Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favorite Hammond B-3 organ solo?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halabalushindigus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 19:09
Originally posted by Tursake Tursake wrote:

Too many to count Wink But the one in "Roundabout" is awesome Thumbs Up
I say "Roundabout" as wellTongue

assume the power 1586/14.3
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 19:19
Pretty much any early Emerson solo (e.g., Knife-Edge).

Some have mentioned Rod Argent.  He plays a thoroughly prog-worthy solo on Lothlorien, from Ring of Hands.  Ol' Goodge Harris has a great solo on Galactic Zoo Dossier (on Gypsy Escape).  One of my favorites.

Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 22:56
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I know that Wakeman used a church organ for the studio version of Awaken, but what did he use to perform it live? If it's one of these, then this is my chosen trackLOL

Actually, I once read that he used a PORTABLE pipe organ for those shows!!  Amazing!

I saw that tour in Chicago at the now-demolished Chicago Auditorium, it was unreal!  The band smoked!!
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 10:01
Brian Auger

himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote himtroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 14:21
Must it be a b3?  I have many Hammond L-100 examples I'd like to mention!  Dave Stewart is an L-100 man and I prefer him to most organ players.  
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halabalushindigus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 14:24
my first thought was "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" by Procol Harum but that's not really a solo, I just like the sound of it

assume the power 1586/14.3
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crimhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 15:14
Jon Lord from DP comes to mind.
Emerson fron The Nice/ELP also.
Wakeman of course,solo or Yes.
Brian Auger.
Kerry Minnear
John Evan
Gregg Allman,ABB fame

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 15:14
These Brian Auger videos remind me that I was at an Eric Burdon concert once, and he had Auger as keyboarder. At one point of the concert the guitar player broke a string during a song, and Auger did an ad hoc solo that had definitely not been planned so the guitar player had time enough to replace the string during the song. That was really impressive; true professionalism.

Edited by BaldFriede - July 31 2010 at 15:15

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 15:16
What's the difference between the various Hammond organs? 
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote himtroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 15:26
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

What's the difference between the various Hammond organs? 

Different settings, amounts of draw bars, tone, amount of bass pedals, keyboard length...etc.  The tone generators, vibrato, keyboard length, and amount of draw bars are the most important differences IMO.  For example a Hammond L-100 vs a Hammond B3.

The L-100 has a much more metallic sound (think Dave Stewart) whereas the B-3 has the more typical gospel like soft sound (obviously prog rock musicians overdrive and alter this at times).  Think Keith Emerson, Wakeman, or most of the big guys on that one.

The L-100 has fewer draw bars than a B-3. which in turn gives you less control over the tone.

The B-3 has much longer keyboards than the L-100.  The L-100 starts on F and has two full octaves, then goes up a fifth and ends on C.  The B-3 has a much wider range, the lower range is added on.  

The B-3 also has heavier percussion AKA key click.

B-3 has more tremolo sounding softer vibrato, whereas the L-100 has a wide fast vibrato.

The B-3 is preferred by almost all, but honestly for wild prog music I prefer the gnarly beast sound of the  L-100.  

B-3 has multiple octaves of bass pedals, the L-100 only has one.

Keith Emerson always has both on stage.  He plays both simultaneously, and the L-100 is what he rides around on on stage. 

Thats only two popular choices in comparison.  They've had every subtle difference imaginable over the years.  Some with single keyboards, different sounds, no pedals, anything.  The L-100, A-100, and C-3 are all the EXACT same organ in different casings.  The B-3  is much more stripped down and visible from all sides, the C-3 is closed in so that women could play in dresses/skirts without anyone getting a peek.  The A-100 is similar to the B-3 but with onboard speakers and spring reverb added.

My L-100 is my baby.

Edited by himtroy - July 31 2010 at 15:33
Ronnie Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 17:00
I passed on buying a C3 at the Salvation Army thrift shop for $75. They couldn't plug it in for me to see if it worked. On hindsight, what's seventy five clams on such rare chance?

Please shoot me.

Edited by Ronnie Pilgrim - July 31 2010 at 19:37
The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Runaway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 17:28
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

Pretty much any early Emerson solo (e.g., Knife-Edge).

Some have mentioned Rod Argent.  He plays a thoroughly prog-worthy solo on Lothlorien, from Ring of Hands.  Ol' Goodge Harris has a great solo on Galactic Zoo Dossier (on Gypsy Escape).  One of my favorites.

Emerson plays C3. I say Gershatzer by Atomic Rooster!
Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
scatterplot1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scatterplot1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 18:13
So many. I'm thinking of the chilling Hammond part in the song Tarkus, the part where Greg Lake plays two fairly loose guitar solos overdubbed. I've got an Oberhiem Matrix1000 that has some FAT sounding Hammonds. Maybe I ought to go hook it up(been storing it for 2 years.
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterblogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 20:22
eddiefang View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddiefang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 22:26
Jon Lords' solo on Highway Star from Made In Japan is amazing!Clap
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thellama73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 22:31
Vincent Crane's B3 playing on the Crazy World of Arthur Brown is mindblowing, particularly on "I Put a Spell on You."

I'm also fond of the Zombies' "Time of the Season" which has two organ solos at the same time.
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote himtroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 22:59
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Vincent Crane's B3 playing on the Crazy World of Arthur Brown is mindblowing, particularly on "I Put a Spell on You."

I'm also fond of the Zombies' "Time of the Season" which has two organ solos at the same time.

The version of I Put a Spell on You on that album is absolutely phenomenal.  The bluesy organ throughout is amazing and shows how fantastic Vincent Crane is.  
The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Runaway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 08:11
Originally posted by Ronnie Pilgrim Ronnie Pilgrim wrote:

I passed on buying a C3 at the Salvation Army thrift shop for $75. They couldn't plug it in for me to see if it worked. On hindsight, what's seventy five clams on such rare chance?

Please shoot me.

WHAT?!??!?! HOW LONG AGO WAS THAT?!?! I'M BUYING A PLANE TICKET NOWWWWWWWWW
Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
Ronnie Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 10:01
Originally posted by The Runaway The Runaway wrote:

Originally posted by Ronnie Pilgrim Ronnie Pilgrim wrote:

Please shoot me.

WHAT?!??!?! HOW LONG AGO WAS THAT?!?! I'M BUYING A PLANE TICKET NOWWWWWWWWW

LOL Three or four years ago. Save your money and check out your local Salivation Army thrift shop. You'd be surprised what ends up there! 
The odds of another find like that here are one in a mellotron. Big smile

Edited by Ronnie Pilgrim - August 19 2010 at 10:02
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thehallway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 14:56
Everyone mentions Wakeman's Roundabout hamond-rape (which is quite awesome) BUT what about his much cooler one in Close to the Edge??!

It's blinding fast, really melodic, and has the most spine-tinglingly clean sound that just cuts thru the sitar-chords of Mr Howe. The pureness of each note (though they don't last for long!) is so rare in hammond-playing, where the rough and dirty sounds usually prevail.

It's my favourite keyboard solo, let alone organ solo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>