Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReturn of Prog rock band Wally

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Return of Prog rock band Wally
    Posted: July 26 2010 at 13:17
Hi Japan, this is a message from WALLY. Yes we are back, complete with new album.

A great deal has happened since our last tour of Japan in 1975 and you can read all about it on our new website www.wallymusic.co.uk

We have new and old albums and a brilliant live DVD and t.shirts, all of which can be posted out to Japan.

Spread the word and do write to us through the WALLY website.

Best wishes to you all, old and hopefully new fans.

Stuart

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 14:44
Hi Stuart,

Are you posting in respect of this Wally? http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3536

I don't see a Stuart in their line up, do we need to update the albums?

Why the "Hi Japan" by the way?

Good luck!
Wallymusic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 16:22
Hi Yes it is the same band. I am not in the Wally line up but do manage their affairs. If you look on the website you will see the new line up created due to the death of two of the origional members.

Wally Are Back and better than ever

1970’s Atlantic Recording artists WALLY are back following a successful reunion concert last year in their hometown of Harrogate. Playing together for the first time in 35 years, the reunion has inspired the band to produce a new album. “Montpellier” will be released early February. 

WALLY had two successful albums on Atlantic records titled ‘Wally’ (1974) and ‘Valley Gardens’ (1975) both produced by Bob Harris and Rick Wakeman. Amongst singles, ‘The Martyr’ and ‘I Just Wanna Be A Cowboy’ was ‘Nez Perce’. This featured the great Madeline Bell on backing vocals and was a Johnnie Walker record of the week on Radio One. WALLY also appeared on The Old Grey Whistle Test.

As with their second album ‘Valley Gardens’, ‘Montpellier’ was named after the area in Harrogate where most of the band members lived and played in the 1970’s.

Whilst WALLY were preparing to come together following their 35 year absence, the band received news of the untimely death of keyboard player Paul Gerrett, who died in his sleep whilst living in Thailand. Prior to this the original guitarist Pete Cosker had died in 1991 from a drink/ drugs related illness. Both of these tragic deaths signified that the concert would not only be a reunion- it would be a tribute.

The five remaining members of WALLY- Paul Middleton (Pedal Steel and Bass), Pete Sage (Violin), Roger Narraway (Drums), Nick Glennie-Smith (Keyboards) and Roy Webber (Lead Vocals and guitar)- have recruited two new musicians. Frank Mizen, who plays a multitude of instruments including pedal steel, banjo and bass along with Will Jackson on lead guitar.

The success of the reunion concert in April 2009 held at the Royal Hall in Harrogate has prompted another concert this year. WALLY are performing the material from their new album, “Montpellier” plus all their old favourites in an evening hosted by Radio 2 DJ and presenter of The Old Grey Whistle Test, Bob Harris.

The new album “Montpellier” retains the unique wall of sound and spirit of the original 1970’s band. It reflects the changes in music over time and ensures the album is current for today’s audiences. “Montpellier” is undoubtedly WALLY at their finest.

www.wallymusic.co.uk 

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 02:54
Cheers Stuart, thanks for clarifying. We can ignore the "Hi Japan" then!Wink
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 19:44
Hi,

I have that 1st album and enjoy it tremendously ... and that long cut (and the album) is very nice indeed.

Very nice indeed, and one of those bands that one does not associate with "prog" very much, and albums and music like this that are done with a lot of care and attention, deserve a lot more ... than just being ignored!

I even have a copy of this being played on my old roomie's radio show way back when it first came out ... in Santa Barbara!

Edited by moshkito - July 27 2010 at 20:09
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 12:15
Hi Japan LOL

So Valley Gardens is now available on cd as well... nice one! Thumbs Up
sgt wilko View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2010 at 15:50
Went to the recent Wally gig in April at Harrogate after a mate gave me a copy of their first albumn, and I purchased Montpellier, their latest release.
Really enjoyed it, some great music, and introduced on stage by my hero Bob Harris
Hope there's another gig soon
 Post Reply Post Reply