Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 308309310311312 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 14:30
Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

new Italian prog band underway named Episcopio Vistarama

Hmm.. not to bad, but falls to much in the "Reasons why you shoudn't sing in English"
category for me.

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 14:36
^ Sounds good, thanks Uwe! The music is wonderful--I wish they had sung in Italian...

We will try to get the album and evaluate them. Thanks
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 22:34
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

Hmm.. not to bad, but falls to much in the "Reasons why you shoudn't sing in English"
category for me.

Yep.  Really unfortunate when a good Italian band uses English.  I have to pass on it as a matter of principle, for me as an RPI purist the vox really need to be Italian.  Just my opinion of course. 

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 09:44
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

category for me.

Yep.  Really unfortunate when a good Italian band uses English.  I have to pass on it as a matter of principle, for me as an RPI purist the vox really need to be Italian.  Just my opinion of course. 

Why is it important for an RPI band to sing in Italian? Many of the other well liked and highly rated  modern prog bands from other European countries sing in English. Opeth being just one example.

Edited by dr wu23 - December 09 2014 at 09:46
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 11:26
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

category for me.

Why is it important for an RPI band to sing in Italian? Many of the other well liked and highly rated  modern prog bands from other European countries sing in English. Opeth being just one example.

This could be a good answer:

http://www.e-prog.net/genre/language_culture.htm

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 12:26
^^

Actually I prefer bands to sing in their native language, Italian is a wonderfull
language to sing in.

My main Problem with that Episcopio Visatama vid is that the singer sings in a
terrible English which I find very distracting. He is actually fighting with the language,
and would most likley sound 10 times better in his native tongue.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 14:08

Actually I prefer bands to sing in their native language, Italian is a wonderfull
language to sing in.

This! This goes for Italian, Spanish, French and Japanese especially. Sometimes the singer can effect an accent that isn't too distracting when they sing in English, but at least half the time it doesn't work as well as intended.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 16:29
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

category for me.

In my opinion the gorgeous Italian language is one of the most important markers of the subgenre, integral to the rich and often romantic feel.  It is a stylistic component of the sub..one of the best features and why so many of us love it.  Too often when Italian vocalists use English the results are not so good...and I don't mean that as an insult.  I wouldn't do very good either if I had to try to sing in Italian.  Anyway though Doc, it's just my personal preference of course.

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 14:20
^ My preference also.

Its a little early for my annual Jacula - Tardo brush fire burn, but had to cut a few tree limbs away from the house and such, so I will bore the Den again with another Jacula - Tardo fire shot.  Nice day in the 50's to burn, supplied with headphones and 24 oz of High Gravity Rotgut beer.

The song "Absolution"  from Tardo just gets me every time.  Goose bumps and raised hair on the arms!

A loaded question for the gang, but what one RPI song gets that same or similar feeling for any of you?

Edited by AEProgman - December 12 2014 at 14:22
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 14:22
Can't remember which track it is, but one of the songs on the Metamorfosi album gets me every time...

coasterzombie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coasterzombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 11:32
Hello friends.

Antico Adagio by Lino "Capra" Vaccina has FINALLY been reissued by Die Schachtel.  Thought you all might like to know!

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 11:53
Wow. This sounds terrific.Thumbs Up  I need more 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 13:33
coasterzombie!  nice to see you back around my friend!Big smile

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 17:05
First video from the new Unreal City album is out, with the new album released in the third week of January 2015!

Pretty in line with the first album, although the second half gets a little more jazzy and heavier!

Man, their keyboard player Emanuele Tarasconi is a damn talent! Whole band is great!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 01:49
Michael, check out this one from the last Greg Walker's CD list. Argentina's progressive rock is so close to RPI  Thumbs Up

AVE ROCK - ESPACIOS 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8W5ol4EOsQ

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 02:00
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

First video from the new Unreal City album is out, with the new album released in the third week of January 2015!

Pretty in line with the first album, although the second half gets a little more jazzy and heavier!

Man, their keyboard player Emanuele Tarasconi is a damn talent! Whole band is great!

ClapClapClap

I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 02:00
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Michael, check out this one from the last Greg Walker's CD list. Argentina's progressive rock is so close to RPI  Thumbs Up

<span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri;mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-ansi-: FR-CA;mso-fareast-:FR-CA;mso-bidi-:AR-SA">AVE ROCK - ESPACIOS </span>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8W5ol4EOsQ

Pierre! I already sent off an order last night, and that was one of the titles I selected! Great minds, human AND duck, think alike, it seems!

I did like the Youtube clips I heard of it!

Thank you, my friend!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 02:21
The faster Kangoo of the fifth continent ! Smile

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 08:35
Pierre, on that same new Walker list, I was curious about this (Non-Italian again! ) title:

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=8031

The clips that I heard on Youtube didn't sound brilliant, but I still kind of liked them!

Would you recommend it?
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 19:44
^ Don't know about Pierre, but I certainly would! But I am a bit partial to the organ-driven prog from the late 60s/early 70s that clearly inspired this.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 308309310311312 358>