Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSomeone make me like Kayo Dot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 16:21
I like Blue Lambency Downward considerably, but would not expect others to like it (first clip I found to share from youtube)

The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 16:24
Can't really make you like anything... Could hold you at gunpoint and make you say you like it but that wouldn't be heartfelt.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 20:19
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

@Triceratopsoil: I hardly see the connexion between KD and the "kraut-rock" scene, since the 70's German experimental bands appear to me to be split between the "hypnotic/repetitive" bands (Neu!, Can...) and the "evolutive" bands (Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze - which are able to create long complex pieces) - not to talk about Amon Düül II and some free jazz-like stuff.

Just the fact that he said it doesn't seem to go anywhere

Made me think of Popol Vuh
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 21:14
The electrodes are on their way.

Not all who wander are lost.

I don't even know this music, but I'm pretty sure that your only choices are to get into them or someone else.  Give up on music altogether and listen to pop. LOL

Someone make me like... or make ... interesting for me.  I'm guessing you're probably not lazy but could you people please make more interesting thread titles!!!!AngryLOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 09 2010 at 21:15
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 17:39
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Someone make me like... or make ... interesting for me.  I'm guessing you're probably not lazy but could you people please make more interesting thread titles!!!!AngryLOL

No. Never.
The Monodrone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 18:11
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

No. Never.

Don't give in DT-PT LOL.

I haven't really loved Kayo Dot until lately... I re-listened to Choirs and Blue Lambency Downward and they're pretty awesome for me now, personally.  It has literally taken me about 15 listens each to really appreciate them... first, I didn't like them one bit and didn't at all see what the big fuss was; a few listens later I sort of started liking them but then stopped.  A few more listens and I started to get it, and now I really like them (I currently only have Choirs and BLD).  I think that after a lot of listens and memorization of the music, you'll start to like it a little bit, then a little more, than a little more, etc.

Or: you just may never like it Confused... It's just dependent on your tastes and brain function.

...Now I want to listen to KD. Tongue

Lars View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 19:01
What appeals to me about Kayo Dot is their ability to create strong, unconventional melodies combined with the highly experimental approach to instrumentation, songwriting and harmonization.

Some of the so-called "noodly" bits of "Dowsing..." contain some of the most beautiful sounds captured on disc in my opinion, but even I need to be in a special mood to actually enjoy the Khanate-inspired second part of "___ On Limpid Form"

To "get" the weirder parts of Kayo Dot, I think it helps to have at least some acquaintance with "non-traditionally harmonic" modern and contemporary classical music, especially for smaller ensembles, to get a tolerance for bitonality and atonality. You should also brush up on some ambient, and (non-noisy) free-improvised jazz.

For me, the various influences and elements combine to a whole that is easily the most satisfying music I have come across yet.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 19:11
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

No. Never.

Good answer. Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 04:47
Try some sleep deprivation spiced up with a never ending hardcore cocktail of Boney M, the Grease soundtrack and the wonderful "Fernando" by ABBA set to repeat. After that you will probably adore just about anything resembling a minute difference in your daily sonic adventures.
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 12:48
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Try some sleep deprivation spiced up with a never ending hardcore cocktail of Boney M, the Grease soundtrack and the wonderful "Fernando" by ABBA set to repeat. After that you will probably adore just about anything resembling a minute difference in your daily sonic adventures.

All at the same time?Pinch
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 13:10
Just look into Slarti's avatar eyes.....not only is that krapp creepy but it will make you like anything.....alakazamm!! Poof you now like Kayo Dot.!

Big smile

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 15:48
Originally posted by Starhammer Starhammer wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

All at the same time?Pinch

That would probably do the trick tooBig smile
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 11:44
I like Coyote and find it a prog album in more or less the same sense I would associate with the 70s, which I am not usually able to say about modern prog. But I am not exactly crazy about it and it doesn't make the best case to explore them further for me. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12