Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHave You Seen Triumvirat Live?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 06:14
Add another for seeing them in LA with Fleetwood Mac and Jefferson Starship.  I didn't know their music at the time, and I was only 12 years old.  I also didn't live in LA, but I have family out there that I've spent a lot of time with (and that I've seen tons of concerts with).
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 10:36
^That's really cool! And welcome to PA.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 11:09
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

Add another for seeing them in LA with Fleetwood Mac and Jefferson Starship.  I didn't know their music at the time, and I was only 12 years old.  I also didn't live in LA, but I have family out there that I've spent a lot of time with (and that I've seen tons of concerts with).
Marvelous. Fleetwood Mac and Jefferson Starship as headliners. Sounds like slow death after the 'Rat stepped off the stage. And It would be interesting to know which album the lads from Germany were supporting at the time as both the Mac-sters (with Buckingham and Nicks) and Jefferson Starship were in full steam post-1975 (I'm assuming this was post-Bob Welch 'Mac)[I'm so confused.].
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 11:44
Rednight, I'm pretty sure it was late 1974 around Thanksgiving.  It was the Welch/Fleetwood/McVies lineup, after the release of Heroes Are Hard to Find.  So it was also just after the first Starship album, Dragon Fly, and after Illusions on a Double Dimple for Triumvirat.

I'm a fan of both Fleetwood Mac and Jefferson Airplane/Starship by the way.

Edited by Terrapin Station - July 23 2016 at 11:45
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 12:08
^^Guys, they were in LA at the Shrine Auditorium on November 29th, 1974 for that show.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 12:49
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

Rednight, I'm pretty sure it was late 1974 around Thanksgiving.  It was the Welch/Fleetwood/McVies lineup, after the release of Heroes Are Hard to Find.  So it was also just after the first Starship album, Dragon Fly, and after Illusions on a Double Dimple for Triumvirat.

I'm a fan of both Fleetwood Mac and Jefferson Airplane/Starship by the way.

Fleetwood Mac live with Mr. Welch (God rest his soul) would have been a station of the cross for me had my 14-year-old self been more aware of who was on tour at the time. Silly of me to consider the 'Rat opening for the post-'75 configuration of the Mac. Regardless, the show you witnessed must have been enchanting.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2016 at 08:03
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1974/10/11/all-that-glitters-pbobne-of-the/
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 19:07
Here is a project I created about the history of Triumvirat and just posted on youtube.

ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 00:28
^Doug, great video! Very informative and interesting. I really admire your dedication to the band. Well done! Smile
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 06:29
^Thanks very much, Tymon.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2016 at 12:52
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Well, well, well!
         For the first time in my life, on the net tonight, i saw a direct reference to a concert with Triumvirat in Canada.
 (I started a thread on Triumvirat in Canada, but it has been closed)
           The reference mentions Supertramp and Triumvirat -Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium, Calgary, Alberta, Canada for Tues. Aug. 5th, 1975.
              It does not mention who led in for who, and whether this concert actually did take place for certain.
        Anybody out there actually see the show?

Triumvirat in Canada was a reality. I checked the above reference recently, and someone signed up as having been to this Calgary concert so long ago. Makes me wonder if there were any other Canadian dates.
I heard recently from a very reliable source, that Triumvirat did indeed play Montreal.
August 16th, 1975, at The Forum in Montreal, opening for BTO. I think this, and Calgary on August 5th of that year, were the only Canadian dates the band ever played.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 05:20
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 18:34
Heard from someone that the Triumvirat simulcast took place with the PBS TV station in the Orlando Fl. area. I have e-mailed them about this to verify, and asked if the footage still exists, and if they will make it available, though I'm not holding my breath on this one.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2017 at 14:36
Where Helmut Koellen lived with his parents in Cologne, Germany.

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2017 at 14:44
Another photo of Helmut's home.

Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 06:49
Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

Maybe if Triumvirat had been teamed up with bands like Moody Blues,Genesis,Yes and the like,
instead of Lou Reed and Fleetwood Mac,they would have done a lot better.

What went  through the minds of promoters? I have a friend that saw Focus at the time of Hamburger Concerto opening for Lou Reed. He watched the Focus part and then took off. This thread reminds me of another similar band that might have never toured. Trace from Holland as well. There's a great German TV video on Youtube playing stuff from "Birds". I am pretty sure that Ekseption toured around Europe in the late 60s early 70s.

Too bad Triumvirat didn't get bigger but I suspect  that the reason was that they were on EMI and EMI had heavier hitters on their rosterl during the first half of the seventies. Just a theory. Interesting thread though..

Edited by Kepler62 - February 17 2017 at 06:57
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 11:09
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

Maybe if Triumvirat had been teamed up with bands like Moody Blues,Genesis,Yes and the like,
instead of Lou Reed and Fleetwood Mac,they would have done a lot better.

What went  through the minds of promoters? I have a friend that saw Focus at the time of Hamburger Concerto opening for Lou Reed. He watched the Focus part and then took off. This thread reminds me of another similar band that might have never toured. Trace from Holland as well. There's a great German TV video on Youtube playing stuff from "Birds". I am pretty sure that Ekseption toured around Europe in the late 60s early 70s.

Too bad Triumvirat didn't get bigger but I suspect  that the reason was that they were on EMI and EMI had heavier hitters on their rosterl during the first half of the seventies. Just a theory. Interesting thread though..
Hey, thanks. The list of odd group pairings with Triumvirat live goes on and on-Grand Funk, BTO, Jefferson Starship, Pavlov's Dog, ELO. Not to say those are not great groups, but Triumvirat's cerebral, at times classically inspired focus must have been a hard sell for the crowds of those other bands. Yeah, just what were the promoters thinking? And EMI? Probably busy focusing on "the big boys" like Pink Floyd.
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 00:00
Just watched the presentation. Talk about a fan. You even have a picture of one of the band members' House. Do you have the name of his goldfish? Just kidding Big smile. I guess there were a few bands who picked up on the Nice back in the sixties. I actually like the Nice more than ELP. The only place I could find any info on The Nice was Emerson's book, Pictures of an Exhibitionist right from the horses mouth. I first started listening to Triumvirat after I found Pomppeii in a bargain bin in Montreal when retail record stores still existed back in the seventies probably 1978 because it was my last year of high school. One thing that I always wondered about was that white mouse. I mean it was cool but I never understood the white mouse. 

Although I like the music a lot I think that they went off the deep end with the concepts. Sort of like the bass player at the end of Spinal Tap saying that they were planning a rock opera based on the life of Jack The RipperLOL. But hey, that was progressive rock in the seventies. Look at some of the stuff that Rick Wakeman came up with with The English Rock Ensemble as well as his solo albums. 

It's 2 AM and I'm blasting  Live at Ultrasonic Studios from '74 on Youtube  at eleven on the headphones. This when they were at the top of their game for sure. Bits of it sounds notoriously like ELP. A La Carte and Russian Roulette don't do anything for me. I guess they didn't do anything for the record company either.

Getting back to Triumvirat live. I think that I saw on some Hawkwind site that Triumvirat even opened for them on a few occasions in the US but can't remember the site.

Edited by Kepler62 - February 19 2017 at 00:12
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2017 at 08:46
Finally heard the "Road To Nowhere" CD, it is a Japanese pressing of the Ultrasonics Studios recording, and remastered, though still a boot, really. I did hear some things in the recording I had not before, though.

ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2017 at 10:19
Doug, thanks for all the great info and enthusiasm on Triumvirat.  This thread was a fun read!

I used to live in Germany back in the early 1990's.  A friend of ours was looking through our CD collection, and she said - you should talk to my friend Heiner, he owns a record store in Saarbrucken that sells all this kind of stuff - you and he would have fun talking.

So I rolled down to Saarbrucken to check out Heiner's store (called "Zoom").  I remember when I looked in the front window, he had LP covers from Magma, Nektar, and Triumvirat - front & center.  (It was Mediterranean Tales, Sounds Like This, and Hhai.)  I was like, "No Way!" and went in to check this miraculous place out.

We had a great talk on prog, and I ended up spending several hundred dollars on prog CDs.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>