Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHave You Seen Triumvirat Live?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2014 at 20:47
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Well, well, well!
         For the first time in my life, on the net tonight, i saw a direct reference to a concert with Triumvirat in Canada.
 (I started a thread on Triumvirat in Canada, but it has been closed)
           The reference mentions Supertramp and Triumvirat -Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium, Calgary, Alberta, Canada for Tues. Aug. 5th, 1975.
              It does not mention who led in for who, and whether this concert actually did take place for certain.
        Anybody out there actually see the show?

Triumvirat in Canada was a reality. I checked the above reference recently, and someone signed up as having been to this Calgary concert so long ago. Makes me wonder if there were any other Canadian dates.
I heard recently from a very reliable source, that Triumvirat did indeed play Montreal.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 19:18
There is a new old Triumvirat recording now available, Triumvirat Live from Ultrasonic Studios, Hempstead, NY, October 1st, 1974, FM (Soundboard)
              It consists of The Burning Sword Of Capua intro, and the complete Illusions On A Double Dimple album
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 17:42

There is a new old Triumvirat recording now available, Triumvirat Live from Ultrasonic Studios, Hempstead, NY, October 1st, 1974, FM (Soundboard)
              It consists of The Burning Sword Of Capua intro, and the complete Illusions On A Double Dimple album
I believe this to be the first performance of the band in North America. I've read that Ultrasonic Studios was a pretty professionally run place, so this should sound good!Thumbs Up
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 18:33
It's a legit release? Who's selling it? Must have it!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 19:03
Sorry, but looks like it's not a legit release, even though it's from a Studio Soundboard source.

There is a place on the net in America called Rockinconcerts that is selling it.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 19:22
How much did you pay for it?
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 20:04
I haven't bought a copy yet. It sells for $19.99 US. 
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 04:06

There is: Triumvirat - 1974/10/12 - Live in Providence, RI online now at youtube.

Were they mostly a studio band, or did they not do extensive touring?  It seems very odd there are not more live copies floating around, or are there?
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 04:24
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

There is: Triumvirat - 1974/10/12 - Live in Providence, RI online now at youtube.

Were they mostly a studio band, or did they not do extensive touring?  It seems very odd there are not more live copies floating around, or are there?
They did tour extensively during their career. There only exists boots like the one above as documents of their live concerts. The closest thing that comes to a "legit" live recording were three tracks from Spartacus that used to be in a bootleg, that were cleaned up and presented as bonus tracks on Friday Music's CD issue of the Spartacus album a few years back.
                              One of those Spartacus live tracks "The Capitol Of Power" actually used to be the B-side of a single from 1976.
                 There nowhere exists an official complete live concert of Triumvirat-very odd, indeed.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 04:57
Doug, who among the band is still alive? Surely one of them must have some recordings hidden away that fans - and some lucky label! - would love to have released?
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 08:36
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Doug, who among the band is still alive? Surely one of them must have some recordings hidden away that fans - and some lucky label! - would love to have released?
The only member of the band that I know has passed on is Helmut. Of the surviving members, only Barry Palmer is actively on the net and still connects himself with Triumvirat, though.
                                       You raise an important question, some of them may have access to live recordings.
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 09:40
Back in the day when Grand Funk toured their Shinin' On album,they passed through Denmark on their euro tour.
Triumvirat was on this date  warmup.My friend was at this show and said Triumvirat never showed up for their gig.
Gear just standing there on stage until it got removed so Grand Funk could play their show.
Shake & bake.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 12:39
Been doing some thinking about old T'rat, and why there is a scanty amount of related material on this group. They are not well represented on the net, really. Their old site is still up, but has been static, and no one has added anything to it for over a decade.
                      Would you realise that in my entire life, I have only seen one colour photo of these guys! Most are black and white.
                     Though they have fans from all over the world, they only ever toured in Europe, and North America (mainly in the US, rarely in Canada).
                         I think  there were several strokes against the band.
                   1) Never having a worldwide hit single.
                   2) Hitting their stride commercially for a pretty short amount of time (Spartacus was in the top 30 in America, but not for very long) (The Hymm single was a hit in Germany but not for that long)
                   3) Their existing radio exposure was hit on the head by the changing face of FM radio in the mid-seventies
                   4) Helmut Koellen decides to leave the band at the end of 1975. Such an important and integral part of the group at that time.
                   5) On top of all that, Triumvirat, like other progressive rock groups, soon had to deal with the emergent punk and new wave focus in the music industry-suddenly something like Spartacus is definitely out of fashion.
                  6) A somewhat revolving door of subsequent musicians-the previously stable, workable lineup of Fritz-Koellen-Bathelt now permanently eludes them.
                  7) There is no tour for the 1976 album Old Loves Die Hard, despite  great new singer Barry Palmer.
                  8) Helmut Koellen dies on May 3rd, 1977. No North American tour for 1977's Pompeii album.
                  All of these things prevented the real Triumvirat from continuing their success.
   Fast forward to 2002, a new Triumvirat has a brand new album recorded, there is talk of a big tour, then the record company who are backing things goes bankrupt! And EMI wouldn't get involved with the new plans, apart from the 2002 remastered old Triumvirat albums.

Edited by presdoug - August 06 2015 at 12:32
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 12:53

Fast forward to 2002, a new Triumvirat has a brand new album recorded, there is talk of a big tour, then the record company who are backing things goes bankrupt! And EMI wouldn't get involved with the new plans, apart from the 2002 remastered old Triumvirat albums.                                                                        

I never did hear the 2002 album. How is it?
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 12:59
^I have only heard I think a couple of tracks, but it doesn't sound anything like the Triumvirat of old. It smacks of modern pop, in some ways, I am sorry to say.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 17:32

Been doing some thinking about old T'rat, and why there is a scanty amount of related material on this group. They are not well represented on the net, really. Their old site is still up, but has been static, and no one has added anything to it for over a decade.
                      Would you realise that in my entire life, I have only seen one colour photo of these guys! Most are black and white.
                     Though they have fans from all over the world, they only ever toured in Europe, and North America (mainly in the US, rarely in Canada).
                         I think  there were several strokes against the band.
                   1) Never having a hit single.
                   2) Hitting their stride commercially for a pretty short amount of time (Spartacus was in the top 30 in America, but not for very long) (The Hymm single was a hit in Germany but not for that long)
                   3) Their existing radio exposure was hit on the head by the changing face of FM radio in the mid-seventies
                   4) Helmut Koellen decides to leave the band at the end of 1975. Such an important and integral part of the group at that time.
                   5) On top of all that, Triumvirat, like other progressive rock groups, soon had to deal with the emergent punk and new wave focus in the music industry-suddenly something like Spartacus is definitely out of fashion.
                  6) A somewhat revolving door of subsequent musicians-the previously stable, workable lineup of Fritz-Koellen-Bathelt now permanently eludes them.
                  7) There is no tour for the 1976 album Old Loves Die Hard, despite  great new singer Barry Palmer.
                  8) Helmut Koellen dies on May 3rd, 1977. No North American tour for 1977's Pompeii album.
                  All of these things prevented the real Triumvirat from continuing their success.

Hey Doug it's really sad what you told about Triumvirat, I love their music too, an awesome band that should have had much more support along their career.

And I'm wondering if what you pointed out in the item 5) had pretty much to do with the item 2) about the radio stations commercial trend of constantly broadcasting the Top 30 or Top 50 etc. at those times, which maybe gradually mined away also quite a few other stunning prog rock bands and artists as well, who just could not afford to hit their stride commercially with hit singles that fit to the new music industry pattern of the mid-seventies FM radio stations, which of course fit perfectly to a massive extent of emergent punk and new wave bands of those times. Anyway, for me too Triumvirat definitely deserved to make many more tours and it's really disappointing to know this fate of theirs...

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 17:42
^hey, Ric, thanks for your words of understanding and empathy. 
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 16:06

I believe this to be the first performance of the band in North America. I've read that Ultrasonic Studios was a pretty professionally run place, so this should sound good!Thumbs Up
There is another unofficial Triumvirat live recording called Live Tour 1974-1975 which is on youtube claiming to have the complete New York Academy of Music concert but it is spliced with the latter half section of the Ultrasonics Mister Ten Percent suite recording, I know because the announcer is the same as the Ultrasonic recording  at the end. Makes me wonder if there exists a complete concert recording of the New York Academy Of Music show or if it always was spliced with the Ultrasonics recording?

Edited by presdoug - October 08 2014 at 16:15
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 10:57
There is a CD release that I saw for the first time recently, called "The Road To Nowhere". It turned out  to be just another bootleg of the Ultrasonics concert.

Edited by presdoug - February 22 2015 at 11:28
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 20:30
For the first time ever, I have seen reference to Triumvirat playing a concert in the UK. The date was April 18th, 1975, at the Wembley Empire Pool, London, opening for Grand Funk Railroad.
                 I remember Triumvirat singer Barry Palmer saying in a fairly recent interview that the band did not sell much in the UK.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>