:36
I've been listening to Le Orme Felona e Sorona and I've started to realize why this album is considered a masterpiece, because I really like it.
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 14:18
Musea has now restocked the new DISTILLERIE DI MALTO Album.

BTF also have it now.

So don't hesitate!

Utnapishtim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utnapishtim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 14:52
This could ne a great surprise...do you think is crossover prog? How of RPI it has?
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 15:53
^^^Proggman - Great Le Orme album, although I tend to like "Uomo di Pezza" a little more.

Been getting into this one lately, Ricordi D'Infanzia...on the heavier side but good!  Thumbs Up

proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 16:39
Hello! AEProgman. (Jim) Smile Yes Uomo di Pezza is also good, but I prefer Felona e Sorona. Had to check out Ricordi D'Infanzia, because I've never heard them before. Interesting that they're a mystery band. I listened to the music and I like it. Thumbs Up
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 18:43
Something I haven't listened to in a while, but nice to dig it out again. Violin driven classical inspired Italian instrumental prog. A nice soothing and lush sound!

Armonite - Inuit and Amebah:

Looking back, it kind of reminds me of that recent Progenessi album, but with less electric guitar.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - January 16 2014 at 18:44
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2014 at 11:38
Originally posted by Utnapishtim Utnapishtim wrote:

This could ne a great surprise...do you think is crossover prog? How of RPI it has?

No definetly not crossover prog as it is not crossing into
non prog realms.

I would say a mix of RPI and symphonic prog with a little harder edge
here and there.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utnapishtim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2014 at 12:14
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

Originally posted by Utnapishtim Utnapishtim wrote:

No definetly not crossover prog as it is not crossing into
non prog realms.

I would say a mix of RPI and symphonic prog with a little harder edge
here and there.

Yes, I'm agree with you. Sometimes it seems to me that there is a little bit of eclectic. In some passages remember me King Crimson, but certainly more symphonic...
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2014 at 12:58
My favourite post 70s italian Prog album

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 04:13
Gentlemen, lets start a discussion!

What is the opinion on these two albums, or the band in general:

Acqua Fragile

Of course, they are more known for having the Peter Gabriel-influenced vocalist who would end up in PFM in the mid 70’s, there’s no doubt that these two albums have numerous Genesis-inspired sections (as well as Yes and Gentle Giant on the second album), and the vocals are sadly in English, but I have to give them credit for terrific playing, tasty arrangements and lovely production!

I can think of ENDLESS other RPI albums and bands for people to look into first, but they are still quite good.

Thoughts?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 04:23
Haven't heard the debut, but I really enjoy 'Mass Media Stars'. The lyrics are a bit, hmmm, strange and often make no sense. Musically quite excellent.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 04:26
I thought you'd dig them, Tom, knowing how much you like `Chocolate Kings'!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 06:13
^ Still love 'Per Un Amico' more....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utnapishtim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 06:34
Here we're talking about a band often forgotten or even poor valued, like PLANETARIUM Infinity, other beautiful prog gem produced.
Acqua Fragile was a great band more Genesis / Gentle Giant oriented ( as Michael said) similar to another band in Brit prog style, Cherry Five.

Their first album remember me sometimes Black Sabbath for vocal tones, but in general more "primitive" in sound than second. Anyhow a special album.
The second is an Icon I think, very interesting beautiful. I love it all but Coffee song is very memorable.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moogtron III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 08:37
I'm not too crazy about Acqua Fragile myself.
Well, they're okay, but I found the music nothing special, to be honest.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Robson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 10:54
For those who love like Organ: THREE MONKS at the highest volume ! Superb "rocky organ" or "organ rock"!

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utnapishtim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 04:49
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

I'm not too crazy about Acqua Fragile myself.
Well, they're okay, but I found the music nothing special, to be honest.

Maybe to make more memorable this band is the fact that it is a case a bit on the edge of the pop rock scene (RPI) in Italy. I want to mean that despite all Giants influences by the late 60s / 70s Brit rock (Deep Purple, Procol Harum, Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Genesis - the most influential bands) RPI has created its own sound also called "Spaghetti Prog". Other bands such as Acqua Fragile or Cherry Five, has followed an "English Line" staying connected to these bands.

This is what I think. Certainly they couldn't impress all the listeners, but they maybe need to listened better...Embarrassed
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 09:33
I only bothered with the first Acqua Fragile and didn't like it.....gave it two stars.  Just not my idea of RPI but others seem to enjoy it, so more power to 'emSmile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utnapishtim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 11:15
I don't consider them RPI, absolutely not. I think they are a band to know which belong to 70's RPI scene put in that timeline context but that they aren't RPI, probably more symphonic prog oriented.
Actually their first album is not the best, but I can't consider them so poor. The same suprise when I see that Planetarium has only 3,12 as evaluation.  

Are point of view, but however Jim surely has taste for music. Maybe one day you can change your thought, or maybe notThumbs Up...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 269270271272273 358>