Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Italian Prog Appreciation den
    Posted: July 24 2010 at 15:43
Welcome to the new Italian Prog Appreciation thread.  Bring your own vino, we'll supply the red sauce, music, and cigars.

The old thread, with its vast quantity of album suggestions and discussions, can be found by clicking here!

Edited by Finnforest - August 02 2010 at 18:39

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 15:52
And while it is tragic to see the previous thread's 5500 posts of suggestions and good will fade into the night, we on your new and improved RPI team will continue to feed your addiction and celebrate the web's best prog music resource. 

We are in the process of improving out of date/undercooked bios, we have already corrected many errors in the genres band lists, and we have many new reviews and band additions on the way. 

The future is bright, there is more and better to come. 

With that, the new Appreciation thread is christened.  As I've been doing the vault picks for a quite a while, our new members will now be contributing some of their own.  And of course, our thread readers are encouraged to join inThumbs Up

Edited by Finnforest - July 24 2010 at 17:21

Pirx the Pilot View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirx the Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 22:01
And just as I discovered the old appreciation thread!  Not necessarily new to the site, but somewhat new to the forums...  For what it's worth (that is, not much), my first few reviews, all RPI, are up.  Feel free not to critique, as I'm very sensitive... Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 22:09
Hey Andrew!  I saw your reviews and was wonderfully surprised, not just to see a new enthusiast, but with the depth of your choices!  If you've got those fine gems you must have quite the collection.  Welcome to this thread and to forums, you'll find many RPI friends in these parts.  Smile

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirx the Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 22:23
Honestly, I scoured the reviews here when I first caught the Mellow Records sale through Greg Walker.  A few definitive favorites from that lot, including (in addition to Bondage and Stefano Testa) Campo di Marte, Cooperative del Latte, Germinale, Murple, and Sithonia (Confine).  Mary Newsletter, too.

Other favorites - Alphataurus' debut, Cervello, I Giganti (which I just got a hold of), Ibis - Sun Supreme, Museo - Zarathustra, Osaanna - Palepoli, Rocky's Filj...  To think I knew nothing of RPI until early early last year!

Looking forward to hanging around (hopefully participating and not lurking) - I could learn something, methinks.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 22:41
Wow, great taste!  I'm looking forward to your reviewsClap

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 22:45
Hey, I just saw the old RPI thread around this very week, how is it now it's considered fallen into oblivion?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 22:48
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Hey, I just saw the old RPI thread around this very week, how is it now it's considered fallen into oblivion?

It has only to do with the size it had grown to (good news, it means people enjoy it!)

Once a thread reaches a certain size in terms of posts/size, it is locked to make the forums more responsive in terms of speed, if I understand correctly.  The same thread can be opened again and continued....which is what this thread is!

So fear not, nothing has fallen away!Big smile

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirx the Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 22:53
Perhaps a perma-link to the thread is in order, else it could slip away into obscurity lacking new posts...

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36487
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 23:02
Yeah, that's what I was going to suggest, editing a link to the old thread in the initial post so everyone could check out the older discussions if they want to. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 23:07
DoneThumbs Up

SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 23:14
Awesome!

Now, on topic...even though they're under Canterbury Scene, I feel it's appropriate to mention Picchio dal Pozzo here.  I'm sure they've been mentioned before in the old thread, but I'm not going to look through 5500 posts tonight to find out. LOL  They're probably my favorite Italian band at the moment, followed by Area.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 23:22
Oh yeah, that's an album many people just go nuts about.....I've only heard their most popular one....I need to hear more.

If you go for classical Jon, have you checked out Opus Avantra?  Another great band. 

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirx the Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 23:28
I have to say, Canterbury doesn't seem to be my thing, based on what little I've heard...  So, I've shied away.

That said, I just filtered the Top Prog list by country (Italy, obviously) but excluded RPI.  There are quite a few there that I haven't heard of - what are some favorites?  (Very interesting to see some Italian Zeuhl!)

The only ones in my growing collection are J'Accuse..!, Sensations' Fix (Portable Madness), Arti e Mestieri (Tilt) & Mary Newsletter (Del Perduto & L'Attenzione - I'm partial to the former).

Looks like I really should spend some time and rake through the previous appreciation thread...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 23:41
Oh there's lots of great stuff out there, I'd have to do a list! LOL 

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirx the Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 23:45
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Oh there's lots of great stuff out there, I'd have to do a list! LOL 

Yeah, I realized that might be a rather BIG question...  I'll spend some time going through those on the Top Prog.  It looks like my next order will be a bank-breaker!  sigh
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 23:55
Universal Totem Orchestra is some Italian Zeuhl if I remember right.  Same with Runaway Totem.  I've got a couple Runaway Totem albums, which by the way are mostly available free on the band's website.  Not bad, but not amazing.  I haven't listened to any Universal Totem Orchestra yet. 
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirx the Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2010 at 00:01
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Universal Totem Orchestra is some Italian Zeuhl if I remember right.  Same with Runaway Totem.  I've got a couple Runaway Totem albums, which by the way are mostly available free on the band's website.  Not bad, but not amazing.  I haven't listened to any Universal Totem Orchestra yet. 

Very good reviews here on PA - I am curious.  I love the Zeuhl I have, just don't listen all that often...  And thanks for the tip on Runaway Totem - I'll check their site.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2010 at 00:04
No problem.  Just so you know, the downloads aren't the greatest sound quality, but still...it gives you a chance to get a bit familiar with almost all of their albums for free.  
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2010 at 00:25
Universal Totem is FAR better than their parent band Runaway Totem in my opinion.

Picchio is wonderful, and Canterbury is hit or miss for me.

Andrew, welcome! It will be great to rub shoulders with you in the coming months! Such a short time but such a collection! There are some great adventures ahead!
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 358>