Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLinda Perhacs (acid folk)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Linda Perhacs (acid folk)
    Posted: August 08 2010 at 13:17
Parallelograms is a good album (it may not rock, but...)

See lots more at youtube.

albums.push('tr71233'); albums.push('tr628184');
eleased Title Cat# Reviews Ratings Chart [?] Overall
1970 Parallelograms 8 issues 37 583

rate
2007 Appears on: Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon [Devendra Banhart] 2 issues 48 734

rate

ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2010 at 14:20

She's been recommended and rejected before by Prog Folk as not 'proggy' enough.  Try the Psych team maybe?

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2010 at 15:31
Thanks for letting me know.  Psych, I really don't think so since it's acid folk (psych folk) much more than psychedelic rock --it being  folk based music. That first track (I linked to) is good anyway, but I wouldn't say most of the material is up to that standard. I didn't really expect it in, but enjoyed it enough to suggest it anyway.

EDIT: Since the Prog Folk team does not think it sufficiently "proggy", then related (if it weren't for the hurdles in getting in) would be the best fit, I think. But I won't bother going that route.

Edited by Logan - August 08 2010 at 15:38
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 08:17
Superb stuff Greg, regardless of the rock / prog quotient. The discrete wind instruments in the background make this a nice recommendation for my thread Recommend me ethereal flute music
which you may not have seen as I'm sure you'd have a lot of interesting music to pass me on Big smile
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 09:43
I discovered Linda Perhacs recently - wonderful, wonderful psych-folk. Not sure the rock element's strong enough in her work to get her onto PA but regardless she ought to be of interest to a lot of prog fans.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 12:53
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Superb stuff Greg, regardless of the rock / prog quotient. The discrete wind instruments in the background make this a nice recommendation for my thread Recommend me ethereal flute music
which you may not have seen as I'm sure you'd have a lot of interesting music to pass me on Big smile

Yep. I did see your thread, and had one in particular I wanted to mention, but wondered if it was ethereal enough and since it was recommended to me I've mentioned it in so many threads that people may be sick of seeing it. Herbie Mann, Bjorn J:Son Lindh and Ralf Nowy were the first flautist/ composers to spring to my mind (as I've listened to their stuff alot over the past year). I'll be sure to post there.

Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

I discovered Linda Perhacs recently - wonderful, wonderful psych-folk. Not sure the rock element's strong enough in her work to get her onto PA but regardless she ought to be of interest to a lot of prog fans.

It is wonderful. I'm glad you and Alex expressed your appreciation.  I rather wish it could be accepted for Prog Related as I don't know that acid folk is really represented there, but methinks that the lack of rock would present problems there as "rock" has been emphasised in the ratings descriptions for that category even if it fit other criteria. I've called on more music that lacks rock but has distinct connections to the Prog categories to be included there (and methinks that the "progressive" quotient is, in some ways, more important than the rock quotient) -- but then we might find Coltrane, Stockhausen etc. in Prog Related, which certainly would be fine by me (adding quality non-rock can even set the musical standards higher, if you know what I mean, but I seriously digress. LOL)
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 16:23
If this isn't psych what is Tangerine Dream's Zeit ? Listen since minute 2 to minute 4 of the first sample.

However it's very good stuff. The kind of music I like to hear in a rainy day, while some Hobbits walk in the Midland just out of my window. Confused Ying Yang

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 17:02
It definitely has psych qualities, which is why I labeled it acid folk (psychedelic folk).  I felt it better suited to the Folk Prog category.  That said, I have noted ones that I thought would be shoe-ins for Prog Folk as Acid Folk albums that ended up being accepted in Psych. In this case the Prog Folk team felt it not Proggy enough for admission to their category, nor to recommend to the Psych team itself.  In such cases, I treat suggestions as controversial. However, perhaps I will mention it to psych since they have accepted Acid Folk ones that I thought obvious Prog-Folk candidates.  But first I will add a suggestion of mine to Prog Folk that was approved last week.

That first track I listed is awesome, I think, and if the rest of her material were up to that, I'd be really pushing this.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2010 at 01:12
Oh, I've not found this thread since now, sorry Greg. Embarrassed

Now checking her stuffs ... curious how our Team should evaluate her anyway. Smile
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2010 at 05:03
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

It definitely has psych qualities, which is why I labeled it acid folk (psychedelic folk).  I felt it better suited to the Folk Prog category.  That said, I have noted ones that I thought would be shoe-ins for Prog Folk as Acid Folk albums that ended up being accepted in Psych. In this case the Prog Folk team felt it not Proggy enough for admission to their category, nor to recommend to the Psych team itself.  In such cases, I treat suggestions as controversial. However, perhaps I will mention it to psych since they have accepted Acid Folk ones that I thought obvious Prog-Folk candidates.  But first I will add a suggestion of mine to Prog Folk that was approved last week.

That first track I listed is awesome, I think, and if the rest of her material were up to that, I'd be really pushing this.

well it's true that while the Psych/space team have taken away some borderline or rejected suggestions from Prog Folk, surely Clem, Ken and I  wouldn't want it to become a habit or be systematic way to recuperate and include stuff that we PF team rejects.

Linda Perhacs is definitely folk (not psych or space), so if we rejected her because not being prog enough, this should be valid for the whole site's full blown prog categories.....

She could still be included in prog-related, though...... or eventually to the now-farcical of Crossover....

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2010 at 05:26
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

well it's true that while the Psych/space team have taken away some borderline or rejected suggestions from Prog Folk, surely Clem, Ken and I  wouldn't want it to become a habit or be systematic way to recuperate and include stuff that we PF team rejects.

Linda Perhacs is definitely folk (not psych or space), so if we rejected her because not being prog enough, this should be valid for the whole site's full blown prog categories.....

She could still be included in prog-related, though...... or eventually to the now-farcical of Crossover....

Hugues....stop dumbing down the site, you've made your point, rather take it up in the CZ.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2010 at 06:21
Hey guys, there is non prog folk in the site : fotheringay, trader horne or sallyangie. So, WHy no Linda Perhacs : she is just as prog as the previously mentioned folk acts.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2010 at 07:05
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Hey guys, there is non prog folk in the site : fotheringay, trader horne or sallyangie. So, WHy no Linda Perhacs : she is just as prog as the previously mentioned folk acts.

Because we already discussed her case before between the team and obviously, and obviously no, we didn't think she was "just as prog" as the other acts.
Just like some people think that very-derivative and one-dimensional Tori Amos is proggier than Kate Bush and placed her in Xover.... I guess it comes down to perceptions.

And we have Steeleye Span and Fairport Convention in prog-related.

we're also studying whether Shelagh McDonald is added to PF or will we ask for Prog related. the samples of her music that were given to us were actually quite misleading, and I suspect this was voluntary.... we heard at first only the more-progressive samples, but in her albums, the huge majority of her tracks are unaccompanied folk singer/songwriter songs.

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2010 at 07:25
^
what about Jackie McAuley (ex-Trader Horne) ?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2010 at 09:30
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

^
what about Jackie McAuley (ex-Trader Horne) ?

well he hasn't been suggested (yet) and I'm not aware of his stuff outside Tudor lodge

I'm more concerned with Judy DybleEmbarrassedHeartPigLOL
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2010 at 12:38
Hugues, you make it sound like I was deliberately trying to deceive/ mislead you with Shelagh McDonald, which if true, is strangely disrespectful and ungenerous to my character, but then you, like me, are not always the most tactful. I asked what people thought of her in Prog Folk, and posted the music that I thought would be most appreciated by people at this site (since I don't just like to mention acts/ people here in order to get them into PA, but also if I enjoy the music and think there may be a case). I also provided links to the rateyourmusic page which has reviews.  I assumed that your team would check the other youtube clips if/ when you took it to evaluation (if you didn't know her already, which I thought at least one of your team likely would -- I guess she's more obscure than I thought). I apologise for not specifically saying that there were more on youtube, and I was hoping to solicit the opinions of people who knew her (I've known music of hers for many years, and hadn't thought that she was that obscure). I was in a hurry when I created the topic, but had planned to discuss it further with people, and your team, when they posted in the thread. I didn't expect her in, I merely raised the possibility and asked for people's opinions. At he least, I hoped people would enjoy the music (I do).  I never said she should be in Prog Folk, I asked the general membership "How would people feel about her in Prog Folk" and then posted tracks that I thought would be of most interest from her two albums.  If I had brought it to your team, then I would have said much more. She is a singer/songwriter and it even says that on the rateyourmusic page that I linked to.  musically, I think she is at least Prog Related, but  I could not care less if she's in or out, same with Perhacs.  I enjoy the music, but I'm not a reviewer, and I loathe preparing additions. I do, however, greatly enjoy discussing such cases; however, you never even posted in the thread so I could discuss it with you. Incidentally, I would prefer that team discussion be held in the suggestion threads as much as possible/ feasible, but that's my preference, and is another issue.

Regarding Perhacs, which I would rather focus on in this thread rather than other acts/ people, I think I made it clear when Bob, a team member of yours, suggested that I might try Psych that I did not think it appropriate to Psych, but that's up to the Psych team to decide. When Octopus seemed to suggest Psych, I re-considered because I may not understand the parameters well enough since ones that I would have  considered for Prog Folk as Acid Folk acts have been rejected for Prog Folk and accepted into Psych.  I'm okay with that, since I know that people have different "prog" expectations (some are more inclusive than others), and often "prog" is in the ear of the beholder, and if I were on a team, if I thought something suitable to PA, then I would accept it even if I didn't my category the best fit (had it been rejected where I would have thought it fit best). I'm very inclusive, and if a case is borderline, then I lean to yes for PA.

When you write that Crossover is farcical, that is way over the line, and shows real disrespect for that team.  And underlining "the samples of her music that were given to us were actually quite misleading, and I suspect this was voluntary."  Is that a deliberate jab at me underlined to make sure I did not miss it? What do mean "voluntary?" That I was deliberately trying to mislead you? One reason why I didn't embed every youtube track I found of hers is because I find posting a lot has caused glitches in the past (and my ten year old computer can seize in such cases). I often do like to provide such a link as this: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Linda+perhcs&aq=f and then embed the tracks that I think would be of most interest, but while in the Eclectic team, if someone posted youtube tracks, I automatically made it a habit to check youtube for more tracks to form an opinion. Again, though, I wasn't just asking your team's opinion, I wanted to know generally if people thought she had a case (I genuinely thought some people here would know her albums already).

Anyway, this thread has become negative, and I'm not helping.

If people wish to discuss Perhacs further then do so in this thread, but let's not discuss other artists here, unless really relevant to her case (though I'd rather they be discussed in other threads). Thanks.

Edited by Logan - August 26 2010 at 12:56
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2010 at 13:34
Logan, you are the third person to recommend her. The first one was "Opethguitarist" in 2007, then me some months ago, then you.

Maybe your arguments will be stronger than ours.

To be honest, I don't understand why she is not included. As I said before, there are other "borderline or even non prog" folk artists in PA, and Linda is not less prog than them.

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2010 at 14:17
Regardless her inclusion, I like her. Thanks for introducing me to her music. 

I'm sure that if I look to the index I can find at least one artist, letter by letter, that makes me more concerned about his/her inclusion more than how Linda would.

Just starting with Tori Amos and Lucio Battisti......

However:
 wouldn't want it to become a habit or be systematic way to recuperate and include stuff that we PF team rejects 
This doesn't seem to be a good reason.

Linda Perhacs is definitely folk (not psych or space),
This is a good reason, even if I disagree. The disharmonic sounds at minute 2 of the first track are not folk in any way. 

not being prog enough, Hmmm how much is "enough"?

This kind of thing can't be measured with numbers, so comparisons with other artists are probably the only thing that makes sense. 
I have the vynil of Sallyangie since when it was released. Is that album more progressive or more rock than this stuff? "Little blue balls fluttering into my hands..." Is it an acid vision?
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2010 at 17:42
^ Indeed, it can't be measured with numbers.

Thanks, Lucas. I somehow missed OpethGuitarist's old topic even though I'm sure I did an all dates search.  This old computer does time out and seizes a lot. I'm switching back to my older still computer, ten years old, which still functioned better than this seven years old one.  Personally, I think her music should speak for itself, but different people as well as teams have different expectations.

Degree of Proginess/ progitude is not a science, and depends on the individual as well as category oine could say.  Team members will disagree on such topics.  What is acceptable to one person will be unacceptable to another.  Vive la difference.  Though, as I said, I treat music as controversial, and think more care should be taken, if it has a reject rather than a move vote from a team (where it's been adequately evaluated by a team for the most obvious category), that does not mean that another team (or individual) that thinks it is "Prog" (hate the term, but...) enough has a less valid opinion.

How much prog is enough often depends on individual biases/ expectations.... If a team of multiple people agrees that it is not prog enough, then of course it has more merit than just one person.  I can think of so many times where one team members thinks something is non-Prog or non-Progressive, where another team member disagrees completely. And then another team heard it and was enthusiastic about the addition (sometimes it does depend upon which material was really listened to).  Different strokes for different folks. What may fit my prog parameters may be non-Prog to another. That actually makes this site a less boring place, because many of us (myself included) enjoy discussing such matters even while recognising that there is no one absolute truth, and both perspectives can be valid. Prog degree can be important to consider, but the degree depends quite a bit on the individual. And how much Prog is enough does depend on the person, just as how much Prog there is depends on the individual.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2010 at 18:30
Greg, I've listened to her album "Parallelograms".

Indeed as you've mentioned, this is a great, guh-reat Acid Folk album, that's amazed me strongly.
And at the same time I've felt it's simple Acid Folksy, not close to "Progressive Acid Folk" as our definition says ...
Similar to a pioneer of Japanese Acid Folk, ZUNOH-KEISATSU (a very great band indeed!), but also ZK is NOT considered as a progressive rock band.

Sorry I cannot help having a negative opinion whether she should be in progressive rock category or not, but formally will take her to our office and get the other members' opinions.

Again thanks Greg for your wonderful input!

P.S. Again sorry I cannot follow this thread enough, regardless of lots of opinions here ... after work I'll check them out. Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>