Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favorite Hammond B-3 organ solo?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2010 at 16:10
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

Everyone mentions Wakeman's Roundabout hamond-rape (which is quite awesome) BUT what about his much cooler one in Close to the Edge??!

It's blinding fast, really melodic, and has the most spine-tinglingly clean sound that just cuts thru the sitar-chords of Mr Howe. The pureness of each note (though they don't last for long!) is so rare in hammond-playing, where the rough and dirty sounds usually prevail.

It's my favourite keyboard solo, let alone organ solo.

Good point, thanks!  

"Hammond-rape"??  LOL!  I usually think of Emerson when I think of lads assaulting Hammonds!!  
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 13:24
Hey, look -- a resurrected thread. How did this get here? *shrugs*

Anyway, since someone's already brought up Jon Lord, I see no one's mentioned Ken Hensley of Uriah Heep. There was a running Hammond battle between those two in the early 70s. This song is still brutal, almost 50 years later (1970). It's almost Sabbath with a Hammond.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 13:38
Jimmy Smith - The Cat.
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 18:46
Rick Wright or Keith Emerson, toss up between those two.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 02:01
What’s the difference between the C3 and B3 ??
I love the L100 model, to be particular. And Dave Stewart wrangled the best tones out of it (along with his fuzz-box.....)
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 11:32
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Tell me about it!!  I started this thread in 2010??!!  

Some good posts were made, thanks to all!  The Hammond organ was and remains a mighty prog beast!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 12:22
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 13:05

Anyway, since someone's already brought up Jon Lord, I see no one's mentioned Ken Hensley of Uriah Heep. There was a running Hammond battle between those two in the early 70s. This song is still brutal, almost 50 years later (1970). It's almost Sabbath with a Hammond.

Still my favorite Heep track......
Big smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 00:19
Whatever model Vincent Crane used (C3 I think) had an AMAZING tone, especially on The Crazy World of Arthur Brown and Atomic Rooster’s debut.
Cord Change View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cord Change Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 01:37
Brian Auger solos are top notch - One of the best b3 players ever regardless of solos or not. Brains and Julie’s covers feature amazing solos from Brian. There gospel covers are the best like Take me to the water and Lord remember me with John Baldry <3
Minus the h.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 06:08
Originally posted by Cord Change Cord Change wrote:

Brian Auger solos are top notch - One of the best b3 players ever regardless of solos or not. Brains and Julie’s covers feature amazing solos from Brian. There gospel covers are the best like Take me to the water and Lord remember me with John Baldry <3
I love Bumpin’ on Sunset    ......such a blissful ride
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 07:24
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Still my favorite Heep track......
Big smile

It's my fave too....well alongside July Morning that is.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 14:51
I don't know if it's a Hammond, or if so, which one, but my all time favorite organ solo is George Duke on  Fifty Fifty. from Overnite Senastion

Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Cord Change View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cord Change Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 16:04
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by Cord Change Cord Change wrote:

I love Bumpin’ on Sunset    ......such a blissful ride

What a great cover, Jimmy Smith should never be left out of any conversation concerning the b3.
Minus the h.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 17:47
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

I don't know if it's a Hammond, or if so, which one, but my all time favorite organ solo is George Duke on  Fifty Fifty. from Overnite Senastion.

No, that wasn't a Hammond. Per George Duke, the band was in a church somewhere and Zappa told him to play the church's pipe organ.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 15:40
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

We've had a good run on Mellotron & Mini-Moog solos, let me start a new one.....which is your favorite Hammond B-3 organ solo in a prog composition?  

Lots to pick from, including Emerson, Wakeman, Banks etc.!

My personal favorite is Wakeman's blazing solo in "Roundabout," Bruford once called Wakeman "the best Hammond player in the UK" in an interview.   That solo he plays is astounding! 

Go for it!  

I agree !!!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 22:12
Originally posted by maryes maryes wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

We've had a good run on Mellotron & Mini-Moog solos, let me start a new one.....which is your favorite Hammond B-3 organ solo in a prog composition?  

Lots to pick from, including Emerson, Wakeman, Banks etc.!

My personal favorite is Wakeman's blazing solo in "Roundabout," Bruford once called Wakeman "the best Hammond player in the UK" in an interview.   That solo he plays is astounding! 

Go for it!  

I agree !!!

Responding to my 2010 post in 2018!!  Now THAT'S progressive!!  Clap
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2018 at 13:58
You got remastered, 'stack!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2018 at 17:54
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

You got remastered, 'stack!

LOL
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2018 at 04:11
The solo in Quill's Sursum Corda that closes off side A of that album is currently my favorite alongside Uriah Heep's July Morning.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>