Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 08:10
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by The-time-is-now The-time-is-now wrote:

Very interesting ! The only Yes DVD I own is Live at Montreux 2003, very good.
For me, Union is a stuck, but it contains very good songs, for example Silent Talking or I Would Have Waited Forever. Don't you think ?

Keys to Ascension and Yes Symphonic are also excellent DVD's you shouldn't overlook.

Yes Symphonic is indeed a great DVD, but Keys To Ascension is actually quite bad. Not the music itself, but the video is rather awful actually. The editing is very badly made and the visual effects are dreadful. Besides, the set list is too predictable. I would not recommend anyone to buy this DVD as their first Yes DVD. The two CD's of the same shows with new studio tracks added as bonus tracks is a much better investment, in my opinion.

A much better DVD is House Of Yes - Live At The House Of Blues, filmed and recorded on The Ladder tour.

The-time-is-now View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 08:10
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Originally posted by spinsLPs spinsLPs wrote:

Bruford's remembrance of the Union tour,

As if sleep-walking, Bill is astonished to find he has re-joined the Yes behemoth, with 8 musicians - the entire cast of “Dallas” re-united. It is ghastly, macabre, and over-blown, but also un-missable.

At Madison Square Gardens on 15 June '91, the world’s most expensive drum-kit, $40,000 worth of two Simmons SDX units in tandem, stalls completely, and Bill performs a humiliating drum “duet” on acoustic hi-hat, snare, and cymbal opposite the thundering Alan White.

After four months, it’s too much. The tour was presumably in support of some album or another, but it’s not one that Bill ever played again, once recorded.

If I'm not mistaken, Bill has said compromising things about Yes on numerous occasions. In his own opinion, he never really fitted into the band in the first place. Bill is more of a Jazz drummer while Alan is more of a Rock drummer. I do not see how it would be "humiliating" for anyone to play with Alan White. If Bill actually said that, it's some insult! I personally prefer Alan and consider the latter to be the Yes drummer. It will be interesting to see them together though.

Alan White is clearly the official Yes drummer. And I think, as you do, that their styles can't be measured, since they're different.

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D
The-time-is-now View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 08:12

For me, Union is a stuck, but it contains very good songs, for example Silent Talking or I Would Have Waited Forever. Don't you think ?

Keys to Ascension and Yes Symphonic are also excellent DVD's you shouldn't overlook.

Yes Symphonic is indeed a great DVD, but Keys To Ascension is actually quite bad. Not the music itself, but the video is rather awful actually. The editing is very badly made and the visual effects are dreadful. Besides, the set list is too predictable. I would not recommend anyone to buy this DVD as their first Yes DVD. The two CD's of the same shows with new studio tracks added as bonus tracks is a much better investment, in my opinion.

A much better DVD is House Of Yes - Live At The House Of Blues, filmed and recorded on The Ladder tour.

I already own the album but I didn't know that it exists in video version. Thanks !

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D
spinsLPs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 10:11
Regarding Bill's humiliation of playing with Alan White, if you've ever seen their drum duo (as oppose to solo) on this tour, they would each take turns soloing over a set pattern.  If your electronic kit were to fail, I could see how it would be humiliating to go against Alan armed only with some cymbals and a snare.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 22:06

Yes Symphonic is indeed a great DVD, but Keys To Ascension is actually quite bad. Not the music itself, but the video is rather awful actually. The editing is very badly made and the visual effects are dreadful. Besides, the set list is too predictable. I would not recommend anyone to buy this DVD as their first Yes DVD. The two CD's of the same shows with new studio tracks added as bonus tracks is a much better investment, in my opinion.A much better DVD is House Of Yes - Live At The House Of Blues, filmed and recorded on The Ladder tour.

I do have to admit that the video on Keys to Ascension is rather bad, but it's still watchable, and I did like the concert. Plus, many of the songs on it are my favourite versions of them. And, about it not being good for Yes Newcomers, I guess a predictable set list is better for someone who dosen't know the band, because thus he'll first know the classics instead of the obscure songs. I do might even say this album and Symphonic may be the best way to get to know the band (whether it is on CD or DVD).
nordwind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 21:56
 I managed to tape that concert when it aired up here in Canada on "MuchMusic" .I just grabbed a tape in a big hurry while accidently flipping through the cannels - probably got about 80% of it .It's an excellent concert ,although a lot of people don't like Rabin I think he's a genius ,& I also really like the "Union" album .The so called "Yes West" .
 The only thing missing in my opinion was Peter Banks ,but I guess just getting Steve Howe on stage w/Trevor Rabin was no mean feat ! LOL
Jazz isn't dead.......it just smells funny.
Frank Zappa / Live in New York
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2010 at 05:38
Originally posted by nordwind nordwind wrote:

I managed to tape that concert when it aired up here in Canada on "MuchMusic" .I just grabbed a tape in a big hurry while accidently flipping through the cannels - probably got about 80% of it .It's an excellent concert ,although a lot of people don't like Rabin I think he's a genius ,& I also really like the "Union" album .The so called "Yes West" .
 The only thing missing in my opinion was Peter Banks ,but I guess just getting Steve Howe on stage w/Trevor Rabin was no mean feat ! LOL

It's not this concert that  will see on DVD, if i am not mistaken. The concert you talked about is the one with the central stage. This one is a normal stage in Moutain View CA.

Edited by rdtprog - August 20 2010 at 05:38
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2010 at 05:40
This definitely looks like a DVD that will jump off the shelf into my hands on sight!
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2010 at 12:39
Originally posted by nordwind nordwind wrote:

Apparently Peter Banks was supposed to play one set with Yes. But, from his side of the story, he was told that Howe didn't want him on stage or something like that and so ended up not going on.
BaronVonCruzer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2010 at 17:04
My problem with the "Union" album is that Rick Wakeman was nowhere to be heard. Steve Howe's contribution was great, but the two best songs are actually re-workings of two songs from his "Turbulence" album. That's why I don't have "Union" in my collection. I have "Turbulence."
THE PROG REPORT
The Progressive Rock Fan's Guide To The iPod Revolution
www.theprogreport.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2010 at 22:18
^ And, lots of guitars on that album, though credited to Howe, are suposed to have been played by one Jimmi Haun. They just got him to play over Howe's original parts because Howe was not interested enough in the album or somethin like that. I think just about all of Shock to the System was really played by this guy.
BaronVonCruzer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2010 at 16:02
^ Yeah, 3/5 of the band Lodgic is on that album. If you've never heard of them, they were Billy Sherwood's band before World Trade. His brother, Michael is one of the keyboard players on the Yes East tracks. Another of the keyboardists was Ian Crichton, the bass player of Saga.
THE PROG REPORT
The Progressive Rock Fan's Guide To The iPod Revolution
www.theprogreport.com
yesfan4 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2010 at 09:26
I was lucky enough to see three shows on the "Union" tour one of them the 4th stop (George Mason University's Patriot Center in Fairfax VA in late APR '91), and then one of the last (USAir Arena in Landover MD in late JUL '91) and all three were great!  The set list changed very little between the shows except for "Saving My Heart" replaced "Hold On" for the last show I saw.  As some one mentions in an earlier post, I also noticed that the band didn't look happy being all together on stage.  Bill Bruford and Squire apparently barely (if at all) spoke during the tour, and at the first show Steve Howe and Rabin were on opposite sides of the revolving stage and Howe "took a powder" from the stage during "Owner of a Lonely Heart", "Hold On", "Changes", and "Lift Me Up".  I have read several times that Steve felt Rabin was not worthy of the band (though to a diehard fan as myself, Rabin SAVED IT), though I guess he has mellowed over the years as he was very in favor of Trevor being part of the aborted summer 08 tour.  Trevor made a cameo at the 7 AUG YES show at LA's Greek Theater and took center-stage playing guitar for "Owner", and Steve stayed on the stage with him playing rythym guitar, so maybe they have made peace!  There is a clip on U-Tube of that song and Trevor looked REALLY happy on stage playing  the song with the band.  Is this DVD out yet?  Have to get it!!!!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 22:57
I haven't heard yet about the album being available yet, I hope it will bee soon.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 22:24
It's available at last.

http://www.gonzomultimedia.co.uk/product_details/13922/Yes-Union_%28Deluxe_2CD_&_2DVD%29.html
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 07:24
I saw them live on this tour at an outdoor concert.  My last Yes show.  I've just become an old fart who doesn't get out to concerts any more.  I blame it on DVDs.

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 13 2011 at 10:21
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 08:05
^I blame it on not wanting to spend $50+ to see artists just going through the motions. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 10:21
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

^I blame it on not wanting to spend $50+ to see artists just going through the motions. 

Yes, well give credit where it's due.  Did I just start off my comment with "Yes"?  Dammit!!!

Time to go cut a Union and cry. Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 13 2011 at 10:23
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

ninestonesclose View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 11:10
Saw them on the Union tour and it was a great event ... looking forward to this release! Thumbs Up

Ade

www.ninestonesclose.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Nine-Stones-Close/55419627928
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123