Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 13:50
Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

^ That sounds like a really nice album Andrea, thanks for bringing it to my attention. Thumbs Up

Paul, as far as I'm aware, Synphonic, Kinesis, Doug Larson, Amazon etc don't have this. There are a couple of Japanese sellers on eBay that have it for about £25. A bit pricey, but worth it I think. Smile

Thanks Chris, £25 quids a bit steep for me to be honest. To pay that much it would have to really want it desperately and then only after a few months of hunting. I've sometimes managed to turn up some pretty obscure and rare albums at record fairs, on ebay etc for quite cheap prices. Usually requires a bit of patience though but sooner or later many turn up.Smile
topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topographicbroadways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 17:14
I listened for the first time to Reale Accademia De Musica self titled album earlier and found it very striking, 
it was like know italian prog i have heard before. From Le Orme, PFM, Banco and Quella it was a stream of epic symphonic which i fell in love with straight away, but on Reale there was something unique i havn't heard from anyone else in this scene and it was a thoroughly enjoyable album.
topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topographicbroadways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 17:17
I just ordered Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra  

I can't wait to hear it, i hear it is one of the greats and i have yet to be disappointed or underwhelmed by a recommendation like that
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 17:23
Oh trust me Topo, you will love Museo.  It's wonderful.  I need to throw that one on again.  Smile

seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seventhsojourn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 17:26
Yep, look forward to maybe reading your review of that one Topo. Thumbs Up
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 06:30
Originally posted by topographicbroadways topographicbroadways wrote:

I can't wait to hear it, i hear it is one of the greats and i have yet to be disappointed or underwhelmed by a recommendation like that

It's a fantastic album, you did well to find it actually as it's not easy to come by. Took me about 2 years of searching to find it at a reasonable price I seem to remember. Enjoy!

That first RAM album is another gem.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 07:17
I've seen only today that "I Pooh" are on PA...how could it happen? The team has rejected my Barret-inspired Jennifer Gentle and gave room to one of the worst mellow italian mainstream? I agree that they have been on stage for more than 40 years and have done some beat in the 60s, they are very skilled musicians, but they are pure pop and not of the best kind...

Recently I went into "Il Castello di Atlante" and "Nuova Era".  Very good stuff. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Pirx the Pilot View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirx the Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 08:42

Yeah, the Reale is a nice release.  The Museo, on the other hand, is out of this world.  The only thing that bothers me is the quality of the recording (Sony/BMG).  There's a lot of buzzing that is quite noticeable at low volume.  Could be that there's just such a wide volume range that I crank it a little too loud... Smile

Edited by Pirx the Pilot - August 02 2010 at 08:43
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 12:03
Originally posted by Pirx the Pilot Pirx the Pilot wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Same here Pirx.  It is the beauty of the music which speaks to me, rarely do lyrics matter for my enjoyment.  Whether English or non-English, content is always far secondary to the music for my enjoyment.  And Italian vocals are so cool because they are expressive in sound, even if one does not comprehend the language.  

This just sparked a very interesting conversation I'm having with my girlfriend right now about lyrics and music.  For her, it's the music that draws her in - if the lyrics are in anyway meaningful, all the better (she was using Marillion as an example).  Then there are the folks who relate to what many bands have to say despite the music (I'm thinking country music, here - ugh)...

While that is true, for me there are times when understanding the concept/lyrics add to (or occasionally detract from) my overall enjoyment of the music.  For that reason, I really enjoy Andrea's analyses.  For example, one of my favorite RPI albums is Procession's "Frontiera."  I loved the album from the beginning, but Andrea's explanations about the concept of migration only enhanced my enjoyment.  But I definitely don't need that dimension to love it!
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 12:25
While not as symphonic as the first album, the "second" album with Adriano Monteduro is quite good.  And the long-lost real second album, called "La Cometa" is finally officially available and is also very good.

My Gnosis Ratings

Pirx the Pilot View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirx the Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 12:28
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

For example, one of my favorite RPI albums is Procession's "Frontiera."  I loved the album from the beginning, but Andrea's explanations about the concept of migration only enhanced my enjoyment.
Now there's an album I don't know...

By the way (and to Jim as well), I listened to the new Areknames last night and again on my way to work this morning - very good stuff.  It brought Thork to mind more than Arachnoid, but based on one sleepy first listen and another distracted by my commute. Tongue

I also just now listened to the first 20 minute track on UTO's Magus...  Zounds!!  Amazing stuff.  Can't wait to get out of work and listen to the rest.  A big thanks for the recommendation.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 13:30
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I've seen only today that "I Pooh" are on PA...how could it happen? The team has rejected my Barret-inspired Jennifer Gentle and gave room to one of the worst mellow italian mainstream? I agree that they have been on stage for more than 40 years and have done some beat in the 60s, they are very skilled musicians, but they are pure pop and not of the best kind...

Recently I went into "Il Castello di Atlante" and "Nuova Era".  Very good stuff. 

It is accepted that I Pooh are primaily a pop group and only got accepted by PA for a couple of albums or so. However it is PA's policy to include all albums by a band if they are deemed of being worthy of inclusion at all, even if only on the strength of one album. Notice though that they aren't in RPI and are in the crossover section, more suited to bands with a more mainstream approach.

Good choice for your recent listening selections. Thumbs Up
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 13:41
L'Ippogrifo
Il Castello Di Atlante Rock Progressivo Italiano

Studio Album, 1995
3.90 | 7 ratings
BUY

Review by octopus-4

Il Castello di Atlante is an invention of the XV century Italian poet Ludovico Ariosto. His masterpiece is "L'Orlando Furioso" and this is what "L'Ippogrifo is about". In few words Atlante is a magician whose Castle is a trap: everybody approaches the castle sees inside the thing that he desires more, so one is trapped into the castle by his own desires.
The band was formed at the beginning of the 70s, but they published their first album only in 1992. This means that also their first albums are "mature". Because of the arrangements and the production they could be considered neo-prog, but their roots are clearly symphonic. In years when bands like Banco and PFM followed the "Genesis trend" trying to become more commercial, this band was doing the good progressive as can be listened in this album.

While the music is inspired mainly by Genesis, or maybe Marillion, the vocals are typical of RPI. The first track can be compared to some long songs of the Fish era. I have Forgotten Sons in mind.
"Volta la Pagina" starts with acoustic guitar and keyboards (I think it's not a flute). Here the reference can be the early PFM but also Alphataurus. The violin part is very nice and leads to various changes in tempo.

The title track is quite an epic, and the lyrics are about an episode of the mentioned "Orlando Furioso". Astolfo, the name can be easily catched, is one of the characters involved. The intro has a medieval taste until a Genesis like keyboard first, and piano later lead to the sung part. The coda is acoustic, conducted by piano, violin and bolero-drumming to the fadeout.

"E recito anch'io" is very close to PFM, specially the first 3 minutes.

"Pioggia" is a short melodic track. It looks like a filler, but is not bad anyway. It has a symph arrangement and reminds to some Jon and Vangelis. "Chrysalis" starts on the same pitch, so it's like Pioggia is just an intro to this track. This one is an auto-biographical song about the band in pure RPI style. I mean that this sequence of chords can be found in a lot of other RPI songs, but this is the kind of things that help in defining the stabdards of a sub-genre. Again very PFM, mainly because of the violin.

The closing track starts with bass and drums followed by piano. It's evident that the band's roots are in the 70s. A melodic instrumental of about 7 minutes. Not the higher moment of the album. It looks like they had to complete the recording "in time", a session put on tape without the care of the other songs. It could have been developed better, specially in the guitar solo that's not very impressive.

With a bit more effort it could have been a 4 stars album. It is for the first half, but the overall rating can't be more than 3.
- - - -

Nice review...

You can find an interesting interview with the band HERE

You can watch a whole concert of the band clicking HERE

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 13:44
Vault Pick - I'll borrow Chris's great review of this more recent excellent album Clap.....

Discesa aglinferi dun giovane amante by BACIO DELLA MEDUSA, IL album cover Studio Album, 2008
4.19 | 66 ratings

BUY
Discesa agl'inferi d'un giovane amante
Il Bacio Della Medusa Rock Progressivo Italiano

Review by seventhsojourn
Collaborator RPI Team

4 stars Discesa Agl'inferi D'un Giovane Amante is the title of the second album by Italian band Il Bacio Della Medusa. Although it was released as recently as 2008 it is highly typical of the classic RPI of the 1970s. It has been described as a concept album, the subject of which is the descent into Hell of a young lover. However it might also be appropriate to think of it as a rock opera, and one of the tracks is even titled Recitativo. For those of you who may not know, recitative in opera is sung narration. On this occasion more than any other I wish I understood the Italian lyrics, as the highly dramatic nature of this music has severely piqued my interest. Fortunately, PA Reviewer Andrea's review of the album incorporates a detailed synopsis of the plot.

The album opens and closes with some acoustic pieces that have a quasi-chamber music quality. Sandwiched between these is the meat of the album, a mixture of mostly heavy songs and instrumentals. In addition to the classical influence alluded to above, there are also elements of jazz and folk music on Discesa. All the tracks flow into one another, which enhances the feeling of grand scale on the album.

An approaching wind effect heralds Preludio: Il Trapasso, which features a beautiful yet doleful melody. Piano, flute and violin are joined by Simone Cecchini's grieving vocals. Confessione D'un Amante continues in a similar vein and employs the same texture as the opener. Piano arpeggios support the bittersweet violin melody, and on this song Cecchini's voice has a slightly harsher quality as he sings those gorgeous sounding words. Divine.

La Bestia E Il Delirio is the first instrumental track and features two main musical ideas. The first is a heavy, jazz-inflected theme with swirling organ, raucous electric guitar and staccato flute-play. The second theme is a sprightly bucolic dance featuring flute, pizzicato and bowed violin, and handclaps. It includes an accelerando that really gets the foot tapping, followed by some stops and starts before the first theme is reprised. The manic closing section features an organ and Moog joust that is only interrupted by a psychotic laugh. Thunder claps and a peeling bell introduce the ominous Recitativo: E Nel Buio Che Risplendono Le Stelle. A marching drumbeat accompanies the malevolent spoken word vocal, with evil laughs, whispers and gasps in the background. Creepy stuff. Some tormented screams introduce a heavy guitar and sax riff, with flute joining in toward the end.

Ricordi Del Supplizio continues in heavy mode with fuzzed organ and Eva Morelli's superb flute-play. Cecchini's singing is gruffer here and the torrid guitar and drums make this one heck of a rocker. There are a few moments of respite with the medieval-sounding intro of Nostalgia, Pentimento E Rabbia, featuring flute, acoustic guitar, vibes and sonorous drum rolls. The mood changes with a loose, swing-time rhythm and Simone Brozzetti's wah wah guitar. Cecchini's venomous vocals alternate with Morelli's flute in an anguished antiphon. A blistering guitar solo and a galloping rhythm on the bass and drums lead to a brief recapitulation of the swing riff.

Sudorazione A Freddo Sotto Il Chiaro Di Luna is the second instrumental track on the album. It also has a swing feel at its start with sax and organ to the fore. A heavy guitar and organ riff follows, before the track settles down with acoustic guitar, vibes and misty flute. Electric piano and jazzy guitar join in along with the rhythm section, producing a pleasantly laid-back groove. Some weird sounds lead to another heavy section where the organ mimics a storm, and the entire track is rounded off with a beautiful organ melody. The acoustic guitars and legato flute of Melencolia give it something of a Genesis air, although with distinct Italian vocals of course. Electric piano and whispered backing vocals further enhance the downcast mood of the song. Exquisite.

E Fu Allora... is a rather nondescript instrumental that mainly features jangling guitar and sax, although Brozzetti does impress with a sobbing fuzzed guitar solo. After its subdued intro, the tempo of Nosce Te Ipsum picks up with some lovely interplay between violin, organ, wah wah guitar and a hint of sax. Another stop-start section leads into some heavy riffing, then a heavily syncopated part.

Corale Per Messa Da Requiem witnesses a return to the chamber atmosphere from the beginning of the album. This is an elegiac choral piece that reflects the sorrowful mood of the subject. Epilogo then closes the album as it had started, the final notes being a beautiful ritardando that fades in the wind.

If you are a fan of RPI but don't have this in your collection I would urge you to buy a copy of this incredible album at the earliest opportunity. For those who only have a passing interest in Italian prog I would still recommend it highly.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seventhsojourn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 16:34
My copy of Clowns arrived this morning... looking forward to my first full play. Been listening to Finisterre albums most of the day; working on it guys, honest! Smile And you're right Jim, In Limine is a very unusual album... but also very good!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seventhsojourn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 16:48
OK, let's just have the full review. Wonderful! Clap

In Limine by FINISTERRE album cover Studio Album, 1996
3.75 | 20 ratings

BUY
In Limine
Finisterre Rock Progressivo Italiano

Review by Finnforest
Special Collaborator Honorary Collaborator / RPI Specialist

4 stars One of Italy's finest recordings of the 90s

So, so good. When I complained a bit about the relative lack of surprises in Finisterre's most recent album "La Meccanica Naturale" I had yet to become fully acquainted with their second album "In Limine." So it's a bit ironic that they answered my main criticism almost to the letter and then went on to land a square knockout punch to my prog jaw. I am very comfortable calling "In Limine" one of the coolest progressive music albums of the 1990s. So many (though not all, of course) of the modern prog releases from the Neo and Symphonic genres leave me decidedly unimpressed with their shiny, visual arts firm designed packaging, their clichéd affirmational lyrics, their cheesy sing-song choruses and most disturbingly, their predictability. As I've mentioned before I can grab one of these supposed new masterpieces, listen to one song, and know exactly what the next 65 minutes have in store for me.ouch! This is not that experience. "In Limine" gives you quality modern prog with touches of folk, great beauty, and eclectic surprise. You will experience lush classical touches, dreamscapes, and jazzy teasings. You will hear great performances of organic and acoustic sounds that pay homage to the 1970s masters, but do not simply attempt to imitate. You will not know what the whole album holds in store after hearing the first track. You will not be able to sing along to everything, you might occasionally be turned off by seemingly abrupt changes of mood or style (and thank God for that.) You will remember what a great prog experience feels like and you'll ask why more bands can't make albums with this much personality and irreverence for musical vanity. Some complain the album lacks direction and while there is some truth to the charge, for me the music is so satisfying that it overcomes any sniff of having too many cooks in the musical kitchen.

"In Limine" begins with a brisk flute like dancing that trades with guitar, each part having a different drum part. Soon the keys begin to intrude but are quickly interrupted by the flute dance again. They return for some really cool stereo panning effects and nice melody. Then things change to jazzy piano and unsettling chaos of different instruments and it gets dark. Soon the flute leads us from the darkness with gorgeous melody which leads to a lovely Gilmour-ish sounding solo with organ behind, oh man this is nice. "XXV" starts with flute and acoustic going right into the first vocal, very laid back and pleasant. The music is a mix of keys, acoustic guitar and some woodwinds. Another lovely guitar solo with good bass and drumming behind it. Things gets blissfully like a dream or a drug trip on "Preludio" with its whispers, secrets and more whispers. You hear these clearly audible people speaking to each other but you can't quite make out what they're saying. In front of that you have droning bass and wave upon wave of electric guitar notes rolling over you, joined by saxophone too I believe. This is the kind of strange and mystifying track that we should expect more of from current artists. "Ideenkleid Leibnitz Frei" is a fairly avant piece for Finisterre, the first half being a rough and chaotic frenzy of sounds. The second half is a quiet space jazz with free bass and drums to strange synths sounds and guitar squirks. The ending brings another rather discordant mish-mash of sound imagery. "Hispanica" uses flute, sax, cello, and acoustic guitars to very pleasant effect leading to the first vocal verse, which features some very nice harmonies. It just refuses to be predictable taking little disjointed turns here and there, after a quirky bridge the song takes on a Spanish flavour with some folk-oriented acoustic guitar runs. After this section enters the piano playing a slow dreamy section with flute and acoustic followed by another vocal. There is an enormous variety just in this one track! "Interludio" is a short acoustic piece accented with flute, cello, and gorgeous recorder.a totally engrossing meditative mind break leading to the two last tracks which are also the longest at 13 minutes and 16 minutes respectively. "Algos" starts with unsettling piano that is beautifully played. After 2 ½ minutes the band breaks down the door and we have electric guitar dueling with the flute and keys, to a rather forceful beat. After another mellow section things go a bit insane and we soon find ourselves in an aural nightmare with strange vocals choirs and electronica, including the album's biggest mistake: someone getting carried away with the synth sounds from Dark Side of the Moon. It's cool for a minute but it goes on too long and just reminds you of Floyd, which is not a distraction I want while listening to this great album. Finally that section ceases and we find ourselves listening to strings and sax in a lovely classical section finished with piano. The album finishes like fine wine with the 7-part suite entitled "Orizzonte Degli Eventi." Flute and fantastic strummed acoustic guitar are joined by cello as the first verse begins. This section is characterized by repetitious, pretty melodic playing. The next part picks up the pace with more urgent vocals backed by mellotron and edgy electric rhythm guitar chugging along, some nice leads thrown in here and there. The track gets increasingly guitar heavy as it rolls forward with some excellent drum and keyboard performances. The ending is an exciting, emotional guitar solo over blue skies keyboards and thunderclouds drumming.

This album is recommended for fans of Italian music and highly recommended for anyone looking for beautiful yet slightly bizarre music. If you like more the more conventional, pop-prog releases that get so much attention in the marketplace, you might want to steer clear of this black sheep that can be so blissfully confounding. If you took a few shakes of Pierrot Lunaire and Orme, whisked that into some Gotic and added a modern edge to the production, you might have an idea what the In Limine cakes tastes like. It's a good cake. I will jab them a bit for the unfortunate album cover they chose. There are 3 or 4 other cool photos/drawings in the cd artwork that would have made a far better album cover than the silly image they chose. Nevertheless, "In Limine" is a wonderful album.

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 18:24
Great review of a wonderful, unique album.  Jim, I seem to remember you had this at five stars at one point.  Am I remembering wrong?

My Gnosis Ratings

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 18:26
[QUOTE=seventhsojourn]My copy of Clowns arrived this morning... looking forward to my first full play.[QUOTE]

I think you'll have lots of fun with this one!  I really look forward to hearing your thoughts about it.

My Gnosis Ratings

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 19:47
^^

Probably right, I do adjust ratings and reviews as necessary, if my opinion changes over time.
And thanks guys.

Edited by Finnforest - August 04 2010 at 19:48

Deleuze View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deleuze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 20:50

I can guarantee you that you'll love it.I'm actually reading

Thus Spoke Zarathustra

from Nietzsche, an unexplainable feeling :P. I understand italian, lyrics relate perfectly to the book.
Good purchase Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 358>