Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Klaus Schulze album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Favorite Klaus Schulze album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [4.88%]
4 [9.76%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.44%]
7 [17.07%]
6 [14.63%]
3 [7.32%]
3 [7.32%]
1 [2.44%]
10 [24.39%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.44%]
1 [2.44%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.44%]
1 [2.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGrandWazoo123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Klaus Schulze album
    Posted: July 25 2010 at 06:24
Hey, everybody. I haven't been on in a while, but that's beside the point.

I discovered Berlin School electronic music and krautrock over the past few months...Schulze, in particular.

So which album of his is your favorite?
Of course, his oeuvre is MASSIVE, and I couldn't fit all of his material on this 25-choice poll, but I tried to put the best ones up there. 

"When God created Republicans, he gave up on everything else."
- Frank Zappa
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2010 at 13:08
Other - The Dome Event.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2010 at 13:55
I usually go with Mirage, but am in more of a Cyborg mood at the moment, so that gets my vote.
thepenultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the penultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
antonyus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antonyus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 04:07
Timewind...is my first KS album and best of all time !!
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 04:48
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Other - The Dome Event.
Not my favourite, but I agree that it's one of Schulze's more overlooked albums; Beyond Recall and the Royal Festival Hall volumes 1 and 2 came from the same era when he was experimenting with samplers, and I think they're among his strongest post 1980 albums.

From this list I'll go with X.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

slickcoaster View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slickcoaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 06:47
Kontinuum for the tune Sequenzer (from 70 to 07) alone. Don't know what it is about the song,
leechburton View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leechburton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 13:06
Timewind
A concert is a concert is a concert is a concert. An album is an album is an album is an album. Musically, both have nothing in common.

-Klaus Schulze
chrijom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrijom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 13:23
I have Cyborg which is very interesting but I don't know enough of his music to give a knowledgeable vote.
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2010 at 02:19

Mirage, followed by Cyborg, Timewind, Body Love, Kontinuum.

There's also delightful music in the Namlook Dark Side of The Moog series!
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2010 at 04:33
Voted X, but also like Trancefer, Mirage and Timewind a lot.
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2010 at 11:39
1. Mirage
2. Timewind
3. Picture Music
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jean-marie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 16:34
1 timewind 2 picture music 3moondawn 4bodylove 5 kontinium 6 mirageWink
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 16:40
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

Mirage, followed by Cyborg, Timewind, Body Love, Kontinuum.

There's also delightful music in the Namlook Dark Side of The Moog series!
Yes, Dark Side of the Moog is a splendid series of albums - several of them (10 so far) also feature contributions from Bill Laswell. 3 and 5 are probably my favourites.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 17:53
It could be any of 5 or 6 albums for me, but today I´m going with Body Love pt 1. A stroke of genius that truly reflects the sensuousness of the movie and has a life of its own.
Putting Cyborg on right now as an electronic lullaby. 
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 18:50
Timewind.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 19:46
Mirage. In my top 5 electronic/ambient albums of all time.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 20:50
Moondawn, with Mirage a close second
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 20:53
Hi,

Wow ... and you listed these in order ... that was cool and I am impressed, and Thumbs Up Hug Clap

I would have added Das Rheingold to the list. It is not one of the "favorites" but you have to credit the fact that it was done live and "out there" ... and that is something that is very scary, but for Klaus ... no worries, and he sounded excellent and looked very well through out the whole thing. Lisa was good, but the adjustments and the music itself is the real thing, and it tells you how sensitive he is to adjustments and detail while the music is playing ... which can be mind wrecking ... and on top of it, he is his own engineer and mixer!

I absolutely love "X" ... and have gone through 2 LP's on it already, and have finally mp3'd the CD, because I have to get another one. I also love a lot, "Audentity" and specially Sebastian en Traum ... which is out of this world.

The other one, that is less appreciated, but you listed, is "In Blue" ... and of course, it has a lot of Manuel Gottsching in there, and what a massively incredible piece of music that is, and a guitarist that is not afraid to let go ...  and I seriously doubt that the majority of "progressive" or "prog" guitarists would last more than a couple of minutes here, before running out of things to do on the guitar.

As I have mentioned before, Klaus is one of the few "true" synthesizer composers left, because he is not using the synthesizer as a DAW or Orchestra replacement, and instead is trying to create tapestries off each individual sound that he creates, and then he might add the equivalent of a "solo" over it all, and that is the only part of Klaus that is recognizeable in his work, and even then, it is often so well buried and marked that ... you can find it, or see it, when you see the Rheingold DVD, but otherwise are likely to never think about it at all.

Probably the only artist I would love to see the most, before I leave this earth ... or he leaves us, because there is no music in my life that has lit up more inspiration for me than this massive amount of work. If I can write "one tenth" as much as he has created, I would be very happy and satisfied with my life!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 14:13
X hits the spot.
Help me I'm falling!
Jazzywoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazzywoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 18:52
Timewind!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>