Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 14:21
Originally posted by KoS KoS wrote:

PC as I hate the Mac UI.

This..
caretaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 08:37
This has all been quite fun. But to answer the question, I've been using PC's at work and home and never liked any of them. Gonna go Mac after I smash this one.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 08:41
Can you even run civilization on the Iphone computer ?
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 08:43
well it seems you can !
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 09:58
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

. . . the Iphone computer . . .

You've got to be kidding me.
CinemaZebra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 11:25
I lol'd
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 12:56
Geek The part of the iPhone that is actually a phone cost around 20¢ and could fit in a teaspoon - the rest of it is a handheld computer based on 32-bit RISC processor using the ARM architecture and is the the same processor that is used in the iPad. So, yeah, the iPhone computer.

Then, the iPad is just a giant comedic iPhone...
What?
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 13:06
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Geek The part of the iPhone that is actually a phone cost around 20¢ and could fit in a teaspoon - the rest of it is a handheld computer based on 32-bit RISC processor using the ARM architecture and is the the same processor that is used in the iPad. So, yeah, the iPhone computer.

I thought he was calling Macs 'iPhone computers', which would be a gross oversimplification. Apple made home computers a reality long before Microsnooze streamlined the concept and made them more affordable/accessible, so talking about Macs as if they are derivatives of the iPhone is just incorrect. 

And don't get me started on the iPad.

Edited by JLocke - August 04 2010 at 13:07
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 16:26
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

I thought he was calling Macs 'iPhone computers', which would be a gross oversimplification. Apple made home computers a reality long before Microsnooze streamlined the concept and made them more affordable/accessible, so talking about Macs as if they are derivatives of the iPhone is just incorrect. 

Hmm, the Apple 1 was a small success, but no one would call it a home computer - it was a hobbyists tinker toy, the Apple 2 was slightly more successful and found its way into offices (but couldn't really compete with the Commadore Pet or the established S100 based business computers), but mainly because it was illegally cloned, again as a hobbyists plaything. Of all the home computers that were around then, Apple were running down the list, behind Commodore, Atari, Tandy/Radio Shack/Sharp and TI (Brands vary between USA and Europe - in the UK Sinclair, Amstrad and Acorn dominated the 8-bit market). When things went 16-bit, Apple were nowhere to be seen with Ataris and Amigas ruling the home market. The original Macintosh never was a home computer - it was too expensive and only really aimed at desk-top publishing (hence it's popularity with authors and graphics designers), it was designed to be a business machine. The PC was also designed as a business machine, but was cheaper, clone-able, expandable and really popular with ordinary office people, and their managers, and their accountants. The PC moved into the home because people wanted to use the same computer at home that they were using at work. Apple took years to recover from that - it was only when the iMac came out that they began to sell to home users - and IMO it was only it's looks that won the market share - it was a high-priced chique luxury ornament status symbol.
What?
Trademark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 17:32
One of the real turning points in the windows/mac wars came in the late 80s (86, I think, not sure).  Microsoft had just come out with the first version of Windows.  The Apple folks looked at it and rightly saw it as a blatant rip off.  They immediately went to court and a Federal judge ordered Microsoft to stop selling the software until the intellectual property issues could be resolved.  Microsoft did exactly what the judge ordered, they stopped selling windows... and instead started they gave it away for free. 

They literally had hundreds of folks out on street corners in Seattle (where I lived at the time) and other major cities giving away hundreds of thousands of copies of a program that was deemed an illegal copy of someone else's product.  They were really aggressive about it.  it was almost as bad as the flower sellers or window-washing panhandling bums.  They'd actually just toss them into your car if the window was down.   But since Microsoft did not make any money on them they could not be in violation of the law (technically).

By the time the dust settled Apple had lost their a huge chunk of their market share and Microsoft got away with what might really qualify as the "Crime of the Century".

Edited by Trademark - August 04 2010 at 17:32
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 22:53

Hmm, the Apple 1 was a small success, but no one would call it a home computer - it was a hobbyists tinker toy, the Apple 2 was slightly more successful and found its way into offices (but couldn't really compete with the Commadore Pet or the established S100 based business computers), but mainly because it was illegally cloned, again as a hobbyists plaything. Of all the home computers that were around then, Apple were running down the list, behind Commodore, Atari, Tandy/Radio Shack/Sharp and TI (Brands vary between USA and Europe - in the UK Sinclair, Amstrad and Acorn dominated the 8-bit market). When things went 16-bit, Apple were nowhere to be seen with Ataris and Amigas ruling the home market. The original Macintosh never was a home computer - it was too expensive and only really aimed at desk-top publishing (hence it's popularity with authors and graphics designers), it was designed to be a business machine. The PC was also designed as a business machine, but was cheaper, clone-able, expandable and really popular with ordinary office people, and their managers, and their accountants. The PC moved into the home because people wanted to use the same computer at home that they were using at work. Apple took years to recover from that - it was only when the iMac came out that they began to sell to home users - and IMO it was only it's looks that won the market share - it was a high-priced chique luxury ornament status symbol.

I never said Apple were successful back then, did I? I said they got the ball rolling in home-aimed computers (or at least, that's all I was trying to say). GUI was also theirs (No, I know they didn't invent it. But they were the first to perfect it. The Lisa introduced the fully functional interface complete with windows, menu bars and so forth).

You obviously know more than I do, so I'm just going to stop posting in this thread. ''I like Macs, get over it,''  I guess is the bottom line. If I'm doing it for status, I'm sure not aware of it. I just like the way they work for my needs. 

Edited by JLocke - August 04 2010 at 22:59
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 23:31
Yeah I think Xerox invented the GUI and the Mouse but let others capitalise on itConfused
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2010 at 01:31
I have used windows all my life. I've always hated it but never really decided to change. I finally did to a mac. I love it. So much better (for my needs) in all regards. Am I also doing it just for status?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2010 at 02:06

I never said Apple were successful back then, did I? I said they got the ball rolling in home-aimed computers (or at least, that's all I was trying to say). GUI was also theirs (No, I know they didn't invent it. But they were the first to perfect it. The Lisa introduced the fully functional interface complete with windows, menu bars and so forth).

You obviously know more than I do, so I'm just going to stop posting in this thread. ''I like Macs, get over it,''  I guess is the bottom line. If I'm doing it for status, I'm sure not aware of it. I just like the way they work for my needs. 
And as I was trying to show, Apple were never home-computer machines and nor were IBM - Apple II, III, Lisa, Macintosh and the PC were all aimed at the business market, as was iMac originally. They were always too over priced for home use (even PCs originally) and most of the software was business oriented. The first GUI to be used on a Home computer was GEM on the AtariST, followed by Workbench on the Amiga.

So, you had an original iMac (G3) then Micah? (an assumption based in your reaction to the status symbol quip) - there is no doubt that Jonathan Ive's styling of that machine completely turned around Apples' fortunes (makes one proud to be British Approve) because at the time the price tag at double the equivalent PC price was a lot to pay for something that works in exactly the same way as any other desk-top computer.

Edited by Dean - August 05 2010 at 02:09
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2010 at 02:29
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I have used windows all my life. I've always hated it but never really decided to change. I finally did to a mac. I love it. So much better (for my needs) in all regards. Am I also doing it just for status?
My comment was in the past-tense (hence the use of "was" not "is") and aimed at the iMac "when it came out" - implying the original iMac G3. [my posts are long enough as it is, having to spell-out implied inferences is going to make them even longer  ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.).

Comparing this poll with a similar poll of a couple of years ago shows that Mac's are more popular now than then - and I'm sure that "price" and "status" are not the reasons for that change. All Mac users tell me that they are "better" and they "work for my needs" - that's fine, but I think the "I like Macs, get over it" reply is probably closer to the mark.  ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2010 at 02:33
ps:I love the way everyone assumes I'm beating up Macs - I'm beating up PCs too - I don't think either of them are that great.
What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2010 at 02:42
I love my ancient iBook G4, but I'm a "light user" so I don't really count Big smile 
Ronnie Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2010 at 05:24
Macs are for creative people. PCs are for everyone else.
"The pointy birds are pointy pointy
Anoint my head anointy nointy"
Steve Martin The Man With Two Brains
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2010 at 05:26
^ How creative is thatSmile
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2010 at 10:47

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

My comment was in the past-tense (hence the use of "was" not "is") and aimed at the iMac "when it came out" - implying the original iMac G3. [my posts are long enough as it is, having to spell-out implied inferences is going to make them even longer  ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.).

Comparing this poll with a similar poll of a couple of years ago shows that Mac's are more popular now than then - and I'm sure that "price" and "status" are not the reasons for that change. All Mac users tell me that they are "better" and they "work for my needs" - that's fine, but I think the "I like Macs, get over it" reply is probably closer to the mark.  ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.

Better.. Approve

I'm so much happier with Mac OS than the freezing machine... I like Macs, get over it Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>