1 [5.56%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lawrence of Arabia vs Dr Zhivago
    Posted: July 31 2010 at 20:17
i have only seen LoA not Dr Zhivago ( but hopely I will do soe), but after what ive seen In Lawrence of Arabia i have great ecsp, to my view LoA is such a great movie, i was almoust hit to the ground by amazement by that film, such epic film with enormous score. great acting.

I saw that Casablanca thread and wanted to make a poll about two of the great epics (which two make Avatar crumble in fear and gasping for air)

which of thiese two DO you like
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 20:22
I also didn't see Dr. Zhivago, but Lawrence of Arabia was great. I wanted to see it because I read Spielberg saying it's one of his fundamental sources of inspiration.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 20:27
^defenitly Spielberg have seen Lawrence hundrets of times (also Coppola, Scorcese and Lukas) and you can hear it in the movie scores as well and the "epic" feel, and the use of quietness.
CinemaZebra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 20:32
I've seen Dr Zhivago and it's slow, overrated, and boring. It's directed and acted well, but that can't save the dull script.

But then again, I think the same with Lawrence of Arabia, so don't trust my opinion. Tongue
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 20:44
^i know what you mean, nd I know where you are from, i was afraid LoA was to slow to mee in pace, but ass I said I was hit to the ground by the combination of story, script, acting, dramatourlogy, landscape, music, overall exietment and that it was unexpected events (i also liked that it is based on "something" which make it easyer to make a Screenplay.

I most of the time anoys myself by liking films that could have been great if they have spend a tad more time on script/screenwright, i like films like Marval comics and epic movies, vampire frenchise movies (like Blade, Underworld and Blood: the Last Vampire, the new era, some have good scripts but mostly it feels rushed,

like X-men 3, number 1 and 2 was brilliant and then on numbr, 3 they killed of everything and made a big untasty soup out of which sequal could be great.

what I recognices about the 60s films is that they are focused on all parts of film production, 1, Direction, Theme, Plot, 2. Production, money, time 3, acting, 4 SCREENWRIGHT, 4. CLASS, 5. style and it was seen as an art form
CinemaZebra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 20:50
I voted "other" for three reasons:

1. Brief Encounter
2. Great Expectations
3. The Bridge on the River Kwai

All of these individually would kill LoA and Dr Z combined in my opinion.
The Monodrone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2010 at 21:37
Lawrence of Arabia is simply one of the best delivered epics I've ever seen.  I won't vote as I haven't seen Dr Zhivago yet.

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 07:35
I like them both a lot. It's not an easy choice.

Oh well, Lawrence Of Arabia, because of the wonderful shots. Film shots, not gun shots Smile

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 09:24
oh man... Doctor Zhivago.  What a movie...

' Feelings, insights, affections... it's suddenly trivial now. You don't agree; you're wrong. The personal life is dead in Russia. History has killed it.'
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 12:41
Originally posted by CinemaZebra CinemaZebra wrote:

I've seen Dr Zhivago and it's slow, overrated, and boring. It's directed and acted well, but that can't save the dull script.

But then again, I think the same with Lawrence of Arabia, so don't trust my opinion. Tongue

Bravo. Hated Lawrence of Arabia. I don't really understand what the appeal is from a mere audience standpoint. I can certainly see why it has inspired filmmakers from a technical perspective, but it's not entertaining to me, and that's what I look for in movies. To be entertained. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 12:46
^ Well, film (like all arts) is not only about entertainment, and entertainment is not the only thing many film fans want to get. Which is fine, as long as we don't use the wrong criteria for the wrong movie. Smile
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 13:24
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

^ Well, film (like all arts) is not only about entertainment, and entertainment is not the only thing many film fans want to get. Which is fine, as long as we don't use the wrong criteria for the wrong movie. Smile

Well, of course, but should entertainment still be a part of it? I mean, if a film is beautifully shot or scored, yeah, that's impressive, if the story keeps the movie from being any fun to watch, what do those bells and whistles amount to?

I want to enjoy the story first, then the additional stuff can be admired. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 13:31
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

Well, of course, but should entertainment still be a part of it?

Yes and no, depends on the film. In the case of Lawrence of Arabia entertainment is definitely a factor, though not the only one - like in the case of blockbusters or teen comedies (just two examples). I was definitely entertained by this film, despite its slow pace, and I think that the general acclaim it gets shows that I'm not the only one. So it probably is just a matter of de gustibus...
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 13:46

Yes and no, depends on the film. In the case of Lawrence of Arabia entertainment is definitely a factor, though not the only one - like in the case of blockbusters or teen comedies (just two examples). I was definitely entertained by this film, despite its slow pace, and I think that the general acclaim it gets shows that I'm not the only one. So it probably is just a matter of de gustibus...

Not my point. At all.

2012 had amazing special effects (apparently, anyway. I didn't see it, and probably never will). But most people still hated it because the story was crap. 

If a movie is not entertaining in the least, then nothing can save it. That's what I'm saying. Entertainment doesn't have to be the only factor, but it should be a factor, nonetheless. 
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 15:07
Lawrence for sure.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 17:26

Not my point. At all.

2012 had amazing special effects (apparently, anyway. I didn't see it, and probably never will). But most people still hated it because the story was crap. 

If a movie is not entertaining in the least, then nothing can save it. That's what I'm saying. Entertainment doesn't have to be the only factor, but it should be a factor, nonetheless. 

Yeap we are using the notion of "entertainment" in different ways. But leaving that, I am sure that the people who liked Lawrence of Arabia were entertained by it, in any sense of the notion. Smile
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 17:30

Not my point. At all.

Yeap we are using the notion of "entertainment" in different ways. But leaving that, I am sure that the people who liked Lawrence of Arabia were entertained by it, in any sense of the notion. Smile

What? You either like something, or you don't. If I don't like something, then I don't consider it 'good'. I didn't like Lawrence of Arabia, so I don't consider it good. That's all I'm saying, haha. 

But many people do consider it good, so I'm in the minority. Wink
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 18:56
ehhhh...  they were movies from another era.  Made for movie goers with attention spans longer than those of a mouse I suppose.  That is a time long past.. today's audiences apparently don't want something that touches them.. or makes them think... it's about gratification.

judging those movies on entertainment value is like judging VDGG on it's snappiness and ability to make you shake your ass.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 19:27
^ I can shake my ass on VdGG's "Tarzan". 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 19:35
*forgot I am on a prog site ..and have shaken my ass many a time to Close to the Edge" LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>