Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 14:36
Sorry Torodd, I didn't mean to snub your review, I missed it but I'll be sure to read it.  You're right about HP, there is some great RPI in there.   As there  is in Avant.  It frustrates me but that's how the ball bounces.  Sometimes there is more than one possible placement.

Edited by Finnforest - September 22 2011 at 14:36

toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toroddfuglesteg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 14:48

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Sorry Torodd, I didn't mean to snub your review, I missed it but I'll be sure to read it.  You're right about HP, there is some great RPI in there.   As there  is in Avant.  It frustrates me but that's how the ball bounces.  Sometimes there is more than one possible placement.

Don't worry. I am chuffed to bits and grinning like a happy cat because you have given this album some attention. Attention I was begging about in my review, final paragraph, it would get. Let's say my prayers was heard....... 

I am not going to get into a genre debate. I leave that to your team as we in my team has enough removal vans to deal with.   

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 14:37

RPI new flash:

Now here's a bit of info that should excite quite a few of our Den regulars....

Stefano Testa, whose 1977 Una Vita Una Balena Bianca e Altre Cose  has been widely acclaimed, will be releasing a new album of original material soon, perhaps as early as December, maybe later.  The album is more of a Crossover/Art rock album than his long proggy 70s suite, but if you enjoy great songwriting in the Italian tradition, you will still enjoy it. 

I have heard the early versions of the songs and they are wonderful.  More info to follow as we get it.  Thumbs Up

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 15:34
Thumbs Up Fantastic news Jim. It will be my first step in a the present of RPI.
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LinusW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 08:44
Listening to Area, making a spaghetti alla puttanesca. Life is good. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 09:29
Oh yeah....I'll bring the vino and amber aleWink

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 21:50
Okay i've been sort of over-dosing in RPI of late and i listened to PROCESSION's first two albums which still blow me away.And right now i've got the "Esplorara" album(2007) by them on which mostly covers their older material with a different singer, but you know what this album is an absolute stunner ! Give this guy a job singing for anyone and he'll make them better,he's that good.Samuele Alletto is his name and he plays flute too.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 22:31
RPI Team Update!Big smile

Here's a list of some of the recent Italian additions since our last update.  To our great thread readers, be sure to check them out when you have time.  Thanks to those of all teams who helped get them added and to the bands for info provided.

It's been too long since the last update.  But enjoy these latest additions and give them your  feedback here or in reviews.  There is some great music here!  Forgive my little blurb descriptions, they are just off the cuff quickie comments to provide some direction.....

Gino D'Eliso - mellow singer/songwriter

Gran Turismo Veloce - one of the year's best debuts, awesome modern RPI

Il Tempio Della Clessidre - one of last year's favorite bands of the whole site

Equipe 84 - legends of soft prog/Italpop

Lost Tales - elegant, romantic, warm

Leo Nero - the genius behind Balletto di Bronzo

Euthymia - classy new band with conceptual rock opera

Labirinto di Specchi - experimental, bold, exotic

Paolo Siani - another great comeback and new project

Una Volta Eravamo in Sette - another great debut, dreamy and minimalist

Grand Torino - Heavy jamming prog rock

Ballettirosadimacchia - obscure rarity

La Coscienza di Zeno - One of the year's finest RPI offering.  Great freakin' album.

Allegri Leprotti - Wild wild stuff, an avant/RPI mix with Zappa influence

Edited by Finnforest - September 24 2011 at 22:49

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 22:59
Great update, Jim!
^^ John, I think you and I are in the running for the site's biggest PROCESSION fans!  Always love to hear your thoughts.

Edited by Todd - September 25 2011 at 00:14
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2011 at 20:38

Wow, Andrea, if possible, feel free to translate any parts you feel the Den would enjoy reading!Smile

Article courtesy of Claudio Filice and Jan Claus Di Blasio

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 13:03
Hey Todd nice review on Il Balletto Di Bronzo.That was like a history lesson on the band.Cool stuff.
Listening to Panna Fredda right now.Classic !
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 16:59
^^^^ Still haven't got that La Coscienza di Zeno CD yet. Being one of my favourite recent evals we did I must put that right.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 19:30
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

I'm loving the new Goad album Masqurade. Really going to have to check out some of their earlier stuff.

Paul, I think I like The Wood just as much, maybe even better.

My Gnosis Ratings

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 19:36
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

Don't worry. I am chuffed to bits and grinning like a happy cat because you have given this album some attention. Attention I was begging about in my review, final paragraph, it would get. Let's say my prayers was heard....... 

I am not going to get into a genre debate. I leave that to your team as we in my team has enough removal vans to deal with.   

Torodd, how does one purchase those CDs?  I can download the latest, but I'd like a physical copy.

My Gnosis Ratings

Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 13:13
Nice QVL article! I'll have a proper look at it tomorrow and try to at least get the main idea behind it.
I wanted to report on I Giganti. Thank you so much for the suggestion! :D I was intrigued by the reviews that were hinting at a resemblance between them and Latte e Miele, and I have to say I did get a Milk and Honey vibe, especially from the very nice use of synths. Also, the vocals were some of the best I've heard in RPI. Woohoo!
Property of Queen Productions...
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toroddfuglesteg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 13:29
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

Torodd, how does one purchase those CDs?  I can download the latest, but I'd like a physical copy.

I got them through Music For Penguins. I believe the 68-58-49 lady at Music For Penguins got them directly from their label.  

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 17:18

Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

I'm loving the new Goad album Masqurade. Really going to have to check out some of their earlier stuff.

Paul, I think I like The Wood just as much, maybe even better.

Cheers Todd, I'll give it a try. Thumbs Up
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 17:21

Todd, Amazon have it though somewhat expensive. I was looking for it myself actually.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 20:43
So I'm listening to Demetrio Stratos' Metrodora right now...needless to say, I never expected to hear anything this strange coming out of the RPI genre...this puts a very large majority of RIO/Avant/Zeuhl to SHAME when it comes to how bizarre it is, but I enjoy it. LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 20:57
The avant-garde is present in lots of RPI, not just in the more obvious stuff one can tick off, but running more subtly underneath many songs which would certainly not be identified as ZART.  I've not heard that one Jon you should write us a review when you have timeBig smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 358>