Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 349350351352353 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2017 at 14:57
It is something of a miracle tbh. I was not expecting to be this blown away but it seems some of the new kids on the block understands how to woo this dane.
On my second spin of Avenoth right now and it sounds better than the first, although I still would prefer a more erm subtle production.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2017 at 16:40
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I guess its an honor to be ripped off by a legend like Mellow...

Where's my check for .10 cents, Mauro???  AngryLOL  I could use it!

Heh! I've had the experience of a band (that shall remain anonymous, and no, they weren't an Italian band so there was no `language barrier' issues! ) that I mentioned I posted a very positive review of their latest album to (when there were pretty much NO reviews of it anywhere), they never acknowledged my message, not even a single word `thanks', but then proceeded over the next year and a bit to use part of my review in a lot of their promotion, quotes, press, etc. It started popping up all over the net. I'll admit, I was a little steamed about that one!

I don't write nearly as often as you two, nor as well, but here's a bit of my experience with this.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2017 at 16:41
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

It is something of a miracle tbh. I was not expecting to be this blown away but it seems some of the new kids on the block understands how to woo this dane.
On my second spin of Avenoth right now and it sounds better than the first, although I still would prefer a more erm subtle production.

So glad to hear it--it's such a fertile, diverse field that there will be something for every progressive fan if they keep looking.

My Gnosis Ratings

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2017 at 16:54
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

I don't write nearly as often as you two, nor as well, but here's a bit of my experience with this.

Ah, yes, I remember! And actually, I recently bought that album, got it in my last order with Greg Walker a month or two ago! Haven't listened to it yet though!
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 00:31
If I understand well, there is not more than the Duck to be converted Big smile
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 05:30
Why are Italian Prog albums so expensive?   New or used, the prices seem high to me.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 01:37
Anything that comes from Italy is expensive. 

Afficher limage dorigine
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunBun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 08:51
^ im learning that too. I was just complaining that italian albums can be so much money, and some are so hard to find but whatever, Im patient and I can get some for okay prices. Maybe I'll just move there lol
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 09:21
Originally posted by BunBun BunBun wrote:

^ im learning that too. I was just complaining that italian albums can be so much money, and some are so hard to find but whatever, Im patient and I can get some for okay prices. Maybe I'll just move there lol

http://www.synphonic.8m.com/country/italy.htm

My Gnosis Ratings

Barocknroll View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barocknroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 09:20
Signs of life from complex and internationally acclaimed Barock Project.
Looks like we have a new ton on notes coming... in 2017 
https://youtu.be/3wQkspbIdcY

Aled91 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aled91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2017 at 09:46
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2017 at 10:18
I like this one very much:

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2017 at 10:32
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

production, shmoduction. only men can talk about that! I don't think any woman would ever complain about the production of an album. it is the music that counts, not the f.....g production!

many early prog albums (and non-prog too) were what you would call "badly produced". but I don't care at all! on the contrary; a so-called "perfect" production makes the music appear sterile. it is the little imperfections that bring music to life. this is one of the reasons why I much prefer live albums to studio albums. Friede shares my opinion, by the way

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Pigab View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pigab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 05:54
Speaking about nowadays Italian prog bands, you guys should check out:
- Nosound (!!)
- Fabio Zuffanti
- Il Rumore Bianco (I saw someone posted a video already)
- Promenade

It's a very interesting panorama in my opinion
CaP View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 04:42
New record from Maxophone (La Fabbrica delle Nuvole, released through AMS records) available starting from TODAY.
I'm buying it in 3, 2, 1...

and, regarding to this
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

many early prog albums (and non-prog too) were what you would call "badly produced". but I don't care at all! on the contrary; a so-called "perfect" production makes the music appear sterile. it is the little imperfections that bring music to life. this is one of the reasons why I much prefer live albums to studio albums. Friede shares my opinion, by the way

I disagree. I think a good production is something that increases the pleasure of listening to music: good music with bad production is like a dress made with wonderful fabric but badly sewn: you have a great raw material, but you could have a better finished product. Anyway... I'm a man, so I guess you are right LOL
E per tutti il dolore degli altri è un dolore a metà
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 13:16
Originally posted by CaP CaP wrote:

New record from Maxophone (La Fabbrica delle Nuvole, released through AMS records) available starting from TODAY.
I'm buying it in 3, 2, 1...

and, regarding to this
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I disagree. I think a good production is something that increases the pleasure of listening to music: good music with bad production is like a dress made with wonderful fabric but badly sewn: you have a great raw material, but you could have a better finished product. Anyway... I'm a man, so I guess you are right LOL

Well somebody has their thinking CaP on.
Very much agree. A&R is a very big deal to me.
Serious audio gear won't let you tolerate poor A&R.
Too many imperfections exposed takes largely away from the music.

Albums with solid A&R?

Logos's "The Enigma of Life" is one damn fine sounding RPI album.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 11:21
Wow!  Just got this CD and love it, 2 albums in one.  L'Uomo and Milano Calibro 9.  Since the only album by them I have or heard is Palepoli, I was pleasantly surprised when I heard these two!

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 23:54
^ Inspite of it being very short I actually prefer Milano Calibro to L'uomo, great album!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 00:12
I've got that exact same version too, Jim, played very often it is too....in fact, might do so right now, it's on my Ipod here at work!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 14:08
Anybody else been enjoying the Panda Fight Club's `Ultimo' debut from 2015? Has a heavy guitar sound and tough vocals, not unlike other modern groups like Il Bacio della Medusa and Civico 23.

I'll likely be adding them to the site tomorrow - long overdue too!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 349350351352353 358>