Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favorite Hammond B-3 organ solo?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your favorite Hammond B-3 organ solo?
    Posted: July 27 2010 at 14:23
We've had a good run on Mellotron & Mini-Moog solos, let me start a new one.....which is your favorite Hammond B-3 organ solo in a prog composition?  

Lots to pick from, including Emerson, Wakeman, Banks etc.!

My personal favorite is Wakeman's blazing solo in "Roundabout," Bruford once called Wakeman "the best Hammond player in the UK" in an interview.   That solo he plays is astounding! 

Go for it!  
tmay102436 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmay102436 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 15:12
Well, I guess I have two favorite hammond solo's, one of which may not be prog, and I also have a favorite hammond part.

1. Solo in "Roundabout"- not a big Wakeman fan, but man this solo smokes. Time proven, solid as a rock.
2. Not really super proggy, but the solo in "Hold Your Head Up" by Rod Argent is also about as good as it gets.
3. From a favorite hammond part, the hammond organ work that John Evans did in Thick As A Brick is brilliant.
Freedom Of Personal Expression Can Not Die
Gandalff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gandalff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 15:19
Definitely Marián Varga!
Tursake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tursake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 15:35
Too many to count Wink But the one in "Roundabout" is awesome Thumbs Up

Last.fm: TursakeX
RYM: Tursake
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 16:07
No Hammond B-3 post without the Queen of the Hammond B-3.:

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Gandalff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gandalff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 16:19
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Good, but quite cold. Varga is more innovative in my opinion.
Gandalff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gandalff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 16:24

Incredible!
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 16:39
Where is This Dream of Your Youth from Just a Collection of Antiques and Curios by Strawbs.

Wakeman's finest hour (or 8 minutes to be exact)
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 16:49

Never heard of her before but those videos are excellent!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 17:33
Originally posted by Gandalff Gandalff wrote:

Good, but quite cold. Varga is more innovative in my opinion.

I don't know what you mean by "cold"; I find nothing cold in her playing. And Barbara uses the pedals too, which hardly anyone does (though there are a few). Here is one in which she does a pedal solo:

Edited by BaldFriede - July 27 2010 at 18:17

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 18:05
what key-instrument is the solo in Light my Fire played with
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 19:25
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

what key-instrument is the solo in Light my Fire played with

that's definitely not a B3 Hammond-Organ Wink It's a Farfisa or a Vox Continental..

Edited by The Quiet One - July 27 2010 at 19:28
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 10:40
I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned Tony Banks' amazing organ work in "Supper's Ready"!!  

From Wikipedia:

"Apocalypse in 9/8 (Co-Starring the Delicious Talents of Gabble Ratchet)"

At this point, the drums enter, with the rhythm section of Collins, Hackett and Rutherford striking out a pattern using the unusual metre of 9 beats to the bar (expressed as 3+2+4).[6] 

Over this, Gabriel sings lyrics filled with apocalyptic imagery akin to the Book of Revelation, alternating with a complex organ solo from Banks (played in various time signatures against the 9/8 rhythm section), then switching to a climactic vocal from Gabriel, and the mellotron "three violins" tape set. 

Banks has said that for this section his approach to writing the solo was to almost parody the style that Keith Emerson had developed with Emerson, Lake & Palmer.[citation needed]

otto pankrock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto pankrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 14:45
Jon Lord anyone? Burn, And the Address, Hard Loving Man...the list goes on.
And yeah, Wakeman on Roundabout. Never got tired of that one.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 15:01
I know that Wakeman used a church organ for the studio version of Awaken, but what did he use to perform it live? If it's one of these, then this is my chosen trackLOL
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 16:04
I don't know if this qualifies but

Argent - Hold Your Head Up

saw Rod Argent do this on Sunday at High Voltage. I'm not familar with his rig either now or then though!

btw this is also Rick Wakemans favorite Hammond organ solo
nahnite View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nahnite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 17:03
Definitely the solo in "Roundabout".  Then that organ lead in Opeth's "Burden".  A scorcher!
tmay102436 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmay102436 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 17:32
Along w/the Wakeman/Argent solo's - Rod's a real muso...the solo in the group Sugarloaf's "Green Eyed Lady" was awfully nice also.
Freedom Of Personal Expression Can Not Die
Ronnie Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 17:47
John Evans, Thick as a Brick, side the first about 3:45 into it.
It's not technically great or anything but, man, it's wicked.

Edited by Ronnie Pilgrim - July 31 2010 at 16:39
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 17:59
Originally posted by tmay102436 tmay102436 wrote:

Along w/the Wakeman/Argent solo's - Rod's a real muso...the solo in the group Sugarloaf's "Green Eyed Lady" was awfully nice also.

You bet, thanks for posting that!  

Man, the sound of a Hammond B-3 through Leslie speakers.....THE classic sound of early 1970's rock!   Everybody from Deep Purple to Focus, in jazz, pop, soul, hard rock & prog....what a powerful sound!!   

Think of the organ parts on "Maggie May" by Rod Stewart, fantastic!  Ronnie Lane did damn close to a prog performance on the bass guitar on that tune! 

Jerry Corbetta was the keyboardist for Sugarloaf, he's still playing with a group called "The Classic Rock All Stars."  I'd love to see them, kinda fossils, but it dials it back to my high-school days!!   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>