Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHave You Seen Triumvirat Live?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have You Seen Triumvirat Live?
    Posted: July 29 2010 at 22:13
Unfortunately, I did not discover my favourite band Triumvirat until they had already stopped recording and touring.
          I would be interested to know who out there actually saw the group live, and what it was like?
           The only PA member I know of who has made reference to seeing Triumvirat live is cstack3, who was lucky enough to have seen them when Helmut Koellen was with the band

Edited by presdoug - September 28 2014 at 20:50
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 08:17

Yes I did see them and here is the insulting part.........TELEVISION. 

They appeared on a show called "In Concert". They played for a whole of 40 minutes. They would play for 10 minutes or so, then the TV station would break for commerials. This was just after the release of "Illusions On A Double Dimple" . I had a personal interest in seeing the band after hearing several tracks of the album on Philadelphia radio stations played by the F--G Boy wonder DJ'S of our area. I remember enjoying the performance of Triumvirat. They were very tight as a band and well polished. No flaws and well rehearsed.

I was a mere teenager during this time. I remember Triumvirat being promoted on the FM Radio stations in America....which at that time ironically FM radio was turning into the stadium rock circus show for everyone. For example you would hear Triumvirat pieces in between Robin Trower and Ted Nugent songs. It was like mixing gourmet food with some slop house grease spoon fed McDonalds value mealLOL. Like what you see on music television today except now, everything is so compartmentalized with the Paul Greens of the world.Disapprove Everything in the media is still garbage just approached from a different angle.  
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 10:08
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

They appeared on a show called "In Concert". They played for a whole of 40 minutes. They would play for 10 minutes or so, then the TV station would break for commerials. This was just after the release of "Illusions On A Double Dimple" . I had a personal interest in seeing the band after hearing several tracks of the album on Philadelphia radio stations played by the F--G Boy wonder DJ'S of our area. I remember enjoying the performance of Triumvirat. They were very tight as a band and well polished. No flaws and well rehearsed.

I was a mere teenager during this time. I remember Triumvirat being promoted on the FM Radio stations in America....which at that time ironically FM radio was turning into the stadium rock circus show for everyone. For example you would hear Triumvirat pieces in between Robin Trower and Ted Nugent songs. It was like mixing gourmet food with some slop house grease spoon fed McDonalds value mealLOL. Like what you see on music television today except now, everything is so compartmentalized with the Paul Greens of the world.Disapprove Everything in the media is still garbage just approached from a different angle.  
Thanks for your response-that is fascinating! Makes one wonder if in an archive somewhere, there is the footage you saw-i think i will make some inquiries about that-and this was the band with Helmut Koellen!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 14:27
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Thanks for your response-that is fascinating! Makes one wonder if in an archive somewhere, there is the footage you saw-i think i will make some inquiries about that-and this was the band with Helmut Koellen!
Toddler-although it was a heckuva long time ago, do you remember the date you saw the footage?  i was also wondering if you know where it was filmed and where this program In Concert was broadcast from?
             Thanks
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 17:22
It was either the year Illusions On A Double Dimple was released (which I don't remember)....but easy info for you to obtain....or it was the following year. The show "In Concert" was well known through part of the 70's during the height of other shows such as "Midnight Special" and Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. 'In Concert" seemed to allow band's to stretch out their performance time or slot.....even more so then Kirshner did. Do a search on the television music program from the 70's ...."In Concert" Check out the history and see if there is a listing of the acts which performed. There might be option to e-mail someone from a un-official Triumvirat website. I don't know if there is an official one? good luck
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 21:45

It was either the year Illusions On A Double Dimple was released (which I don't remember)....but easy info for you to obtain....or it was the following year. The show "In Concert" was well known through part of the 70's during the height of other shows such as "Midnight Special" and Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. 'In Concert" seemed to allow band's to stretch out their performance time or slot.....even more so then Kirshner did. Do a search on the television music program from the 70's ...."In Concert" Check out the history and see if there is a listing of the acts which performed. There might be option to e-mail someone from a un-official Triumvirat website. I don't know if there is an official one? good luck
Thanks for the info, TODDLER-Off i go!Smile
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 21:50
To all-if i get anywhere with In Concert,  i will post the results
                           cheers!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 01:56

To all-if i get anywhere with In Concert,  i will post the results
                           cheers!
P.S. when i say "post the results" , i only mean the written information on the video's commercial availability, not the actual video itself, as there could be copyright issues
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 15:47
On a basic search for Don Kirshner,...I found on Wikipedia Encyclopedia some info.......Kirshner was asked by ABC Television in 1972 to be producer and consultant for the "In Concert" series. Kirshner left "In Concert" to produce his own Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. I really do believe I saw Triumvirat on "In Concert" and not Don Kirshner's Rock Concert but, I still search for a list of performers on D.K.R.C. and came across only a portional list of performers. Guess what? Triumvirat were not listed......well, that's not surprising. I searched You Tube for an excerpt of Triumvirat on the In Concert series but again.....nothing.
I would still try to find Triumvirat listed as playing on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. Bounce between the 2 shows and see what you can come up with. Please let me know. very curious.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 21:49
i have not got good news
       It seems that the masters for the Original In Concert series are "missing", which translates as lost or ditched, probably a bit of both-it seems that the concert footage was not considered a money making thing at the time
              Don Kirshner's Rock Concert is a bit of a different story, only problem is that i double checked their complete episode guide and there is no reference to Triumvirat
                     i find this very painfull news, but what more can i say?
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 22:38

i have not got good news
       It seems that the masters for the Original In Concert series are "missing", which translates as lost or ditched, probably a bit of both-it seems that the concert footage was not considered a money making thing at the time
              Don Kirshner's Rock Concert is a bit of a different story, only problem is that i double checked their complete episode guide and there is no reference to Triumvirat

It could be stored away in a vault. What a great surprise that would be. Pete Sinfield misplaced the Fillmore East tape of King Crimson. Supposedly he discovered it missing when his plane landed. This is the special concert which Fripp claims to be the ultimate performance of the King Crimson band in 1969.

This is what could have happened:....If a theif stole the tape (along with other items), and music was not on his agenda, it may have been tossed into a nearby trashcan.

Maybe someone has been holding on to it or transferring it to disc for their own pleasure with no head for business or in fact no motive whatsoever. 

I waited all my life to hear an official live concert release of YES ....the prime lineup that toured off the album Fragile. Anderson, Wakeman, Bruford, Howe, and Squire. From the early 70's there is only one track from this lineup  on YESSONGS.  So many people love Yes but, have yet to hear that particular lineup perform a concert on an official cd release. The group that recorded Close to the Edge? Why not? As always with many prog bands from this era, it remains a mystery to fans unless they can produce money to unfold it. 

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 12:06

i have not got good news

It could be stored away in a vault. What a great surprise that would be. Pete Sinfield misplaced the Fillmore East tape of King Crimson. Supposedly he discovered it missing when his plane landed. This is the special concert which Fripp claims to be the ultimate performance of the King Crimson band in 1969.

This is what could have happened:....If a theif stole the tape (along with other items), and music was not on his agenda, it may have been tossed into a nearby trashcan.

Maybe someone has been holding on to it or transferring it to disc for their own pleasure with no head for business or in fact no motive whatsoever. 

I waited all my life to hear an official live concert release of YES ....the prime lineup that toured off the album Fragile. Anderson, Wakeman, Bruford, Howe, and Squire. From the early 70's there is only one track from this lineup  on YESSONGS.  So many people love Yes but, have yet to hear that particular lineup perform a concert on an official cd release. The group that recorded Close to the Edge? Why not? As always with many prog bands from this era, it remains a mystery to fans unless they can produce money to unfold it. 

you have some well taken points-it is not a complete lost cause regarding the Triumvrat footage-i can tell you that alot of fans of the group, as i am sure you know, would jump at the chance to see and purchase this video-to whoever out there that may have it-do not sit on it, it would be a money making opportunity if you were to make it commercially available
cloviskoba View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 14:59
Only thing I got is in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jCG2Q4RJb8

That's a melodic song from Pompeii album, sorry for us there's no other published.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 16:12
Originally posted by cloviskoba cloviskoba wrote:

Only thing I got is in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jCG2Q4RJb8

That's a melodic song from Pompeii album, sorry for us there's no other published.
thanks, cloviskoba, was aware of that one-only other live one on youtube  is a Swiss tv performance of Waterfall from the A La Carte album-the voice still sounds like Barry Palmer, but onstage is Jurgen Fritz singing and playing piano with a bass player and drummer
                  too bad there is nothing from the Fritz-Bathelt-Koellen period currently, but there is always hopeSmile
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 20:47
while looking at Triumvirat's listing in PA, on ebay is something that is totally new to me
it is a cd initially titled Triumvirat-Uncommon CD
 further investigation has turned up what is  a CD called Triumvirat-Flashback- Various Performances 1974-1975!
       no kidding-there are some tracks prefaced by the word Television-must be audio recordings from TV broadcasts, or could there be something visual?!
          there are other tracks from both Illusions On A Double Dimple and Spartacus from different places in the US-these must all be direct live recordings or live taped from broadcasts! now i do not know if this is from a legitimate , recognised source,but this is exciting, and hopefull
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 17:54
I saw Triumvirate opening for Jefferson Starship and Fleetwood Mac in 1975 at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, Ca.  They played the usual 45 minute opening band set.  I wasn't all that familiar with their music  but I thought they sounded a lot like ELP and even the haircut and leather pants worn by Hans Jurgen looked like he was trying to get that Emerson image on stage.  Not so much the other two.  They were competent without really much of a stage show being the openers and all but they played well . They were better than Fleetwood Mac for sure ( the Bob Welch led band at the time) but it was so short there were not any lasting memories for me expect for the fact I bought Spartacus a short time later.     Sorry i don't have much more to report.  

Edited by Garion81 - August 16 2010 at 17:54

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 21:50
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

I saw Triumvirate opening for Jefferson Starship and Fleetwood Mac in 1975 at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, Ca.  They played the usual 45 minute opening band set.  I wasn't all that familiar with their music  but I thought they sounded a lot like ELP and even the haircut and leather pants worn by Hans Jurgen looked like he was trying to get that Emerson image on stage.  Not so much the other two.  They were competent without really much of a stage show being the openers and all but they played well . They were better than Fleetwood Mac for sure ( the Bob Welch led band at the time) but it was so short there were not any lasting memories for me expect for the fact I bought Spartacus a short time later.     Sorry i don't have much more to report.  

Still, what you have reported is interesting, thanksSmile
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 23:37
Yep, I also saw them back up Fleetwood Mac about 1975!   Mac was touring with the "Heroes Are Hard To Find" LP, and they were really very good!  I like Bob Welch a lot.   

It was a pleasant surprise to have Triumvarate open for Mac, they were brilliant!   Jurgen looked like Emerson, only about 100 kg heavier!    

Koellen was great, he sang/played amazingly well considering he didn't even know English!  He also played a bit of 6-string electric (Les Paul as I recall), and the band's sound was well-balanced!   As I recall, this was shortly before "Spartacus" came out, we all listened to "Illusions" frequently (this concert was at the University of Illinois).   

U of I was prog-central back then!   We were the birthplace of Starcastle and hosted concerts for ELP, Tull, Brand X, tons of others!  Great town back then, even King Crimson took up a residency once (Adrian Belew hails from those parts).  
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 23:41

i have not got good news
Sorry to learn that!  I recall some great episodes of In Concert including Mahavishnu Orchestra!!

My friends Flash were on Midnight Special once, but I missed that show & can't seem to locate a recording!    

Flash will play at Progfest, check out their YouTube postings.  Scale the Summit are also there, talented kids from Texas.  Highly recommended for instrumental prog-metal heads!

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 15:51
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

i have not got good news
Sorry to learn that!  I recall some great episodes of In Concert including Mahavishnu Orchestra!!

My friends Flash were on Midnight Special once, but I missed that show & can't seem to locate a recording!    

Flash will play at Progfest, check out their YouTube postings.  Scale the Summit are also there, talented kids from Texas.  Highly recommended for instrumental prog-metal heads!

thanks for your responses, cstack3. Man, i envy you!Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>