FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProggin' in communism: Prog in ex-Yugoslavia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2010 at 04:23

-----------------------------------Special Post-------------------------------

This post has been made to introduce you to the works of , in my humble opinion, the greatest guitarist in former Yugoslavia: Radomir Mihaijlovic “Tocak”! (Yes I know I wrote his name without a “j”, you can clearly see how stupid I am)

Name: Radomir Mihaijlovic “Tocak” (The wheel)

Date of Birth: 13th June 1950

Genres: Blues, blues-rock, jazz, jazz/fusion, experimental rock, progressive rock

Instruments: Various string instruments

Current member of: “Smak”

Former member of: “Deca sa Morave” “TEK”

Discography:

R.M. Tocak (1976)
Vizantijsko plavo (Byzantine blue) (1993)

Radomir Mihaijlovic was, and still is, one of the most influential guitarists in ex- Yugoslavia.

His nickname “Tocak” (The wheel) can be associated with his tattoo of a wheel on his left hand, which was insired by his father who was a wheelmaker. “Tocak” is best known for his emotional playing and unique picking style, which has some similarities with the classical picking style, usually performing without a pic. He is also the leader and main composer of Smak (go to first post to see some of their work).

Radomir Mihaijlovic doing what he does best:

In his solo career he has released 2 albums “R.M Tocan” and “Vizantijsko plavo” which have received positive reviews (with reviews also on progarchives thanks go to Seyo and clarke2001!)

R.M Tocak:

With a great diversity of style, this album provides a bluesy version of progressive rock with a little jazz sprinkled on top.

This album was a creativity outlet, as many musicians do, outside their bands respectively (Steve Hackett and Ian Anderson to name just a few). A highly enjoyable instrumental album that features the first version of “Organizam blues”, which was later released in Smaks album “Bioskop fox” (with lyrics) in 1995.

Oro:

Svrabez:

Vizantijsko plavo:

A fantastic blues album written for the movie “Byzantine blue” in 1993

Ukor (Blame):

TEK:

Radomir Mihaijlovic founded the band “TEK” with fellow Smak members Milan "Miki" Milosavljevic and Slobodan "Kepa" Stojanovic

Hit the road Jack (cover):

The wheel today:

Tocak has opened his own guitar school, focusing primarily on Blues, Jazz and classical music.

Luckily I happen to know a person who was his student, and says even though he looks cold on the exterior, he is a very friendly and open person with an amazing teaching skill.

His daughter Sofija Mihaijlovic specialized in classical guitar and is seen as somewhat of a virtuoso in the modern classical scene of Serbia.

Here is a video one of his students made in 2008; you can clearly see Mihaijlovics unique picking style (as well as a frightened Rottweiler)

In the following interview famous Croatian musician Dado Topic (who worked with R.M Tocak on some occasions) tells us his thoughts about Tocak.

More or less precisely translated:

“He is Magic and the nightmare of guitarists. In the logic of an imperative, to show they are skilled with the guitar they tried to prove themselves by interpreting songs by Eric Clapton and Hendrix and other great guitarists but it’s is also a must to play songs by Smak. It is possible to cover his songs yet no one can play like Tocak”

Hope you enjoyed this special post and I promise that I will get back to work on the prog bands.

Edited by Weirdamigo - August 12 2010 at 07:25
ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 12:10
My fav Točak's  instrumental (solo LP) - "MODIFANS" (1976), a really great hard fusion track (listen it loud!) 

...followed by>

Edited by ko - August 14 2010 at 12:42
Weirdamigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2010 at 04:50
Hehe Tocak can really be seen as Yugoslavias Jimi Hendrix LOL.

Sorry I haven't posted much lately but I promise I will get something up by Monday. Steve Hackett is coming today to Serbia for a free concert and that is just an event one cannot afford to miss.
ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 11:21
AWESOME!
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 12:07
Smak are great, indeed.

There are so many bands and artists. Great prog-rock scene that from former Yugoslavia.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 13:50

---------------------------------------Korni Grupa-----------------------------------

Korni Grupa (Korni Group)

Founded: 1968

Genre: Progressive Rock, Folk Rock, Rock, Symphonic Rock

Years Active: 1968 – 1974

Former Members:

Kornelije Kovač
Miroslava Kojadinović
Borko Kacl
Bojan Hreljac
Vladimir Furduj
Dušan Prelević
Dalibor Brun
Dado Topić
Zdravko Čolić
Zlatko Pejaković
Josip Boček

·      *Don’t worry, next time it will be a band not from Serbia

Discography:

§  Korni Grupa (1972)

§  Not An Ordinary Life (1974)

Formation:

Korni Grupa was formed in 1968 by keyboarder Kornelije Kovac (Who the band is named after), Guitarist Borko Kacl, bass guitarist Bojan Hreljac, drummer Vladimir “Furda” Furduj and singstress Miroslava Kojadinovic. The bands first live appearance was at the famous Belgrade Dom Sindikata during the Spotsman of the year ceremony. They performed with female dancers who “pleasantly” surprised the audience (You know what I mean). Soon afterwards the show “Studio VI vam pruza sansu “ (Studio VI is giving you a chance) invited the band to perform. Miroslava Kojadinovic did not like the songs chosen for the show and refused to sing and Kornelije Kovac acted as vocalists in her stead. She was excluded from the band shortly after, quite obviously.

New Vocalist and recognition:

The band hired soul singer Dusan “Prele” Prelovic who will be remembered not for his singing but more for his actions, more on that later.

At the time Kornelije Kovac focused primarily on progressive rock but the fans requested a more commercial song, which Kornelije wrote called “Cigu-ligu” (No Video, sorry everyone) for the 1986 “Jugovizija” festival in Zagreb (Croatia). Singer Prelovic arrived quite drunk to the festival and got into an argument with founder Kovac and was fired at the spot. Korni Grupa had now changed their vocalists twice in the same year (Not even Journey managed that) but has found a suitable replacement: Dalibor Brun from Rijeka (Croatia). With Brun they have recorded some of their greatest hits.

Magicna Ruka (Magic Hand):

Sonata:

Korni Grupa also appeared on the Singing Europe festival in Netherlands where they performed the song “Pastir i cvet” and won the “most original band” award. They might have used questionable substances but this nice psychedelic song is very enjoyable.

Pastir i cvet:

Their first concert as a band was held 1969 in Belgrade which they called "Uz malu pomoc mojih frendova" (With a little help from my friends) (The first one who guesses which band wrote this song gets a cookie).

Brun and Kacl left the band and were replaced by famous musician Dado Topic (Who was mentioned at least 3 times on my blog before) and guitarist Josip Bocek.

The 70's and well deserved fame:

With the new members Korni Grupa decided to primarily concentrate on progressive rock

Etida (Thanks to Blackmore):

Prvo svetlo u kuci broj 4 "First light in house No. 4":

For those wondering what Kovac is saying:

"The next composition is one of our songs, quite long but very good, written by Dado Topic. The composition "Prvo svetlo u kuci"" broj 4".

In 1971 Dado Topic left the band to form his own band "Time" (Go to page 1) and was replaced by famous singer Zdravko Colic. Zdravko Colic left the band after only 6 months and was replaced by Zlatko Pejakovic with whom the band recorded their first studio album "Korni Grupa" which is considered as one of the greatest albums in ex-Yugoslavia.

Moj bol (My pain) :

"Not an ordinary life":

"Not an ordinary life" is the first english album by Korni grupa and can only be voted as mediocre at best. Its failure is one of the reasons why the band disbanded.

Eurovision for Korni Grupa:

In 1974 the band participated on Eurovision ( For our american friends: Eurovision is a song contest in which european countries compete against each other for honor and glory!.... I may be overstating things but if your fueled by energy drinks you just stop caring after a while) with the song "Moja Generacija" (My generation, which is not a cover of the who song with the same name) and placed 12th (loosing to ABBAs "Waterloo")

Moja generacija:

Note: I could translate the german but I am far too tired to do it but there is a important part at the end

The german moderator said:

"They have on purpose declined a commercial song but therefore performed a very interesting musical piece on the stage in Brighton"

The end of Korni Grupa:

With the poor success of "Not an ordinary life" and the poor placing on the Eurovision song contest Kovac decided to close the chapter of Korni Grupa, one of the first and greatest bands of ex-Yugoslavia.

Future plans:

Dado Topic stated that there might be a reunion in 2012 on the occasion of Kovac 70th birthday.

I hope you enjoyed another blog entry and prepare for many more to come 

Edited by Weirdamigo - August 16 2010 at 15:07
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 15:20
Originally posted by Andrea Cortese Andrea Cortese wrote:

Smak are great, indeed.

There are so many bands and artists. Great prog-rock scene that from former Yugoslavia.

Smak is the greatest band in Yugoslavia in my opinion, good to see some support from our friends across the adriatic see. LOL

Originally posted by ko ko wrote:

AWESOME!

You really have a talent for finding rare songs Thumbs Up. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Weirdamigo - August 16 2010 at 15:24
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 02:53
I do own Smak's debut packed with their 1976' Satelit EP; I also bought the miliar stone Crna Dama. I have to say the latter is impressive and deserves more wide recognition on thi site.

But the band I listen to most is Bijelo Dugme, especially albums as Sta Bi Dao... and Etò...

Edited by Andrea Cortese - August 17 2010 at 12:08
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 13:52

I do own Smak's debut packed with their 1976' Satelit EP; I also bought the miliar stone Crna Dama. I have to say the latter is impressive and deserves more wide recognition on thi site.

But the band I listen to most is Bijelo Dugme, especially albums as Sta Bi Dao... and Etò...

It would be nice to see Ex-Yugoslav bands get recognition on the site but I fear this will not happen, many are not willing to break the language barrier.

Bijelo Dugme is probably the most popular Rock. Pop Rock band in Yugoslavia at the time along with a band called Riblja Corba. I will eventually post about them but that will be towards the end, not much prog you see.

I am surprised that you are so knowledgeable about the Yugoslav rock scene, I still have to start listening to Italian prog Clap.

Edited by Weirdamigo - August 18 2010 at 13:54
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 03:04
eh ehe he

By the way, I think Bijelo Dugme's albums until 1979 are worthy of investigation for any progger. For such albums as Sta Bi Dao, Etò and Bitanga, I'd put them with other bands as Deep Purple or Uriah Heep. I know also some english band have covered them during the seventies.

On about guitarists, I prefer Vlatko Stefanovski over Tocak but both are at the top.
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 03:30
Leb I Sol could be interesting for many as well :)
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 07:14
Weirdamigo, thanks for opening this post-blog! Clap

Mind you, there are already more than a few bands from exYU included on the PA, look here:

http://www.progarchives.com/Bands-country.asp?country=203

I personally take care of updating all info and reviewing many of the albums which are not yet evaluated. I hope you will contribute too.

Cheers! Thumbs Up

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 11:46
Ahh, Seyo!  Hug

Your reviews have helped me sort through these difficult compilations and albums, most recently Korni Grupa and Indexi.  Many many many thanks!  (And your posting the yurock blogspot link has been most helpful as well!)

Weirdamigo, this blog is wonderful!  The band entries you've posted so far have been especially good.  Keep up the great work!  Long live Yugo Prog!  (And Eastern European prog in general!)
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

ljubaspriest View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 12:47
Great job so far, Weirdamigo.Let the proggers all over the world hear some of the goods produced in our beloved Yugoslavia during golden times.I was visiting Bosnia&Serbia this past may and was deeply disappointed by state of musical affairs over there.Amount of "neo-turbo-folk" content on radio and TV stations is morbidly inadequate.I had hard time finding any quality(not pirate)cd's in Bosnia.Belgrade(Serbia)offered  little more,so I scored "Kongres rock majstora"(finally on cd),a great compilation of 16 songs from 4 best guitarists in YU rock of mid 70's,RM Tocak's first album,Suncokret's "Moje bube" and several used lp's(Smak,Boomerang,Time).Best new(at least to my ears)artist I found interesting was Biljana Krstic(formerly of Suncokret&Rani Mraz)with her band Bistrik Orchestra,playing kind of  folk w/mild prog influences mostly in instrumentation.It's probably a strech,but I will call it Balkan version of Dead Can Dance.Maybe somebody would consider adding them to the YU-prog list roster.Seyo,what do you think?Anyway,keep on proggin' Weirdamigo and good luck.Regards from Canada.
ljubaspriest
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 14:58
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

Ahh, Seyo!  Hug

Your reviews have helped me sort through these difficult compilations and albums, most recently Korni Grupa and Indexi.  Many many many thanks!  (And your posting the yurock blogspot link has been most helpful as well!)

Weirdamigo, this blog is wonderful!  The band entries you've posted so far have been especially good.  Keep up the great work!  Long live Yugo Prog!  (And Eastern European prog in general!)

Thanks Todd! I am glad to hear that my work was not in vain... Still, there are lots of obscure but good music from exYU to discover... Cheers! Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 15:02

eh ehe he

By the way, I think Bijelo Dugme's albums until 1979 are worthy of investigation for any progger. For such albums as Sta Bi Dao, Etò and Bitanga, I'd put them with other bands as Deep Purple or Uriah Heep. I know also some english band have covered them during the seventies.

On about guitarists, I prefer Vlatko Stefanovski over Tocak but both are at the top.

Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Leb I Sol is the next band on the blog so you I will definitely mention Stefanovski. Another great guitarist to be introduced, so much to do so much to do LOL

Originally posted by Seyo Seyo wrote:

Mind you, there are already more than a few bands from exYU included on the PA, look here:

I personally take care of updating all info and reviewing many of the albums which are not yet evaluated. I hope you will contribute too. 

Cheers! Thumbs Up

It's quite an honor for me to see you post here, I've always read your reviews with great delight even before I joined PA, keep up the fantastic workThumbs Up

With the list you provided me has saved me a great deal of work and I will get to reviewing Ex-YU albums as soon as I can.

Ahh, Seyo!  Hug

I will do my best . I just hope the quality won't deteriorate Smile.

Originally posted by ljubaspriest ljubaspriest wrote:

Great job so far, Weirdamigo.Let the proggers all over the world hear some of the goods produced in our beloved Yugoslavia during golden times.I was visiting Bosnia&Serbia this past may and was deeply disappointed by state of musical affairs over there.Amount of "neo-turbo-folk" content on radio and TV stations is morbidly inadequate.I had hard time finding any quality(not pirate)cd's in Bosnia.Belgrade(Serbia)offered  little more,so I scored "Kongres rock majstora"(finally on cd),a great compilation of 16 songs from 4 best guitarists in YU rock of mid 70's,RM Tocak's first album,Suncokret's "Moje bube" and several used lp's(Smak,Boomerang,Time).Best new(at least to my ears)artist I found interesting was Biljana Krstic(formerly of Suncokret&Rani Mraz)with her band Bistrik Orchestra,playing kind of  folk w/mild prog influences mostly in instrumentation.It's probably a strech,but I will call it Balkan version of Dead Can Dance.Maybe somebody would consider adding them to the YU-prog list roster.Seyo,what do you think?Anyway,keep on proggin' Weirdamigo and good luck.Regards from Canada.

Wow. Thats quite a praise you gave me , thanks you Smile.
It is truly sad what became of music in the Ex-YU countries, most people don't even regard the rock scene as worthy of their time, truly a depressing sight to behold but as we all know, rock will never die. I am surprised that you found a Suncokret album, I've been looking for one for a couple of years now. A fantastic band that I will have to review sooner or later. If you are still on the lookout for albums of the 70's and 80's I would suggest that you try "Croatia Records" the next time you come to visit, they are what's left of the great Yugoslav record label "Yugoton".
Regards from Serbia Smile

Edited by Weirdamigo - August 19 2010 at 15:08
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 15:07

Ljubas, I have not heard Bilja Krstić yet. My interest generally stops at 1990 (and it is practical to define some boundaries for the research purposes) and I only occassionally follow what is happening in the successor Yugoslav states. There are some good things to be sure (Darkwood Dub is alredy mentioned) but I don't find anything as challenging for my ears as some oldies. It is not only "turbo-folk" but the general trend is awful everywhere I am afraid.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 16:09

Ljubas, I have not heard Bilja Krstić yet. My interest generally stops at 1990 (and it is practical to define some boundaries for the research purposes) and I only occassionally follow what is happening in the successor Yugoslav states. There are some good things to be sure (Darkwood Dub is alredy mentioned) but I don't find anything as challenging for my ears as some oldies. It is not only "turbo-folk" but the general trend is awful everywhere I am afraid.
Well,maybe you should reconsider expanding your interest little further ahead of 1990,'cause rare acts like above mentioned Bilja Krstic&Bistrik Orchestra deserve more attention in the light of appaling state of popular music all over frmr.YU.But,then again,I agree to certain extent with your point knowing that with cesation of Yugoslavia almost all quality art forms went to sh*ts,pardon my french.In any case,I can warmly recommend Bilja's cd w/two for one on one cd,knowing about your publicly declared  love for DCD,I'm sure you will enjoyed it.
ljubaspriest
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 16:36
Originally posted by Weirdamigo Weirdamigo wrote:

eh ehe he

Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Leb I Sol is the next band on the blog so you I will definitely mention Stefanovski. Another great guitarist to be introduced, so much to do so much to do LOL

Cheers! Thumbs Up

It's quite an honor for me to see you post here, I've always read your reviews with great delight even before I joined PA, keep up the fantastic workThumbs Up

With the list you provided me has saved me a great deal of work and I will get to reviewing Ex-YU albums as soon as I can.

Ahh, Seyo!  Hug

I will do my best . I just hope the quality won't deteriorate Smile.

Wow. Thats quite a praise you gave me , thanks you Smile.
It is truly sad what became of music in the Ex-YU countries, most people don't even regard the rock scene as worthy of their time, truly a depressing sight to behold but as we all know, rock will never die. I am surprised that you found a Suncokret album, I've been looking for one for a couple of years now. A fantastic band that I will have to review sooner or later. If you are still on the lookout for albums of the 70's and 80's I would suggest that you try "Croatia Records" the next time you come to visit, they are what's left of the great Yugoslav record label "Yugoton".
Regards from Serbia Smile

Weirdamigo(awesome nick,by the way)I found Suncokret digipack cd (One records #158)in a record store in Knez Mihajlova street by that water fountain.I also went to Jugoton(Croatia rec.) where I found Kongres rock majstora i J.Lisac's first lp.Truth of the matter is,some of the records that are essential and become,in some ways,cultural heritage of a lost(Yugoslavian)nation,will never be re-released on cd,which is a damn shame.Rare high quality acts,like Bilja Krstic&Bistrik Orchestra,who I almost accidentally caugt on a RTS programme are beautiful reminder of a talent that got lost in an ocean of kitch and cultural genocide.This is why  your blog here and Seyo's work on Prog acts from YU is very important to us all.Have a good one!
ljubaspriest
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 16:58
One more thing,before I forget(I'm 53,getting senile).Found a used cd from a band called FIRE "Could you understand?" on a South-African(?)label Skyf Zol.I heard of them before,album of theirs is one of the rarest lp's around collectors circles.Apparently they hailed from Croatia(ex YU) and members are:Jura Havidic,Miljenko Balic and Emil Vugrinec,and they played psychedelic hard rock with some killer fuzzed-out guitar leads,stuff everybody call "stoner-rock" nowadays.Well worth investigating.
ljubaspriest
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>