FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe official PA Hot Sauce appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 01:17

The problem is that Rocoto is so strong that hardly anybody eats it pure (I'm one of the few masochists), so the sauce was blended with vinager and some greasy ingredient (grease takes a lot of spice).

But this bag (Alacena) is really strong:

As a fact after pure Capsaicin and capsaicinoids (chemical spice essence), pepper spray, Naga jolokia comes rocoto,

List of Scoville ratings

Pungency values for any pepper, stated in Scoville units, are imprecise, due to expected variation within a species—easily by a factor of 10 or more—depending on seed lineage, climate (humidity is a big factor for the Naga as the Dorset Naga and the original Naga have quite different ratings), and even soil (this is especially true of habaneros). The inaccuracies described in the measurement methods above also contribute to the imprecision of these values. When interpreting Scoville ratings, this should be kept in mind.[3][4]

Scoville scale
Scoville rating Type of pepper
15,000,000-16,000,000 Pure capsaicin[5]
8,600,000-9,100,000 Various capsaicinoids (e.g. homocapsaicin, homodihydrocapsaicin, nordihydrocapsaicin)
2,000,000-5,300,000 Standard U.S. Grade pepper spray[6], FN 303 irritant ammunition
855,000-1,050,000 Naga Jolokia[7][8][9][10]
350,000-580,000 Red Savina Habanero[11][12]
100,000-350,000 Habanero chili,[13] Scotch Bonnet Pepper, [13] Datil pepper, Rocoto, Jamaican Hot Pepper [6], African Birdseye
50,000-100,000 Thai Pepper, Malagueta Pepper, Chiltepin Pepper, Pequin Pepper
30,000-50,000 Cayenne Pepper, Ají pepper [13], Tabasco pepper, some Chipotle peppers
10,000-23,000 Serrano Pepper, some Chipotle peppers
2,500-8,000 Jalapeńo Pepper, Guajillo pepper, New Mexican varieties of Anaheim pepper,[14] Paprika (hungarian wax pepper)[15]
500-2,500 Anaheim pepper [16], Poblano Pepper, Rocotillo Pepper
100-500 Pimento[6], Pepperoncini
0 No heat, Bell pepper [6]

This scale is a bit wrong, because it's based in rocoto sold for USA and Europe (mild version), the red one from Arequipa is like Red Savina.

If you ever go to Arequipa ask for a "Rocoto relleno for gringo" is prepared without seed and vein, but still will make some people cry.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - July 26 2010 at 01:25

Mr Greeen Genes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 01:20

I also love hot sauce and use it on whatever it isn't disgusting to put it on...

Blaire's Sudden Death is supposed to be 500,000 scoville units... I always use this when I make grilled cheese. I put the butter or marjorine on the bread and put a drop on and spread it.  Its really tasty but really hot too, so i don't use it on much else, cause i usually accidentally put too much on...

Dave's Insanity isn't as hot as Sudden Death but you still have to use only drops... I always use this to mix with tomato sauce and i eat a lot of italian food, so i use this one often. I highly recommend it.

This is the first hot sauce I ever tried and what got me into hot sauce almost 10 years ago...  I still use this all the time.  It isn't spicy like Dave's Insanity, but its definitely hotter than Frank's and Louisianna Hot Sauce... I always mix this with ketchup or if i'm at a restaraunt, i mix ketchup with tobasco, and i use this on chinese food and usually on coldcut sandwiches and plenty of other food...  The habenero tobasco is similarly hot.  Sometimes I'll switch it up and use that instead for what i use this stuff on.

The Chipotle tobasco is pretty good, but I rarely use it.  I like Franks Hot Sauce for sandwiches too. I used to use Louisianna a lot, but for cayenne pepper hot sauces, I prefer Franks...   Taco Bell's hot sauce is good every once in a while also.  When I was younger, I used to stock up when I'd go to Taco Bell.  I mostly stay away from fast food nowadays though.

WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 01:21
Since they were marketing it to chileans (who think mayonnaise and avocado belong in everything), I suppose its plain to see why I wasn't given the good stuff.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 01:42
if anyone hasn't bought a tin of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (the ones from Mexico), the flavor is fantastic, you'll want to put it in anything that calls for smoke, heat, and a bit of sweetness.. delicious, and hot enough to challenge a seasoned heat-lover

Edited by Atavachron - July 26 2010 at 01:43
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 16:33
I'm baffled at the sight of the bottles on page 2: what is this disguting obsession with the intestinal system and the anus when talking about hot sauce??? Dead

I mean, hell, when I eat couscous with harissa, when I put tobasco or pepper & oil sauce on my pizzas, I just think about the pleasure on my tongue, not about the pain in the ass (that I never felt - are the English-Saxon more delicate than the French-Mediteranean?)!
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 19:50

Best everyday hot sauce.  I always keep a bottle in the fridgerator.

Also if I'm in a Mexican place and there's a bottle of this on the table, some of it's going in the salsa.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 20:11
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

Best everyday hot sauce.  I always keep a bottle in the fridgerator.

Also if I'm in a Mexican place and there's a bottle of this on the table, some of it's going in the salsa.

Yeah, baby.  This is really good heat+flavor combo:
http://sweatnspice.com/wp-content/uploads/wpsc/product_images/el_yucateco_xtra_hot.png
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 20:13
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

I'm baffled at the sight of the bottles on page 2: what is this disguting obsession with the intestinal system and the anus when talking about hot sauce??? Dead

I mean, hell, when I eat couscous with harissa, when I put tobasco or pepper & oil sauce on my pizzas, I just think about the pleasure on my tongue, not about the pain in the ass (that I never felt - are the English-Saxon more delicate than the French-Mediteranean?)!

Even wne it's not one of my favourite issues to talk about, I agree partially with you, the sauce can't cause that effect, but if you eat any form of chili, aji, jalapeńo or rocoto, the seeds in side will cause you that effect, becauseyour stomach won't diges them in 100 years and will leave your body in the same form they entered.

Plus if you notice the scovina scale, tabasco peppers  have  50,000 units of pungency  and if prepated with oil, you have to reduce it to 25% at the most, some of this sauces are above 100,000 units, .

But you are right, unless you have a strong case of ulcera, hardly your digestive system will suffer too much, of course the exit way even less.

Iván

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 20:17
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

When you see a hot pepper bush in your garden, it's the one vegie that is untouched by bugs.....

This is funny.  We were growing varieties of hot pepper plants in the containers between the house and the front creek and occasionally one would grab a pepper and try to eat it.  We never witnessed it personally but just the partially eaten pepper left behind. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 22:44
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

When you see a hot pepper bush in your garden, it's the one vegie that is untouched by bugs.....

This is funny.  We were growing varieties of hot pepper plants in the containers between the house and the front creek and occasionally one would grab a pepper and try to eat it.  We never witnessed it personally but just the partially eaten pepper left behind. LOL

A bug would grab a pepper?  Must be big bugs where you're from. LOL
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 23:12

http://sweatnspice.com/wp-content/uploads/wpsc/product_images/el_yucateco_xtra_hot.png

The local Mexican food plae in my town has that too but I've honestly never tried it Embarrassed
Evolutionary Sleeper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 23:17
My weapons of choice:

Good spicyness to it and great flavor.

and..

not as hot as the former, but it has an addicting quality to it, and it's free! Oh how I misses it, no Del Taco in this town. Cry
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 23:41
This can be bought in Japan. My favorite.
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 23:49
That might be the first time I've ever seen a product from Belize.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 00:04
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 02:16
Whilst on holiday last year, a friend and I used this as a condiment on our supper:

The next day, he came out of the upstairs loo as I was coming out of the downstairs one & we exchanged a meaningful look... a lot of that day's fishing was done standing up

There is however a hotter version now available @ 15,000,000 scovilles, Dragons Blood Batch 13:

And this one is reputedly even hotter (one reviewer reported that his bottom had filed for divorce ):

At this point I'd hasten to add this is not a macho thing, these sauces have great flavour as well as heat.

Edited by Jim Garten - July 27 2010 at 02:17

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 07:01
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

A bug would grab a pepper?  Must be big bugs where you're from. LOL

substitute "a squirrel" for "one" EmbarrassedLOL
We do have these though:

and they fly Shocked

zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 19:35
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

The local Mexican food plae in my town has that too but I've honestly never tried it Embarrassed

Ohh, that is some fierce stuff.  I used that once because there wasn't a bottle of the green stuff on the table.  WHOA NELLIE!

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 20:04
I generally ask what is the hottest they have in Mexican restaurants, and usually pour it on my food.  My friends think I'm crazy, because most of them can put maybe one or two drops of the stuff on their food before it's TOO HOT! LOL
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 20:16
Wow, didn't think this would make it to 3 pages!
I love hot sauce and spicy food but, clearly I am not a hot sauce connoisseur
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>