Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClassical composers you hate.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 07:02
Originally posted by Gandalff Gandalff wrote:

As regards romanticism, I donīt like Richard Wagner. His music is too bombastic, spectacular and, they say, anti-Semitic. Therefore heīs prohibited in Israel music halls.

The music is not anti- semetic and he is not banned from Israel music halls.

And to describe his music as bombastic without adding that his music is also serene, ethereal and beautiful is a mistake.

Edited by Snow Dog - August 09 2010 at 07:07
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 07:03
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

I hate Vivaldi. Seriously, what a hack. Speaking of hacks, Puccini is nothing more than a populits writing lame music. I'm also not too fond of Brahms.

That reminds me of a remark by Stravinsky: "Vivaldi wrote only one concert, but that one a hundred times". He obviously was not a Vivaldi fan either. LOL

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Zebedee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 07:27
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I hate Vivaldi. Seriously, what a hack. Speaking of hacks, Puccini is nothing more than a populits writing lame music. I'm also not too fond of Brahms.

That reminds me of a remark by Stravinsky: "Vivaldi wrote only one concert, but that one a hundred times". He obviously was not a Vivaldi fan either. LOL

Reminds me of an Inspector Morse episode with the following memorable dialogue:

Morse: "That [cheering up] is about all Vivaldi is good for if you ask me."
Lady: "I... didn't know policemen were..."
Morse: "I'm a Wagner man myself"
Lady: "Oh... Wagner... now that is music. Although he was a horrible man..."
Morse: "Beauty and uglyness. I meet those in my profession everyday."

Friendship is like wetting your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel its warmth.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 07:30
Originally posted by Zebedee Zebedee wrote:

I love Morse.
Zebedee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 07:36
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by Zebedee Zebedee wrote:

I love Morse.

So do I. In fact,  it's probably my favourite tv series ever. I've always felt like I could identify with Morse as played by John Thaw (and what a performance it is!).

Friendship is like wetting your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel its warmth.
Trademark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 07:56
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

Okay, so yet another 'list your favorite composers' topic was recently made, so I thought I would try something that (I think!) is a bit different.

Come on. Most of us enjoy Classical music to some degree, but there has to be someone who writes 'art music' who you personally don't care much for. Talk about them here, perhaps? 

For me, one name immediately comes to mind: Johann Strauss II. Seriously. His music really irritates me. I don't understand why pieces such as The Blue Danube and Tales from the Vienna Woods are so popular and successful. I realize he focuses on 'light music' mainly, but I enjoy waltzes and the like. But I honestly can't take Strauss. In fact, I always have to mute that part of A Space Odyssey, it grates so much on my nerves.

So, anybody else who bothers you as much as good ol' Strauss does me? 

You're mixing your Strausses here JLocke.  The Blue Danube and Tales From the Vienna Woods are by Johann Strauss and Thus Spake Zarathustra (Or as you refer to it A Space Odysssey) is by Richard Strauss. Richard Strauss was for most of his careerc a dedicated devotee of Wagner and his opers like Salome and Elektra are pretty darkl and gruesom stuff (good material for a Prog metal opera)

The two are related (cousins of some sort, I think) but to call them the same composer is not accurate.  Don't blame the whole family for the actions of one member.    I know I don't want to be responsible for everything my brothers and sisters have done.  LOL

Also, to the Bald Ones; the quote you attribute to Stravinsky (and he may well have said it) is credited orginally to the Italian serialist composer Luigi Dallipicola.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 09:00
As for Mozart...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 11:40
Originally posted by Trademark Trademark wrote:

Okay, so yet another 'list your favorite composers' topic was recently made, so I thought I would try something that (I think!) is a bit different.

Come on. Most of us enjoy Classical music to some degree, but there has to be someone who writes 'art music' who you personally don't care much for. Talk about them here, perhaps? 

For me, one name immediately comes to mind: Johann Strauss II. Seriously. His music really irritates me. I don't understand why pieces such as The Blue Danube and Tales from the Vienna Woods are so popular and successful. I realize he focuses on 'light music' mainly, but I enjoy waltzes and the like. But I honestly can't take Strauss. In fact, I always have to mute that part of A Space Odyssey, it grates so much on my nerves.

You're mixing your Strausses here JLocke.  The Blue Danube and Tales From the Vienna Woods are by Johann Strauss and Thus Spake Zarathustra (Or as you refer to it A Space Odysssey) is by Richard Strauss. Richard Strauss was for most of his careerc a dedicated devotee of Wagner and his opers like Salome and Elektra are pretty darkl and gruesom stuff (good material for a Prog metal opera)

The two are related (cousins of some sort, I think) but to call them the same composer is not accurate.  Don't blame the whole family for the actions of one member.    I know I don't want to be responsible for everything my brothers and sisters have done.  LOL

Also, to the Bald Ones; the quote you attribute to Stravinsky (and he may well have said it) is credited orginally to the Italian serialist composer Luigi Dallipicola.

I don't think he is mixing his Strausses. The Blue Danube is featured heavily in 2001.

Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

I hate Vivaldi. Seriously, what a hack. Speaking of hacks, Puccini is nothing more than a populist writing lame music.

Nothing like objective criticism is there?

How about backing up statements like 'Vivaldi is a hack' and 'Puccini is nothing more than a populist writing lame music' then?

Is the title of this thread "objectively critique classical composers?" No! I stand by my statements that have no basis in anything but my opinions.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 11:44
John Cage, if he counts.

The mere concept of "4'33" angers me.
Trademark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 12:39
^^ LOL

The mere concept of John Cage angers me
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 12:44
Í love John Cage. He was the Till Eulenspiegel, the Nasreddin of composers, the jester, the fool. You need such a person from time to time to hold a mirror at us. Erik Satie was quite similar, by the way

Edited by BaldJean - August 09 2010 at 12:45

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 14:20

Ermm

If I were talking about Thus Spake Zarathustra, I would have called it that. Nice attempt at calling me out, though. Actually, no, it was pretty weak. 

I don't think he is mixing his Strausses. The Blue Danube is featured heavily in 2001.

Exactly. I knew all the smart people here would know what I was talking about.

Edited by JLocke - August 09 2010 at 14:22
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 14:27

Is the title of this thread "objectively critique classical composers?" No! I stand by my statements that have no basis in anything but my opinions.

lol, yup! I created this thread to vent your opinions, nothing more.

I think you were mocking me in that initial post, though. But it doesn't really matter, since I never said I had any good reason to hate Strauss other than personal taste. That;s kind of the point of the thread. Wink

Edited by JLocke - August 09 2010 at 14:27
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 14:59

"The Blue Danube" is a great piece of music. Yes, it is nothing but a waltz, but what a waltz! Full of surprises: Accelerandos, reletandos, diminuendos,,crescendos. It is not for nothing that when Brahms was asked for an autograph by a fan of his he scribbled the first few bars of "The Blue Danube" on the paper and added "Leider nicht von mir" ("Unfortunately not by me").

Edited by BaldFriede - August 09 2010 at 15:01

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 15:03

lol, yup! I created this thread to vent your opinions, nothing more.

I think you were mocking me in that initial post, though. But it doesn't really matter, since I never said I had any good reason to hate Strauss other than personal taste. That;s kind of the point of the thread. Wink

I wasn't mocking you in the slightest. I'm sorry if it came across that way. I do happen to like Johann Strauss, but I don't begrudge you your preferences. I don't like Richard Strauss very much.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 15:05
The Blue Danube pretty much sucks..I agree.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 15:23
I like Richard Strauss for his operas. "Salome", "Elektra", "Capriccio" or "Der Rosenkabalier" are either very dramatic or very funny. And any prog fan should like Salome's dance of the seven veils. Here a great stage version of it:

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 15:27
What I like about Richard Strauss are his tone poems. His art of orchestration is at the greatest display in there. 
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 15:29
Isn't this the hate thread?

Come on people.......pay attention!
Trademark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 15:30

Ermm

If I were talking about Thus Spake Zarathustra, I would have called it that. Nice attempt at calling me out, though. Actually, no, it was pretty weak. 

Exactly. I knew all the smart people here would know what I was talking about.

Wasn't "calling you out".  I've never actually seent he movie and don't care to, but I knew the R. Strauss was used.  If I "call you out" in the arena of classical music you WILL know it.

BTW, is there some special reason you feel obligated to act like a total Dickhead to everyone in every thread?  Just curious.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>