Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedArsenal (Russia)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arsenal (Russia)
    Posted: July 31 2010 at 15:10
From sources I've read, this is the USSR's biggest name jazz-rock and progressive rock band, but I didn't find it in PA. Not to be confused with Belgium's Arsenal. I don't even habve any albums, but perhaps others are familiar.

The first track I have a link to is a good acid-oriented/ electronicy track. The second I have from the same album is not so convincing for PA,, nor is the third (which reminds me of some Vangelis). Certainly sounds like a smooth-jazz, New Age oriented band.  That third track gets more up-beat and not in a positive for PA sort of way.

From rateyourmusic:
http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%81%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%BB

albums.push('bioaka');albums.push('biogenre');albums.push('biocountries');
Related ArtistsКвадро
Also Known AsArsenal
GenresJazz-Rock, Jazz Fusion
Popular InRussian Federation
Link

shortcut: [Artist58142] | [Edit profile]
discography
<< hide Album
albums.push('tr283081');albums.push('tr245904');albums.push('tr678574');albums.push('tr766398');albums.push('tr662322');albums.push('tr665705');albums.push('tr672465');albums.push('tr245906');albums.push('tr433916');albums.push('tr433918');albums.push('tr433919');albums.push('tr601928');albums.push('tr366671');albums.push('tr433917');
Released Title Cat# Reviews Ratings Chart [?] Overall
1979 Arsenal 2 issues 1 22

rate
1982 Своими руками (Created with Their Own Hands) 2 issues 1 16

rate
1986 Второе дыхание [Second Wind] С60 23369 002  1 3

rate
1986 Пульс 3 [Pulse 3] C60 23883 006  2 5

rate
1989 Арсенал 5 [Arsenal 5] 2 issues

rate
1990 Арсенал 6 [Arsenal 6]  

rate
2000 Live в клубе Форте [Live at the Forte Club]  

rate
2000 Pulse Vol III & Second Wind  

rate
2005 A Dangerous Game   1 4

rate
2005 Nostalgie  

rate
2005 On Air  

rate
2005 Underground Arsenal  

rate
2005 Unknown Arsenal (2CD)  

rate
2005 ...With Our Own Hands  

rate
<< hide Compilation
albums.push('tr670998');albums.push('tr245903');albums.push('tr245905');albums.push('tr2170544');albums.push('tr583321');
1981 Appears on: Дискоклуб 2(2). Джазовая музыка [Discoclub 2(2). Jazz Music] [Various Artists] C60-16111-12 

rate
1998 Опаленные временем - I  

rate
1998 Опаленные временем - IV  

rate
2004 Appears on: Музыка для мозгов [Various Artists] CDSAV04027 

rate
2005 Живая вода  

rate
<< hide Bootleg / Unauthorized
albums.push('tr290720');
2003 Unknown Arsenal 1978-1980  

rate
<< hide Video
albums.push('tr591172');albums.push('tr2491837');
2005 Опалённые временем. Юбилейный концерт  

rate
2007 Своя Игра  

rate

http://www.progressor.net/review/arsenal_overall.html

Originally posted by Vm from Progressor Vm from Progressor wrote:

Part I: 1980/2000 - "Arsenal" ******

Tracklist:

Dangerous Game 13:29
(A. Kozlov)
The Tree 8:53
(Yu. Saulsky)
Suitein a Flat Major 12:00
(A. Kozlov, lyrics by Rasul Gamzatov)
Ivory Tower 10:07
(A. Kozlov)
The Lost Song 9:43
(A. Kozlov - on the theme of Russian folk song)
Ragtime 7:47
(A. Kozlov)
Genesis 7:54
(A. Kozlov)
Gavotte And March 5:26
(S. Prokofiev, arranged by A. Kozlov)

Line-up: Alexey Kozlov - alto & soprano saxophones; Igor Saulsky - piano, electric organ; Vyatcheslav Gorsky - piano, keyboards; Vitaliy Rosenburgh -electric guitars; Victor Zaikin - bass (tracks 1,2,3,4,7); Anatoli Kulikov - bass (tracks 5,6,8); Anatoli Sizonov - trumpet; Eugeny Pan - trumpet; Boris Kuznetsov - trumpet; Vadim Akhmetgareyev - trombone; Valery Taushan - trombone; Alexander Gorobetz - trombone; Stanislav Korosteliov - drums; Vasily Izyumtchenko - drums

Guest vocalists on track 3: Mehrdad Badi and Tamara Kvirkvelia.

Prologue. Arsenal is undoubtedly the most significant phenomena within the Progressive Rock movement in the USSR / C.I.S. where there's no other band of the genre with such an array of released (let alone the unreleased ones!) material. Arsenal's discography contains no less than ten full-fledged LPs and almost all of them are presented on 5 CDs I'm going to tell you about. Arsenal, however, has some more original material recorded mainly during their live performances in different countries and years. Partly those tracks are included in a series of 4 CDs released by "Boheme Music", but some of these recordings have been irretrievably lost. Arsenal's debut self-titled studio album was recorded in Riga in 1977 during their Latvian tour, but the only Soviet "Melodiya" label released the "Arsenal" LP only in 1980 and solely thanks to the help of the truly progressive Soviet composer Yuri Saulsky. Additional tracks presented on this CD together with the Arsenal debut LP's tracks (1-4) were recorded in 1978-1979 mainly in Moscow.

The album. All the four compositions from Arsenal's debut LP, including even a piece with vocals, represents an absolutely unique 'progressive formula': this is a really innovative mixture of structures typical for Classical Music, complex arrangements of truly Progressive Rock and some improvisational 'details' obviously related to the Classic Jazz Fusion genre. Despite the presence of lots of the wind instruments there is a little of 'jazzy spirit' in these pieces. Prolonged in conformity with the unwritten laws of serious Progressive Rock (and Classical Music too, though) such instrumentals as Dangerous Game, The Tree and Ivory Tower are really wonderful musical works and each of them has a distinct classical feel. But, constant changes of themes and tempos, rises to a powerful playing of all the band's musicians together and falls into the very quiet 'spacey' musical spaces, full of mysterious and as if unearthly sounds, are typical rather for some classic 'side-long' pieces of the Progressive Rock genre. Arsenal, however, was the very first (and remains the only to this day) band to create such musical forms using quite an 'unusual' instrumental base with trumpets, trombones, etc as lead and main soloing instruments. Three more songs on the album have practically the same structures. These are Ragtime, Genesis and Gavotte And March, and a direct addressing to such a well-known classical piece as the latter with the following arranging it in the spirit of Progressive Rock was a wise decision regarding the album as a whole. Vocals based Suite in a Flat Major and The Last Song, an adaptation of Russian folk song, of course, both sound a bit differently in comparison with the other tracks here, but their instrumental parts are very close to the aforementioned "mixed" structures. So, on the whole this 77-minute CD has a very monolithic, practically conceptual overall sounding.

Summary. First, here's an important note. Early compositions of Arsenal, particularly those included in the first CD and described here, are probably the most complex and mind-blowing works Arsenal ever created. It's necessary to listen repeatedly to this CD to be able to comprehend its wonderful nature and get great pleasure with each new listening. A pure narcotic… sorry, masterpiece! However, we musical addicts (moreover, progressive music addicts), who have this brilliant passion, are perhaps healthier than those with no passions at all, especially men.

VM. December 3, 2000

Part II: 1982/2000 - "Created with Their Own Hands" ******

Tracklist:

Mystery 7:49
(A.Kozlov)
A Dedication to Maha Vishnu 9:08
(A.Kozlov)
Lighton the way 6:31
(A.Kozlov)
Hubble-Bubble 4:24
(Mark Colby, arranged by A.Kozlov)
Electric Dreams 4:40
(John MacLaughlin)
Fromthe Second Piano Concert of S. Rakhmaninov 11:17
(arr. by A.Kozlov)
Foxtrot 6:07
(Palle Mickelborg, arr. by A.Kozlov)
Shadowof the Past 7:16
(V.Zintchuk)
Tandem
(V.Gorsky)
SuiteIn F Minor
(A.Kozlov)

Line-up: Alexey Kozlov - synthesizer, alto-sax; Vyatcheslav Gorsky - grand piano, keyboards; Victor Zintchuk - electric & acoustic guitars; Vitaliy Rosenburgh - electric guitar, sitar; Anatoli Kulikov - bass guitar; Valery Brusilovsky - drums; Valentin Diomin - percussion

Another absolute masterpiece from the USSR's leading progressive band and another unique jewel for the arsenals of Progressive Rock. "Created with Their Own Hands", unlike its predecessor, so greatly influenced by Classical Music, is a work of pure Classic Jazz fusion genre. Stylistically (only!) created in the same vein as Mahavishnu Orchestra or Return To Forever, Arsenal's second album, however, has no other similarities with the music of these Titans of the '70s nor with any other band from the first to the last note. What is more, I would say, "Created with Their Own Hands" represents a sort of stylistic quintessence of both previously mentioned Titans taken together. On an album such as this you'll find every possible spectrum of the so called Prog-Fusion genre. Some pieces contain speedy, often really violent playing with cascades of mind-blowing, very diverse arrangements, changes of themes and tempos, time signatures, passionate soloing and interplays among the lead instrumentalists. Some others are performed in mid-tempo with a lot of gentle, colourful passages that bring a distinct Eastern flavour, and some of which are obviously influenced particularly by Indian music. Long, perfectly complex and virtuosic passages like stories full of wonderful events are rendered by Victor Zintchuk's strings of acoustic guitar on Shadow of the Past. The musical world of "Created with Their Own Hands" is extremely diverse in a musical sense, but at the same time these separate and so diverse compositions actually are just parts of one beautiful picture "Created with Their Own Hands".

VM. December 5, 2000

Part III: 1984&1985/2000 - "Pulse & Second Wind" *****

Tracklist:

Second Wind 10:44
Constellationof Leo 5:46
Forgiveness 5:41
Funky-Charleston 5:08
Provincial Tango 3:42
Invasion/Enigmatic Dream 12:06
Relay Race 4:08
Rondo 4:29
Holiday 2:15
Photo-Robot 3:22
Russian Epic 5:21
Manipulator 2:45
Electronic Barrel-Organ 2:43
Mannequin 4:05
Nostalgia 4:42

All pieces composed and arranged by Alexey Kozlov.

Line-up: Alexey Kozlov - alto & soprano saxophones, synthesizers; Vadim Lotkin - keyboards; Vitaliy Rosenburgh - electric guitars; Valentin Liozov - bass guitars, accordion (track 5); Victor Sigal - drums; Valery Diomin - percussion; Alexander Beliaev - keyboards; Andrey Vinogradov - keyboards; Michail Alperin - piano (tracks 2,3,4,5); Simon Shirman - tenor sax (tracks 1,4,5), soprano sax (tracks 1,4), violin (track 3); Nikolay Karsaulidze - drums (tracks 6-13); Sergey Katin - bass guitars (tracks 6-13); Ivan Smirnov - electric guitars (tracks 6-13); Andrey Baturin - electric guitars (tracks 6-13)

Alexey Kozlov and his unique brain-child Arsenal have won the first mass acclaim with their slightly eclectic yet very tasteful mixture of Classic / Neo Jazz Fusion / Art Rock presented on the band's third and fourth LPs "Pulse" and "Second Wind". Actually both these albums contain very original, colourful and bright instrumental pieces with distinct melody lines and relatively accessible arrangements, so that Arsenal's music in the mid '80s could be generally described as wonderful jazzy Art Rock with sense of humor. Unlike their two previous albums, most notably their debut, the music on this CD sounds distinctly 'modern', and Alexey Kozlov himself plays here mostly electronic keyboards, whereas his major instrument alto saxophone doesn't sound quite as often as usual. With these albums Arsenal musicians showed their truly brilliant ability to build such musical forms that will always keep on enchanting really vast masses of progressive music lovers from all over. Highly recommended to all those into accessible melodic forms of both Art Rock and Jazz Fusion genres, as well as to the majority of the experienced, true connoisseurs of these two from the three "whales" on which Progressive Rock reposes … Finally, Relay Race is a mind-blowing fantastic thing. This is not just the best Jazz Fusion composition I ever heard, but IMHO, Relay Race is the Queen of all Gems ever created within the genre.

VM. December 8, 2000

Part V: 1990/2000 - "Scorched by the Wind" ****+

Tracklist:

Heavenly Voice 3:19
Gonewith the Wind 5:09
Silver-Blues 8:03
No More Tears 5:32
Prologue 6:44
Envy 10:31
Man from Jamaica 5:42
Gigantic Footprints 7:53
Young Girl is Gone 3:50
The World is a Cramped Place 8:59
The Dnepr is a Wonderful River 6:13

All pieces composed and arranged by Alexey Kozlov (except 9: trad., arr. by A.K.)

Line-up: Alexey Kozlov - alto saxophone, synthesizers; Andrey Denisov - keyboards; Andrey Vinogradov - keyboards; Ivan Smirnov - electric guitars; Anatoli Kulikov - bass guitars; Alexey Gagarin - drums; Valery Diomin - percussion; Alexander Pishchikov - tenor sax; Igor Javad-Zade - drums (tracks 3,10); Pavel Grigoriev - tenor saxophone (track 11)

The fourth and last CD of the Arsenal musical legacy released by "Boheme Music" (except Arsenal's "V" and "VI" albums-LPs that have been released as a double CD on "Melodiya" in 1991: see Arsenal -Part IV of an Overall View). This CD contains probably the most accessible and melodious music the band ever performed. However, each composition here composed and arranged by Alexey Kozlov was played by the band so masterfully that it would be impossible to call to mind any other album of the Neo Jazz Rock genre created with such a wonderful "formula" as traditional melodic Funk'n'Fusion that is yet raised to the power of this marvelous, on the edge of the artistic, while extremely tasteful way of performing, with. a unique 'scheme' of the 'construction' of the album when each composition sounds differently from the others. So, you'll not be disappointed in purchasing this series - the Anthology of one of the most innovative Jazz Fusion bands of all time. You can check out Arsenal's Bio on the "Boheme Music" official web-site at: http://www.bohememusic.com and order CDs via e-mail to: [email protected].

VM. December 10, 2000

I see that Arsenal has been mentioned in a topic before at PA by NotaProghead: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25100&PID=2040053#2040053

Anyway, even though I only found that first track I listed convincing for PA from what little I've heard, I still though I'd mention it here.

Here's a quote from White Raven at http://www.discomusic.com/forums/showthread.php/29158-Back-In-USSR-vol.7-VESJOLYE-REBJATA?s=c4980b6dab15613d70d8b594bc391927&p=145442#post145442 (yes, discomusic.com):

Quote Some words about cosmic-style playing… I remember about one Soviet project called “ARSENAL” in early 80’s up to the middle of the 80’s it played something near to cosmic-style, something near to KRAFTWERK from Western Germany, TELEX from Belgium, ROCKETS from France and YELLOW MAGIC ORCHESTRA from Japan. The records were very-very rare, it was a brave avant from electropop to wide electronics. I remember that I have somewhere in my stock that old vinyl, but no any those LP’s and magnetic bands are remastered to “digital” up to this time. “ARSENAL” was the band of experiments and played in different manners (electronics, pock, jazz) and music directions during all its career, I’m not sure (don’t remember now) is that vinyl, that I have, sounding in “electronics” but, I’ll try to find it at my home to answer to You. May be I’ll make it’s remastering and restoration by myself, but can’t promise that I’ll make it now and rapid because it’s not a simple and standard thing to any vinyl, of course, if I want not only to save but to rise up the quality of the record too...

Can't really judge based on three tracks (two of which I find unconvincing, but there is probably more appropraite music off albums), but hopefully others will chime in who know the band much better than I.

Edited by Logan - July 31 2010 at 15:18
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Zebedee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 15:25
Great band and definitely prog enough to be included in PA if you ask me. 

Thanks for the suggestion Thumbs Up

Friendship is like wetting your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel its warmth.
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 16:00
Arsenal is first ever Russian jazz-fusion band. Their earlier works are really progressive and quite experimental, and they are extremely important to all later Russian jazz-fusion artists.Starting from late 70-s, they were strongly influenced by break -dance/hip-hop culture and changed their style radically. Later they returned to more pop-jazz. Their leader Alexey Kozlov played solo and with his own band. They are still active and it looks in their most recent works they try to return to a bit more fusion sound of their earlier works. I own some their early albums, and in places their music is really great.I saw them live in late 70-s and it was one of the big shock (they played extremely innovative for the time hip-hop program with some theatrical show).

I believe they should be added to PA because of their earlier albums, but the problem is there are not many (public) samples from that time could be presented for evaluation
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 09:25
I also think ARSENAL should be on PA.

Some more samples:

Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 07:35
^ Excellent samples, they sound like a clear case for JRF. Thanks Slava for bringing the suggestion to the team Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 06:04
Is the band under evaluation by JRF team?
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 06:37
^ Yes. Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 08:05
If ARSENAL will be added on PA I and (I hope) snobb will help with the bio.
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2010 at 09:24
Arsenal is cleared for addition by JRF team, Eugene - will you prepare their bio?

Edited by snobb - August 06 2010 at 09:25
Zebedee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2010 at 10:58
Great news Clap

Friendship is like wetting your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel its warmth.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2010 at 12:28
The one I expressed qualms about got in so fast LOL (of course I wasn't very familiar with the band, but I came across that first youtube track when searching youtube and thought it good enough to explore).  Good job, and thanks for all of the comments.

Edited by Logan - August 06 2010 at 12:28
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2010 at 16:15
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Arsenal is cleared for addition by JRF team, Eugene - will you prepare their bio?
Sure, Slava. I've started it.
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2010 at 16:21
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Sure, Slava. I've started it.

Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2014 at 19:45
Folks,

None of my business, but the B3 title (*Манекен*) on the Second Wind should be either 'Mannequin', or 'Dummy', depending on the context (and/or on how sophisticated you want it to sound) Geek   

apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2014 at 01:09
corrected, i went for the sophisticated version Wink, thanks!
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace...

listen to www.justincaseradio.com , the first ever Greek Progressive Rock radio
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2014 at 07:54
LP cover had no translations. On CD "Nostalgie" it was translated as "A Model". Obviously "Mannequin" is the closest to "Манекен".

I have to say that translations on Arsenal CDs released by different labels sometimes differ.
 Post Reply Post Reply