Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Plastic people of The Universe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Plastic people of The Universe
    Posted: August 05 2010 at 16:20

This band deserves a lot more attention then it has here on this site.There are so many articles about them on the internet,you should read them to find out why I think that way.Then you should perhaps listen to their music.I am recommending no.1 Egon Bondy's Happy Hearts Club Banned and then the  others like Passion Play with Agon Orchestra,Kolejnice duní or some more accessible Hovezi porazka or Pulnoční myš.
Nice article with youtube video on the end with Tom Stoppard speaking http://gigs.southbankcentre.co.uk/2010/01/13/upcoming-gig-the-story-of-the-plastic-people-of-the-universe/
Here you can purchase excellent double cd Anthology http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Products/Plastic-People-Of-The-Universe---Magical-Nights-2-x-CDs__05-MR-spc-294CD.aspx
other articles http://skronkadelic.wordpress.com/2008/11/05/the-ny-sun-files-plastic-people-of-the-universe/

Czech Republic: Rock ‘n Roll Revolution or How a Psychedelic Rock Band Freed a Country from the Tyranny of Communism":

http://bygonebureau.com/2007/12/07/czech-republic-rock-%E2%80%98n-roll-revolution-or-how-a-psychedelic-rock-band-freed-a-country-from-the-tyranny-of-communism/

This is an artifact from that era(M.Hlavsa is performing in some other project called DG307)

And one PPU's song from an album ''Hovezí porážka''

My heroes are Frank Zappa,Ozzy Osbourne,The Plastic People of the Universe,Sun Ra and Mirek Wanek from Uz jsme doma
zappadaddy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2010 at 17:12
My heroes are Frank Zappa,Ozzy Osbourne,The Plastic People of the Universe,Sun Ra and Mirek Wanek from Uz jsme doma
happythe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 16:18
I love them! I saw them play in Prague in 2006 and was quite enchanted :)
(Also, I see you like Už jsme doma, cool ;) )

Thanks for the links, I'm going to check them out now.
Stop me from dreaming?
Okay :-(
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 18:52

This was one of the first bands I added to the Archives several years ago.  I was first introduced to them via a magazine article from the early 80s and have been a big fan ever since.  Glad to finally hear from other fans! Thumbs Up

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 19:10

They were the ones who were most persecuted as far as I know. They were the biggest "enemy" band by government, right ?

Poslouchal jsi Pravdivý příběh Plastic People ? Četl jsi Bez ohňů underground ? Asi jo, co ?

Well, these two materials are great source of information. Except they're in Czech (sigh). But the link you gave us here is full of information too, even not so thorough.

If you can promote them by threads here, by talking about them and most importantly - by making reviews, I'll be glad.

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 03:36

One comment from some youtube users:

they are honestly raw without any sweet balast sh*t, it shows you what is behind selfish happines, if you know then you can be happy, honest and then you really care, that is reason why who don,t understand them, don,t like them - Completly oposite to consumption society

If it breaking you than you feel remorse. It is simple.

These guys are amazing.Can you imagine to play music without no support from fans,no rewards of any kind,no fame,instead you get harassed by the police?And furthermore keep playing  at homes or small places for just few best friends for many years.One has to realize the circuimstances to fully understand the purpose of their existence,to fully appreciate their music and to admire their intestinal fortitude.Yes to my knowledge The PPU   were the most persecuted rock band in the history of music!!!Lou Reed,Gary Lucas and Frank Zappa were talking about them very admirably and favoribly.

Very interesting file

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 03:47
great original full video clip Zacpa starts at 3.47 
GY!BE View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 13:56
Never heard of them...but I will DEFINITLY try it.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 16:48
I had Autobahn since before I was a prog fan.  I've really never considered them prog until I saw them on this site.  I'm still not so sure...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2010 at 04:05
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I had Autobahn since before I was a prog fan.  I've really never considered them prog until I saw them on this site.  I'm still not so sure...

Autobahn is from Kraftwerk.Or where are you heading?
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 07:00
Awesome remake of Passion Play with Agon Ensemle.For lovers of Universe zero and Present!!!
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 07:06
brand new release with AGON ENSEMBLE,amazing and emotional work!!!For fans of RIO.

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 13:03
I purchased a DVD which contains all of their recordings, and I've really enjoyed it.  I do need to pull all the albums off into more useable audio files, though.

And Clem, I really thank you for your reviews of the band.  They encouraged me to pursue the purchase.  Hug
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Rottenhat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2010 at 13:27
Funny this. In one country we had Henry Cow promoting Communism, and being controversial, in another country we have The Plastic People of the Universe rallying agains communism, and being even more controversial. Confusing, isn't it...

Language is a virus from outer space.

-William S. Burroughs
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2010 at 13:43
I like this band. I saw them not long ago live in Berlin (Germany) and it was awesome.
This is not a political thread but I like to add that the persecution of this band led to the founding of the civil rights movement 'Charter 77', one of the important oppositional movements in Eastern Europe of the 70ies.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2010 at 14:24
Originally posted by Rottenhat Rottenhat wrote:

Funny this. In one country we had Henry Cow promoting Communism, and being controversial, in another country we have The Plastic People of the Universe rallying agains communism, and being even more controversial. Confusing, isn't it...

They did not rally against comunism,they just ignored it and that's what pissed them off.Even now they ignore the system,they just do their thing.Love them for it.

Edited by zappadaddy - September 03 2010 at 14:25
Rottenhat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 00:03
OK, zappadaddy, that it probably true :) Anyway, great band, even If I have only heard a couple of treir tracks. I have to get my dirty hands on some of their CD's some day..

Edited by Rottenhat - September 04 2010 at 00:04
Language is a virus from outer space.

-William S. Burroughs
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2010 at 07:35

Post Reply Post Reply