Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQuentin Tarantino Movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Poll Question: Which movie do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [17.39%]
37 [53.62%]
2 [2.90%]
3 [4.35%]
1 [1.45%]
1 [1.45%]
13 [18.84%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 22:27
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

Originally posted by OT Räihälä OT Räihälä wrote:

I've only seen Pulp Fiction, and it was so disgusting that I haven't had any desire to see any other of his movies.

Clap

Thank you, I was hoping this entire site hadn't been overtaken with those who praise style over substance and theft over originality.

I don't know about theft over originality, but style over substance? Do you even understand the point of any "story" in the movie?
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 23:26
The point is style.  Tarantino is a hack that lifts other peoples stories, strips them down, and makes stylish new versions that fans can claim hold deep meaning due to their aimless nature. 
Reservoir Dogs, for example, is City on Fire (a 1987 film from Hong Kong starring Chow Yun-Fat):
That's actually Tarantino's best film as he didn't even bother changing it, at all.  You know, except for maybe that dancing/ear cutting scene with all the deep meaning.

Time always wins.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 01:13
Disapprove I don't know. I don't see anything stylish about the fact that Winston Wolfe was writing things down on paper, or Jules buying Ringo's life, or " 'please' would be nice", or Wolfe saying that "respect for one's elders gives character". I suppose that it is safe to say that the film, in that respect, is a spoof of itself, just as an element of comedy.

Oh, well, this probably should be in a different thread.

P.S.: Homage or stealing? Ask Tarantino.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - April 23 2012 at 01:15
OT Räihälä View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 03:12
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

I've only seen Pulp Fiction, and it was so disgusting that I haven't had any desire to see any other of his movies.

By disgusting, do you mean in the context of graphic content such as gore, themes, etc? You probably haven't seen Reservoir Dogs then. Big smile In terms of graphic content, Pulp Fiction is nothing compared to Reservoir Dogs. Reservoir Dogs might be the most violent, non-horror movie I've seen.

I don't want to watch unnecessary violence in a movie, and that was practically the main idea of that film. Even less am I interested in mindless banter that a big part of that movie's dialogue was. I still remember (I saw it in early '95) sitting in a movie theatre sighing aloud of boredom, and my then wife quietly trying to shush me. I nearly walked out shouting "what a load of scheisse".

For whatever reason, I've had encounters with people who seem to treat this movie as a religious object, that they defend. I've been told that I'm wrong, because the movie is excellent, and that my attitude is wrong, and that I just refuse to admit how ingenious the dialogue is, because it is so trivial it becomes a piece of art. To me that would be the same as to admit that mindless chart pop is good music, because it is so paska that it is a great new style. Unfortunately I can't see the art in that, to me it is just a waste of time.

Edited by OT Räihälä - April 23 2012 at 03:13
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 04:14

Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

By disgusting, do you mean in the context of graphic content such as gore, themes, etc? You probably haven't seen Reservoir Dogs then. Big smile In terms of graphic content, Pulp Fiction is nothing compared to Reservoir Dogs. Reservoir Dogs might be the most violent, non-horror movie I've seen.

I don't want to watch unnecessary violence in a movie, and that was practically the main idea of that film. Even less am I interested in mindless banter that a big part of that movie's dialogue was. I still remember (I saw it in early '95) sitting in a movie theatre sighing aloud of boredom, and my then wife quietly trying to shush me. I nearly walked out shouting "what a load of scheisse".

For whatever reason, I've had encounters with people who seem to treat this movie as a religious object, that they defend. I've been told that I'm wrong, because the movie is excellent, and that my attitude is wrong, and that I just refuse to admit how ingenious the dialogue is, because it is so trivial it becomes a piece of art. To me that would be the same as to admit that mindless chart pop is good music, because it is so paska that it is a great new style. Unfortunately I can't see the art in that, to me it is just a waste of time.
Watching it in the cinema I (and my wife) laughed out loud (raucously) through-out the film and were shushed by the other cinema-goers around us who would turn around and frown at us every time we laughed. Whether it was an intentional black comedy or not it was funny, even the cartoon violence, the banal and inane dialogue, Travolta's awful dancing...
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 04:33
I like Pulp Fiction. Didn't see it as disgusting in any way whatsoever. Iconic film.Thumbs Up
OT Räihälä View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 04:42
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I like Pulp Fiction. Didn't see it as disgusting in any way whatsoever. Iconic film.Thumbs Up

Yes, it's very good that people have different opinions on things. Yours is right for you, mine's for me. Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345