Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 327328329330331 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 12:55
I have a lot of listening to do but I have plenty of free time in my day. I've heard all of these
on YouTube but sometimes I knew halfway through that I liked it and moved on to the next one.
I usually listen to a CD at least three times before I file it away so I do have some listening ahead of me.
I originally collected a little over forty albums by Italian bands in the seventies but I'm surprised at how
much I missed back then.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 13:28
Concerning the number of masterpieces of 70's RPI, It depends on each one of us. All I can say personally ; it's that it's more than the double of forty. Big smile
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 13:49
^^ You're definitely correct, I have added almost forty CDs to the forty-four vinyl that I already had and
I passed on five or six CDs because they were in the $40 to $80 range.
Back then (70s) the availability of imports was minimal and there was no way to listen to albums before you
bought them. You usually had to trust someone that had already heard the album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 14:03
Very often , the record you listen the most before to buy it is not the one you'll love. With music you never know. 
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 15:03
Sometimes a friend's recommendation would not turn out so good. But at times that lesser album
would lead you to much better things by that band.
Also, in recent years my listening tastes have gone from mostly hard rock/metal and some progressive rock
to almost all progressive with an occasional revisit to hard rock.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 15:16
This is only the beginning. There are so much one shot bands here, with so many  musical propositions, mixing  prog, jazz, folk, Rio, classical or ethnic music. Lot of those musicians  didn't have 18 years. The singer of Semiramis was 16 when He recorded Dedicato a Frazz. 

Maybe you don't know the artist yet, but a great inspiration of the 70's movement was Lucio Battisti. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ-eQzWB-58
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 15:26
^^ I saw the album on your list but I haven't gotten to it yet. I will look into it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 02:44
Some favorite MAURO PELOSI songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fur91v_-mG0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVMiwufNA20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Icy6Fjve5g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBGifmr7UmM

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 05:17
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

This is only the beginning. There are so much one shot bands here, with so many  musical propositions, mixing  prog, jazz, folk, Rio, classical or ethnic music. Lot of those musicians  didn't have 18 years. The singer of Semiramis was 16 when He recorded Dedicato a Frazz. 

Maybe you don't know the artist yet, but a great inspiration of the 70's movement was Lucio Battisti. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ-eQzWB-58

Excellent choiceClap! While the majority of his output may fall outside the boundaries of prog, it makes for great listening in any case.  Out of his many albums, Anima Latina is the one that has the strongest progressive elements - though I would also recommend Il mio canto libero and Il nostro caro angelo to open-minded prog fans. Anyway, if I may toot my own horn, here's my review of Anima Latina, written a few years ago: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=269171

Incidentally, Battisti's long-time collaborator as a lyricist, Giulio Rapetti aka Mogol, also wrote the lyrics to PFM's masterful debut, Storia di un minuto.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 06:28
Your review was one of the reasons why I bought Anima Latina a few years ago Smile
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 06:42
Thank youEmbarrassed! It always feels great when somebody tells me that they have bought an album because of what I wrote. Now I hardly ever review anymore, but still hope things might change one day.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 12:11
TITO SCHIPA JR. Orfeo 9 Comes as a 3 DVD set (restored film plus 8 hours Bonus)

Arti & Mestieri's and Cherry Five's new Albums will come in June
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 13:02
^Cherry Five = autobuy!
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 09:46
A great new band in 70s style

I cant see the Video, so here is the link

Edited by TheH - April 26 2015 at 09:49
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Robson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 10:02
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

^Cherry Five = autobuy!

YUPPI YEAHH!!  Thumbs Up 

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 12:45
Some recent arrivals...

Franco Battiato - Sulle Corde Di Aries
Latte E Mielle - Passio Secundum Mattheum
Nuova Idea - Clowns
Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra
IL Balletto Di Bronzo - YS
Duello Madre - self titled
Biglietto Per L'Inferrno - Tra L'Assurdo E La Ragione
Delirium - Viaggio Negli Arcipelaghi Del Tempo

Listening to now on YouTube...Procession - Frontiera  (full album 1972)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 13:03
Mama ! Good evening, buddy Party
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 13:03
Clap  Wonderful job, Michael

Il Ballo delle Castagne - Soundtrack for an Unreleased Herzog Movie CD (album) cover

SOUNDTRACK FOR AN UNRELEASED HERZOG MOVIE

Il Ballo delle Castagne

Rock Progressivo Italiano

5.00 | 1 ratings

Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Special Collaborator
Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
5 stars The cinematic vision of German born film-maker Werner Herzog has long been a great influence on the work of dark Italian prog band Il Ballo delle Castagne. Paying homage to the director, `Soundtrack for an Unreleased Herzog Movie' is the fourth studio album from Vinz Aquarian's RPI group, arriving only a few weeks after their `Live Studio' performance, and it is their most lavish, diverse and multi-faceted work to date. Compiled and worked on from demos originating from various recording sessions for their past couple of albums, `Soundtrack...' incorporates more Middle-Eastern sounds than ever before from the band, with a rich concoction of space, psychedelic and gothic rock and even classical fancy that is still frequently identifiable as proper daring RPI. This sumptuous work offers a greater depth and complexity only hinted at on their previous albums, and never before have they released something so mature and varied as this gorgeous, exotic and darkly ambient work.

Ethereal gothic siren cries call through echoing crystalline caverns of the opening track `In the Garden of Popul Vuh', with spiralling dreamy harpsichord, drowsy horn and fragmented piano bursts in the final moments. The piece almost calls to mind Antonio Bartoccetti's Antonius Rex with its eerily seductive and uneasy dream-like atmosphere. Even better is the evocative mix of sounds throughout the highly disorientating and hallucinogenic instrumental `Lentus in Umbra'. Wavering psychedelic synths spin around wild harpsichord, a sporadic pulsing beat, low-key organ, gentle earthy hand percussion and thoughtful yet spirited acoustic guitar runs. Sweeter, almost romantic themes gradually reveal themselves along with a mix of regal and medieval flavours, and it covers many sides of the classic pure RPI sounds.

The dark spirit of Jacula and Il Babau & I Maledetti Cretini haunts `Il Pianto di Cristo su Gerusalemme'. Vinz's raspy narration frantically croons over Il Segno del Comando's Diego Banchero's murky bass, ruminating one moment then heading straight to the skies of space-rock heaven the next. Wailing voices courtesy of female singer Maetheylia, also from the last Comando album `Il Volto Verde', hisses, electric guitar distortion groans and droning sitar weave around harsh electronic slices and lustful electric guitar burnings, all growing in intensity as the piece climaxes.

Eastern themes ripple through the second side's `Profumi D'Oreinte', a brooding dark folk piece that is actually quite an accessible tune, yet still implements plenty of lavish instrumental character. Dark synths, sombre acoustic guitar and a breathy unearthly vocal over rattlesnake-like percussion form the piece, with careful washes of scratchy Mellotron wisps and some stirring electric guitar soloing from Roberto Lucanato in the later half. Ten minute album closer `Sicut in Caeloo' displays the most restraint and supreme taste of all. After a gloomy narration gets out of the way, the track solely becomes a ghostly melancholic classical piano piece full of moody drama and great subtlety, a true showcase for Marco. It's as equally darkly thoughtful and exquisitely beautiful as it is haunting , and it's a very stark yet confident way to end a most unexpected of albums.

Despite several solid albums already in their discography, `Soundtrack for an Unreleased Herzog Movie' is truly Il Ballo delle Castagne's boldest, most sophisticated and defining musical statement to date. 2015 may have already offered several standout Italian progressive releases, but this sounds like nothing else entirely, and it could be a real kick up the ass to ignorant listeners under the impression that all RPI albums are bombastic keyboard-driven symphonic prog. Italian progressive aficionados absolutely need to investigate this wickedly addictive, exquisite collection that hides buried deep within that spicy hint of danger that inhabits all the best Italian progressive albums, and the band have delivered not only a career best work, but one of the strongest Italian releases so far in 2015. Go on, take a walk on the dark side with Il Ballo delle Castagne.

Five stars.

Edited by Finnforest - April 26 2015 at 13:03

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 13:29
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Mama ! Good evening, buddy Party
Listened to all on YouTube and had to have them.
I already have Museo Rosenbach and IL Balletto Di Bronzo on original vinyl but after finding
out their value I decided to retire them. Now I can listen to the CDs anytime I want.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 13:43
I'm just finishing up AlieNatura by Il Tempo Delle Clessidre.
My recent purchases have been to get things I'd missed before and  to find newer bands.
This album is a plus in that regard since I like it all.
Aside from the very good piano and organ there is a lot of guitar which is fine with me.
The vocals are serious and sometimes moody but I get the feeling that was intentional.
I'm very pleased with the overall album and give it a solid four stars.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 327328329330331 358>