Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen was the first East of Eden released?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: When was the first East of Eden released?
    Posted: July 27 2010 at 19:42
Hi,

I'm in the process of getting these ... this is one band in the old Hipgnosis catalogue I never got a chance to appreciate.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cannon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 18:07
Originally posted by akajazzman akajazzman wrote:

Thanks logoman, I just tried to find a web page or something related to Deram or Decca, and nothing.  Arggg.

I have a friend who insists that there was nothing that sounded as modern proggy as the first King Crimson album.  That is was the next big step in Prog Rock (or in his opinion the first step).    I love ITCOKC, but trying to prove that there were other albums before it with the same bite (as Bruce Eder describes) above, and this East of Eden album is the closest I can find, but I can't find a date.

I think the first few songs on the Eden album might track just a bit too close to KC in overall sound experience that it may have been actually influenced by ITCOTKC.  And thus come out in Nov or Dec 1969.   But I hope not.  ALso, thats cramming a lot of recording and release into two short months (ITCOTKC came out in Oct)

Take a listen to a Music in a Doll's House by Family. Released in early '68.
akajazzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 17:01
Thanks logoman, I just tried to find a web page or something related to Deram or Decca, and nothing.  Arggg.

I have a friend who insists that there was nothing that sounded as modern proggy as the first King Crimson album.  That is was the next big step in Prog Rock (or in his opinion the first step).    I love ITCOKC, but trying to prove that there were other albums before it with the same bite (as Bruce Eder describes) above, and this East of Eden album is the closest I can find, but I can't find a date.

I think the first few songs on the Eden album might track just a bit too close to KC in overall sound experience that it may have been actually influenced by ITCOTKC.  And thus come out in Nov or Dec 1969.   But I hope not.  ALso, thats cramming a lot of recording and release into two short months (ITCOTKC came out in Oct)
logoman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 11:07
Don't know month but released on Deram label ( part of Decca label) ref DML/SML 1038.
akajazzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 11:25
I'm trying to find out when the first East of Eden was released?  ''Mercator Projected''  

Specifically, it was released in 1969, but what month?  Anyone know?   I can't find it anywhere. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bruce Eder at All Music Guide says " It's also one of the most daring debut albums of its period, less tightly focused than, say, King Crimson's Court of the Crimson King but otherwise equally bold and maybe more challenging. The whole record is eerie — coming from a pop culture where most psychedelic rock tended toward the light and airy — the way the high-impact bass, drum, and guitar parts interact with the distinctly Oriental and Central/Eastern European classical influences. The title track is a surprise coming from any British psychedelic band of the period, opening with a pounding heavy metal beat pumped out on Steve York's bass and Dave Dufort's drums, while Dave Arbus' electric violin subs for what would normally be the rhythm guitar part and Geoff Nicholson's guitar twists a blues riff around before setting a Jimi Hendrix-like wave of tonal pyrotechnics ablaze for the finale. Though most of the rest isn't as hard rocking as that, it is still progressive rock with balls."

Post Reply Post Reply