Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLinda Perhacs (acid folk)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2010 at 06:23
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Hugues, you make it sound like I was deliberately trying to deceive/ mislead you with Shelagh McDonald, which if true, is strangely disrespectful and ungenerous to my character, but then you, like me, are not always the most tactful. I asked what people thought of her in Prog Folk, and posted the music that I thought would be most appreciated by people at this site (since I don't just like to mention acts/ people here in order to get them into PA, but also if I enjoy the music and think there may be a case).  >> I didn't mean it disrepectfullySmile,....
Please follow my train of thought.... and use a widely known inclusion (already in) for example

If you going to propose Queen's inclusion on the PA, you not going to provide me with samples of Radio Gaga or Body Language, are you??
Nope you're not!! if you want a chance to have Queen accepted, you'll give me Bohemian Rapsody or some Queen II track, right??Wink

Unfortunately by giving the proggiest works of anb artiste, this strategy is shunning a big part of the artiste's real nature.... that's what I meant

Sorry to have ruffled your feathersEmbarrassedWink

I also provided links to the rateyourmusic page which has reviews.  I assumed that your team would check the other youtube clips if/ when you took it to evaluation (if you didn't know her already, which I thought at least one of your team likely would -- I guess she's more obscure than I thought). I apologise for not specifically saying that there were more on youtube, and I was hoping to solicit the opinions of people who knew her (I've known music of hers for many years, and hadn't thought that she was that obscure). I was in a hurry when I created the topic, but had planned to discuss it further with people, and your team, when they posted in the thread. I didn't expect her in, I merely raised the possibility and asked for people's opinions. At he least, I hoped people would enjoy the music (I do).  I never said she should be in Prog Folk, I asked the general membership "How would people feel about her in Prog Folk" and then posted tracks that I thought would be of most interest from her two albums.  If I had brought it to your team, then I would have said much more. She is a singer/songwriter and it even says that on the rateyourmusic page that I linked to.  >>> don't sweat it, SMcD is in the databese anyway..Wink...Normally Alex contacted you to write the bio...... We just have to determine if she should in PF or in PR, which means that we'll have to ask in the latter option.

musically, I think she is at least Prog Related, but  I could not care less if she's in or out, >> I do agree with this same with Perhacs.  I enjoy the music, but I'm not a reviewer, and I loathe preparing additions.  >> no need to review, just write a bio. Eventually I can take care of her bio (I've already written my reviews of both her albums)Smile.I do, however, greatly enjoy discussing such cases; however, you never even posted in the thread so I could discuss it with you. Incidentally, I would prefer that team discussion be held in the suggestion threads as much as possible/ feasible, but that's my preference, and is another issue. >> well you're always welcome in the PF Dandelion Patch , even if only for a visit.....the more the merrier, rteally

Regarding Perhacs, which I would rather focus on in this thread rather than other acts/ people, I think I made it clear when Bob, a team member of yours, suggested that I might try Psych that I did not think it appropriate to Psych, but that's up to the Psych team to decide. When Octopus seemed to suggest Psych, I re-considered because I may not understand the parameters well enough since ones that I would have  considered for Prog Folk as Acid Folk acts have been rejected for Prog Folk and accepted into Psych.  I'm okay with that, since I know that people have different "prog" expectations (some are more inclusive than others), and often "prog" is in the ear of the beholder, and if I were on a team, if I thought something suitable to PA, then I would accept it even if I didn't my category the best fit (had it been rejected where I would have thought it fit best). I'm very inclusive, and if a case is borderline, then I lean to yes for PA.

As I said above, I don't mind the psych team stepping into the flok boundaries when the acid folk is burning holes through the prog folk walls and letting heavy psych pot smoke through itLOL, but it must not be a general option. In the case of Furubakken (or sumthing like that), I have absolutely no qualms about it.

The undisputed kings of acid folk are The Incredible String Band, and  they sit firmly in PF.

In the case of Perhacs, she's defintely folk and I'd hate it that the psych/Space takes it away from our rejected list.... I'm afraid this is simply not a valid option. She's either PF or PR or not in.

When you write that Crossover is farcical, that is way over the line, and shows real disrespect for that team.  >>> well the xover team has been including some very questionable artistes of late  ....  And I know I'm not the only one thinking so... some Admins also do. And them telling me to mind my own beeswax (as they gently seem to imply) is no doubt just as incorrect as me calling them farcical.....

NIN (this one got through the April Fool's joke addition >> how ungracefulDead), David Byrne (Talkings Heads are not even in PA, afaik anyway), Tori amos (read my reasoning with Kate Bush in my posts above) are just a few examples.  

And if I ruffle some feathers of theirs, I am NOT sorry (despite my liking most/all of the team members), because I do feel the right to speak my mind on issues like this. As I've explained, it's not the inclusions themselves that I'm bothered with (I even agree with some), but the placement in a full-prog genre - Xover prog is a bogus genre (as is Eclectic) created to split Art rock, but it's prog anyway.

And underlining "the samples of her music that were given to us were actually quite misleading, and I suspect this was voluntary."  Is that a deliberate jab at me underlined to make sure I did not miss it? What do mean "voluntary?" That I was deliberately trying to mislead you?  >> I've explained this above and hopefully it's OK now.

Anyway, this thread has become negative, and I'm not helping.  >> hopefully it will get better

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 09:46
I don't want to re-open a dispute, but I'm listening to parallelograms in this moment. The playing track is "Call of the River" and it's halfway between Sallyangie (for the acoustic guitars) and some early Renaissance or Pentangle. 
This is just acoustic guitar and voice (with some backround vocals overdubbed). It could be Jansch or Renbourn. The following track features a double bass like in Pentangle's Basket of Light while Linda voice is very similar to Sally Oldfield.

Have I mentioned anybody non-progressive?

What about the harp on the title track, then?

It deosn't rock, but how could she rock with only acoustic intruments an no percussions? Only Michael Hedges as per I know, was able to rock with just a guitar.
As I wrote before in this thread, after 2 minutes of this song there's a spacey section. I have reviewed the Taj-Mahal  Travellers just yesterday, is this music not similar to their?

Well, at the end I've written a sort of review...
Do what you prefer, but I think she's prog folk with excursions in psych
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 20:26
Shameless bump

I don't understand how this isn't progressive
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 00:49
Another bumpEmoticons
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 08:13
I thought she was rejected...good to know that the thread is still open
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 08:21

Okay, I listened to the whole album last night and again this morning and I have to agree she belongs here somewhere.  I think maybe the waffling is more around whether the music has a folk or a psych genesis, and I personally think psych is the more appropriate place.

That said, she clearly belongs on the site so I went ahead and added her.  

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 08:28
Clap Fantastic album, excellent add! Hug
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 09:46
I'm a bit busy but I think I'll review it soon.

Clap
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 12:54
Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12