Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHave You Seen Triumvirat Live?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have You Seen Triumvirat Live?
    Posted: January 16 2018 at 22:53
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

^ An advertisement for Laney Amplifiers, with Triumvirat at a German Festival way back in 1972!

Presdoug, you are remarkable!  What a find!!  Clap
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Tao2112 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 18:34
Incredible!
Tao2112 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 18:33
No...But Spartacus was given to me when I was in fifth grade!  Then I moved to Germany, but never saw them.  Still have that vinyl today!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 09:03
^ An advertisement for Laney Amplifiers, with Triumvirat at a German Festival way back in 1972!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 09:00

Edited by presdoug - January 16 2018 at 09:02
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2017 at 02:23
I have not seen them live (much too young anyway), but I can imagine how incredible that experience would be!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 19:41
Rare photo of Juergen Fritz at his keyboards with Triumvirat live at the Krefeld Music Festival in Germany, 1973

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2017 at 11:20
I saw another unusual grouping of Triumvirat live, this time with the Kinks and The Eric Burdon Band, a poster from 1974. Who would figure?

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 06:06
^Hey, thanks so much, Chuck!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 18:52
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I just heard for the first time, the solo album by former Triumvirat lead vocalist David Hanselmann called It's Me!, which came out in 2016, and features remakes of 4 Triumvirat songs off the much criticised A La Carte album, and it is good to see the spirit of that album alive, at least in part. He sent me an autographed copy of It's Me!

Presdoug, you never cease to amaze!  Bands all wish they had super-fans like you!!  Clap
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 12:32
I just heard for the first time, the solo album by former Triumvirat lead vocalist David Hanselmann called It's Me!, which came out in 2016, and features remakes of 4 Triumvirat songs off the much criticised A La Carte album, and it is good to see the spirit of that album alive, at least in part. He sent me an autographed copy of It's Me!

Edited by presdoug - August 15 2017 at 12:33
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2017 at 16:19
^Hey, you are most welcome, and glad you liked the thread! Never been to Germany, but it would be fun, for sure. Not much interest in Triumvirat in my native Canada, unfortunately. Oh, well, I don't let that stop me!
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2017 at 10:19
Doug, thanks for all the great info and enthusiasm on Triumvirat.  This thread was a fun read!

I used to live in Germany back in the early 1990's.  A friend of ours was looking through our CD collection, and she said - you should talk to my friend Heiner, he owns a record store in Saarbrucken that sells all this kind of stuff - you and he would have fun talking.

So I rolled down to Saarbrucken to check out Heiner's store (called "Zoom").  I remember when I looked in the front window, he had LP covers from Magma, Nektar, and Triumvirat - front & center.  (It was Mediterranean Tales, Sounds Like This, and Hhai.)  I was like, "No Way!" and went in to check this miraculous place out.

We had a great talk on prog, and I ended up spending several hundred dollars on prog CDs.

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2017 at 08:46
Finally heard the "Road To Nowhere" CD, it is a Japanese pressing of the Ultrasonics Studios recording, and remastered, though still a boot, really. I did hear some things in the recording I had not before, though.

Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 00:00
Just watched the presentation. Talk about a fan. You even have a picture of one of the band members' House. Do you have the name of his goldfish? Just kidding Big smile. I guess there were a few bands who picked up on the Nice back in the sixties. I actually like the Nice more than ELP. The only place I could find any info on The Nice was Emerson's book, Pictures of an Exhibitionist right from the horses mouth. I first started listening to Triumvirat after I found Pomppeii in a bargain bin in Montreal when retail record stores still existed back in the seventies probably 1978 because it was my last year of high school. One thing that I always wondered about was that white mouse. I mean it was cool but I never understood the white mouse. 

Although I like the music a lot I think that they went off the deep end with the concepts. Sort of like the bass player at the end of Spinal Tap saying that they were planning a rock opera based on the life of Jack The RipperLOL. But hey, that was progressive rock in the seventies. Look at some of the stuff that Rick Wakeman came up with with The English Rock Ensemble as well as his solo albums. 

It's 2 AM and I'm blasting  Live at Ultrasonic Studios from '74 on Youtube  at eleven on the headphones. This when they were at the top of their game for sure. Bits of it sounds notoriously like ELP. A La Carte and Russian Roulette don't do anything for me. I guess they didn't do anything for the record company either.

Getting back to Triumvirat live. I think that I saw on some Hawkwind site that Triumvirat even opened for them on a few occasions in the US but can't remember the site.

Edited by Kepler62 - February 19 2017 at 00:12
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 11:09
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

Maybe if Triumvirat had been teamed up with bands like Moody Blues,Genesis,Yes and the like,
instead of Lou Reed and Fleetwood Mac,they would have done a lot better.

What went  through the minds of promoters? I have a friend that saw Focus at the time of Hamburger Concerto opening for Lou Reed. He watched the Focus part and then took off. This thread reminds me of another similar band that might have never toured. Trace from Holland as well. There's a great German TV video on Youtube playing stuff from "Birds". I am pretty sure that Ekseption toured around Europe in the late 60s early 70s.

Too bad Triumvirat didn't get bigger but I suspect  that the reason was that they were on EMI and EMI had heavier hitters on their rosterl during the first half of the seventies. Just a theory. Interesting thread though..
Hey, thanks. The list of odd group pairings with Triumvirat live goes on and on-Grand Funk, BTO, Jefferson Starship, Pavlov's Dog, ELO. Not to say those are not great groups, but Triumvirat's cerebral, at times classically inspired focus must have been a hard sell for the crowds of those other bands. Yeah, just what were the promoters thinking? And EMI? Probably busy focusing on "the big boys" like Pink Floyd.
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 06:49
Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

Maybe if Triumvirat had been teamed up with bands like Moody Blues,Genesis,Yes and the like,
instead of Lou Reed and Fleetwood Mac,they would have done a lot better.

What went  through the minds of promoters? I have a friend that saw Focus at the time of Hamburger Concerto opening for Lou Reed. He watched the Focus part and then took off. This thread reminds me of another similar band that might have never toured. Trace from Holland as well. There's a great German TV video on Youtube playing stuff from "Birds". I am pretty sure that Ekseption toured around Europe in the late 60s early 70s.

Too bad Triumvirat didn't get bigger but I suspect  that the reason was that they were on EMI and EMI had heavier hitters on their rosterl during the first half of the seventies. Just a theory. Interesting thread though..

Edited by Kepler62 - February 17 2017 at 06:57
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2017 at 14:44
Another photo of Helmut's home.

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2017 at 14:36
Where Helmut Koellen lived with his parents in Cologne, Germany.

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 18:34
Heard from someone that the Triumvirat simulcast took place with the PBS TV station in the Orlando Fl. area. I have e-mailed them about this to verify, and asked if the footage still exists, and if they will make it available, though I'm not holding my breath on this one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>