Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Official 'review our music' forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFen - Trails out of Gloom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fen - Trails out of Gloom
    Posted: July 31 2010 at 12:53
Really cool, dark prog from the depths of the Canadian Forests.  Most commonly compared to Tool, Porcupine Tree, Anathema, and the cleaner moments of Opeth.

Please contact us for review, interview, etc at [email protected] or through the label website,

www.ripple-music.com

"Trails Out of Gloom is a hidden gem amongst the sometimes nonsensical world of progressive music. Fen are clearly masters at the complementary meshing of instruments. Trails Out of Gloom is a brilliantly composed album that sounds half way between the cleaner moments of Opeth and Anathema, whilst also retaining its own unique identity. Fen provide a delightful presentation of mellow and erudite prog." -- Power Play Magazine issue #121

"A rich and emotional ride into alternative heavy rock territories. A different type of heavy-- an emotional, dark, brooding heavy that evokes prime Alice in Chains and Tool with maybe a nod to bands such as Opeth and Anathema. Acoustic guitars pepper the whole album and add a beautiful counterpoint to the heavier moments such as tracks like "The World is Young" which switches from muscular despondency to delicate introspection. For every soaring vocal melody and ethereal guitar passage there is an equally heavy wall of doom waiting to explode. If this is prog it's prog in the classic sense where the song remains at the core of the sound over musical excess.  this is a remarkable album should you wish to remove yourself from your comfort zone and experience a different kind of heavy. Absorb it then listen again as repeated listens reveal the true depth here." -- Sleeping Shaman

toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 14:03

There is already a band called Fen. A black metal band no less.

There is also the small matter of getting you into the PA database. Please put out some MP3 samples here so the teams can evaluate Fen. 

But I have heard about you. I am a one man interview team and I would like to both do interviews and reviews. Please PM me for download links if you are offering that. 

.......... And another thing.......... You brand us "sometimes nonsensical". For your information: We NEVER make sense. NEVER !! 

shangchi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 14:27
Yep, we're aware of the black metal Fen.  Never heard them, but know they're out there.  They're from the UK, and this Fen is from Canada.    We'll be happy to get you the music, but my "nonsensical" mutant mind hasn't moved into the 2010's enough to know what PM means.  Please enlighten me.  Or if you don't mind emailing us at [email protected] we can send you the album.

Thanks for responding!
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 15:06
If you have anything you would like me to review, send me a copy or download link!
I am a Vancouverite myself.
Fen View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 23:19
Hi Toroddfug... & Conor and anyone else wanting to review Fen - Trails out of Gloom.

If the album turns out to be your thing, and you have any questions about it, feel free to email me here: ingrowth [at] fenmusic [dot] ca

I'll do my best to answer them.

Cheers,
Doug (vocals/guitar for Fen)
The Monodrone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2010 at 20:57
I don't have a finished review yet, but listen to the album; you'll be glad you did.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2010 at 21:09
Looking forward to giving the album a listen, Doug!!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 21:26
Very good music, is there anywhere you would like me to post a review? Or should I wait until Fen is cleared for ProgArchives?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 17:31
Any word on when the band's being added?
shangchi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 17:41
Thanks for asking.  Doug, the leader of Fen, has been working to on this.

We'll get it up shortly.

We're so excited, the album has been getting tremendous reviews.  Progressions Magazine just gave it a 16/16 rating.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 03:40
It's definately a great album. I'll have a review for it myself soon.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 19:34

Hailing locally from Vancouver, Canada, progressive hard rock group Fen has made a potent first step with their debut, 'Trails Out Of Gloom.' Sharing a name with another up and coming progressive act, there is no doubt that some people may confuse this band with the British black metal Fen. However, the Fen of Canada will no doubt appeal to a larger group beyond the confines of the metal and prog scenes. Tight, concise songwriting and a dynamic performance from frontman Doug Harrison and company makes for a surprisingly professional product.

From the subtle first few moments of the title track, a few things are already evident about the band. First off and most clear from the beginning are the vocals of Doug Harrison himself. With an incredibly dynamic voice delivering strong melodies, Doug is usually at the forefront of the mix, and it is clear that he is the creative force behind the band. This statement does not however, seek to undermine the talents of the other musicians, who all evidently contribute something to the mix. Joining Harrison on guitar is Sam Levin, who shares some effective and melodic guitar work on the album. In terms of the guitar work itself, it never indulges itself too much; always preferring to support the song itself. While this makes the strong songwriting stand out all the more, it sometimes feels like an occasional burst of technicality would do well to spice up the music and keep the listener on their feet. That is of course however, a mere personal preference.

The rhythm section consists of Mike Southworth and Mike Young as percussionist and bassist respectively. While neither of these musicians get a real chance to stand out in the context of the song, both hold up their part admirably, and do well to contribute their skill to the songs. In terms of the band's overall sound, comparisons to legends such as Porcupine Tree and Tool are not out of place; the band obviously hasn't completely found it's own sound yet, although it does seem to be making progress towards becoming a unique hard rock act. Having opened up for Tool tribute band at one point, it's clear that this group will share a fanbase with that band, although the music of Fen is much closer to the ground and personal in nature. Barring that, anyone with a penchant for charming acoustic work, tight songwriting and some bluesy licks thrown in here and there should find enjoyment with the warm journey that is 'Trails Out Of Gloom.'

Fen doesn't completely distinguish itself from the legions of other progressive hard rock acts with this first album, but it definately sets the stage for what is sure to be an illustrious career, should the band continue with their exploits... A commendable album.

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2011 at 00:34
sending out for one of these Cds too - sounds wonderful Conor!
 Post Reply Post Reply