Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWorst Album by a Great Prog Band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 01:44
Union is a forgettable thing. It's rather something I really like not to mention.
Did you know that Michael Sadler and Jim Crichton (Saga) had a huge influence on the album? Jim even programmed the synths for that album.

I forgot about Tormato. You know what it is; I often dislike over-pretentious and over-indulgent albums. I guess that's why Tales from Topographic Oceans is not a favorite of mine. The latter albums, I honestly don't really know. Heard them, but forgot them.

But things can change. I used to hate 80's prog just as much as any other progrock-enthousiast, but I turned around. Then I had a long period where I couldn't stand long psychedelic seventies albums.

Now it's more balanced out. Some things I will never enjoy (powermetal like Iron Maiden, etc.)

Lately I played Camel on the Road 1982 (with a great abundance of Single Factor songs) and I didn't like it at all. No spirit, no soul, no nothing. I guess that's why I don't like that album. It lacks almost anything I enjoy in Camel.

noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 02:20
Pink Floyd's...Meddle
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 03:17
Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

Pink Floyd's...Meddle

wow, really? Confused
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 04:27
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Pink Floyd's...Meddle

wow, really? Confused

Cannot stand that album..
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 04:34

Pink Floyd's...Meddle

wow, really? Confused

Cannot stand that album..

what do you find so awful about it?
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 04:44
Theres no music.. In fact there's 3 pink floyd albums I don't play because of this.    Their other albums are fine, the classic Pink Floyd sound.

Others include:
A saucerful of secrets and Pulse....

Edited by noni - September 18 2016 at 04:53
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 04:55
^ what do you mean there's no music?! Confused
I don't get it.
I understand people's disappointment with TFC or AMLOR, but not Meddle.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 05:23
What are TFC and AMLOR?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 05:27
The Final Cut and A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Edited by Cristi - September 18 2016 at 05:27
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 05:52
There's a big difference between albums one may dislike and one's that are bad. Two different idea. The first is a preference, the opinion. The second is a judgement - good? Bad? Back it up. As best as you can.

e.g. I'm only in parts keen on VDGG some nice riffs here and there. I do not say they are bad, just what I hear (vocally usually) puts me off. Plus i thought they needed more instruments (guitar) to really get their stuff across. This is what could be called an artistic difference. ;)

Are Radiohead a great prog band? I recall Yorke being worried about such a label as that was before prog rock was the new trendy thing and the fair weather fans could come out of their wardrobes. If R.Head are a great prog band then I nominate OK Computer. To me I found the backing (guitar) for the whining to be poor, unimaginative and all that was worst about alt rock. Progressive rock? Not with Porcupine Tree's Signify, In Absentia and Recordings in leagues ahead in every comparable field, composition, vocal likeability, lyrics and deft, generous and expressive work from his bandmates that, well make P Tree far more prerable to his solo albums. The last P Tree and second post Tree solo album should be, ironically the other way around...

Don't find too much dreadful or not liked among all the usual suspects. I had many years of disliking the Final Cut. Then I had a copy of the video EP (nice little 4 track concept piece) and the tunes Rog had found fresh ears. It's a very austere album and makes no pop or rock concessions. The late 70s / 80s era direct references might cause some to think it's dated; I like to think of these as specific examples of railing against dictatorial authority rather than say a general approach such as Sabbath's War Pigs.

Poor old Tormato. It kind of has A White Album syndrome as the band members had clearly gone seperate ways. I think of this album as something of a compilation of (then) new material unlike the more album orientation of previous releases.

When watching the Wembley concert by Genesis I thought it was all fine and then they went into Los Endos and what a change. The mystery that was Genesis was brought back  - as much as I like most things Genesis 80s this was probably what I liked and wanted to hear most. But Genesis fans never gave the latest Genesis a chance and that spelled the end of that band, Cutting off noses to spite faces perhaps. Like most latter day Genesis releases they are much better when all the material (CAS has about 50 minutes of music not included on the album) and compiling all the tracks gives a different feel to the album - a similar effect with Invisible Touch and Abacab.

Still prog fans are not expected to think outside the box. That would be, well progressive. But Genesis were still fine live. I do think I prefer Phil on drums though.

As for Yes - only Heaven and Earth so far. 90125 Big Generator were fine, energetic affairs - a different beats from Heart of The Sunrise but now capable of putting complex forms inside short formats rather than extended ideas.

Now something I could really have done without is hearing a mono mix of The White Album. This mono idea is quite funny. What is people want? Surround sound? Great stereo? Mono? Really?! This was like listening to this otherwise superbly remastered album through a funnel. The only thing that should be in mono are albums like early Dylan when it's just himself. But a band, orchestra or whatever does not get heard in mono live, AP soundboard or not. It is most unnatural.

I recall Focus Con Proby and Mother Focus to be not quite up to the standard of previous albums.

Oooh, I know. Camel. Great band. Breathless. Uh oh. Oh dear. I recall being massively disappointed with this. In contrast the live version of Snow Goose is one of the in concert greats. Unlike Yesshows, released before Squire had finished this project the result was... lack lustre. In contrast there are many contemporary bootlegs revealing Yes to be right at the top of their game.

Wasn't thrilled with Dot Com from Tull but then I wasn't thrilled with Too Old To Rock And Roll either depite this album being in the middle of an exceptionally long run of exceptionally fine albums. Good, but not great.
This was the worst album by Tull in that 12 year period.

Pink Floyd. This is odd stuff but compilation such as A Collection of Great Dance songs just annoyed me. Unlike the similar Classic Yes the Floyd's material from different albums just did not hang together in this format. The re-recorded Money could be included, along with Embryo (Works) on a new version of Relics. But they haven't. Yet.

ELP, sorry but half or works was overproduced rather dull songs from Greg Lake and some ideas and jams from Carl Palmer. The band material and Concerto are great. I like his concerto, a really positive piece. the maligned Works 2 reveals a versatile and often fun prog rock band.

KC. Bad stuff. Er... um... ah...

Bowie. Prog rocks single greatest artist. If only he had got together with Crim c. 1985... I suppose I'm not that keen on his earliest material (love the Laughing Gnome though). Some of his post Let's Dance material might not have quite the same intensity - his track Underground for example was a tad pallid.

So instead of being negative one keeps one's mind open and a lucky dip approach to these great bands are most likely to mean you pick up a pretty good album. Somethings might not to be one's taste but ... that can change as I have found.

Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 06:39
Funny thing though...

I love the usual suspects, more or less.

Breathless by Camel: on of my favorites.
Civilian by Gentle Giant: great rock album
90215 by Yes: great modern prog album
Tull.com: one of my favorites, great modern prog, with excellent keyboards
Bowie: Let's Dance and Never Let Me Down: love it to bits
Marillion.com: another great record and a favorite of mine
Fish - Fellini Days, never quite understood why people don't like it
IQ - The Paul Menel albums? I like them equally to the Nicholls-albums. I like them even better than the first twon (poorly produced albums)
Uriah Heep: anyhting with Bernie Shaw and Peter Goalby: great AOR and prog-lite stuff
etc. etc. etc.

Sometimes I like the albums, that nobody likes. Sometimes I dislike the albums everybody likes (like anything by Opeth, Anathema, Tool, Radiohead etc.)
Maybe I'm just a old grumpy man. Or maybe I just like to listen the music I like.

Great though, that not everyone agrees on everything.
Or maybe the Metallica/Lou Reed thing was the worst thing to ever come out. Or maybe not...
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 08:08

^ what do you mean there's no music?! Confused
I don't get it.
I understand people's disappointment with TFC or AMLOR, but not Meddle.

How can you say there is music?, there is  no music!!!!...  To me Pink Floyd is average, I would rate other bands better.

Edited by noni - September 18 2016 at 08:09
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 08:14
yeah man... huge difference between albums you don't like and albums that. well.. suck..

so yeah.. that is the conundrum of the thread. Great prog band?  well then... the question is ... did they really do any that sucked.  Truly sucked.. then they wouldn't be considered great prog bands.

Thing of the usual subjects for prog bands. One could argue about albums past their prime but not going there. Really only applies to one group. Yes that continued on when others bit the dust...or became things not prog.

Yes? sorry... they didn't do a single prog album that sucked... you may not have liked it. However groups with that kind of talent and songwriting ability, and Yes is without a doubt the most talented to ever grace prog, and could be tossed into the top tier of rock in general. They simply didn't do one. Tormato sounded like sh*t thanks to Wakeman but the playing.. the songs themselves.. top frickin notch.  And woe to those that think Tales was a bad album... it was Yes at its greatest. It was the pinacle of ALL of prog rock. The ultimate prog rock-symphony. Shorten it?... piss off.. the same fools that say that are the same one that think Dvorak's 9th would be better if he knocked 5 minutes of 'filler' off of each movement.

King Crimson.  I think Islands was dogsh*t.... but again.. it wasn't a bad album. I thought it sucked, I got nothing out of it. For everyone that think it sucks... there is one who loves it.  So that doesn't count. 

ELP - hahahhaha.  The one band who are exempt from this. They are not judged by their albums. Great albums are not what put this group into the big 3. Good thing because their albums were a fascinating mix of the most incredible and the most idiotic.

to the lesser 3 prog greats

Genesis - again.. like ELP not a single great album but not a single bad one.  To a lesser extent than ELP whose highs were higher, and lows definitely lower. A maddening mix of great and sleep inducing crap.

Dull - pleading the 5th on them.  Only putting them in the greats because you all think so.  For me, and some others, they stopped being a great band when they tried to be a prog band. Stopped being a 'band' and started being a vehicle for Ian Anderson.  Benefit and Stand Up trash anything they did after Aqualung. 

Floyd - again... you can hate on albums you have heard so many times you have come to hate, but the fact is they didn't do a bad album. Boring yes (the Final Cut).. bad no bad ones at least until Roger left and they unleashed the sh*t stain of the musical world upon us in the form of AMLoR
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 09:45
^  I love AMLOR. Smile
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 10:58
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yeah man... huge difference between albums you don't like and albums that. well.. suck..

so yeah.. that is the conundrum of the thread. Great prog band?  well then... the question is ... did they really do any that sucked.  Truly sucked.. then they wouldn't be considered great prog bands.

Thing of the usual subjects for prog bands. One could argue about albums past their prime but not going there. Really only applies to one group. Yes that continued on when others bit the dust...or became things not prog.

Yes? sorry... they didn't do a single prog album that sucked... you may not have liked it. However groups with that kind of talent and songwriting ability, and Yes is without a doubt the most talented to ever grace prog, and could be tossed into the top tier of rock in general. They simply didn't do one. Tormato sounded like sh*t thanks to Wakeman but the playing.. the songs themselves.. top frickin notch.  And woe to those that think Tales was a bad album... it was Yes at its greatest. It was the pinacle of ALL of prog rock. The ultimate prog rock-symphony. Shorten it?... piss off.. the same fools that say that are the same one that think Dvorak's 9th would be better if he knocked 5 minutes of 'filler' off of each movement.

King Crimson.  I think Islands was dogsh*t.... but again.. it wasn't a bad album. I thought it sucked, I got nothing out of it. For everyone that think it sucks... there is one who loves it.  So that doesn't count. 

ELP - hahahhaha.  The one band who are exempt from this. They are not judged by their albums. Great albums are not what put this group into the big 3. Good thing because their albums were a fascinating mix of the most incredible and the most idiotic.

to the lesser 3 prog greats

Genesis - again.. like ELP not a single great album but not a single bad one.  To a lesser extent than ELP whose highs were higher, and lows definitely lower. A maddening mix of great and sleep inducing crap.

Dull - pleading the 5th on them.  Only putting them in the greats because you all think so.  For me, and some others, they stopped being a great band when they tried to be a prog band. Stopped being a 'band' and started being a vehicle for Ian Anderson.  Benefit and Stand Up trash anything they did after Aqualung. 

Floyd - again... you can hate on albums you have heard so many times you have come to hate, but the fact is they didn't do a bad album. Boring yes (the Final Cut).. bad no bad ones at least until Roger left and they unleashed the sh*t stain of the musical world upon us in the form of AMLoR
HEAVILY disagree above about the sound "policy" of the mighty "Tormato" from AD 1978 and donīt give a damn really. WTH, am I really the only one here to defend that unique album AND my heroes LOL ! "Tormato" sounds brilliant to my senses, I would not change a note in it. I instantly fell in love with Birotronīs sound the first time I heard it back in the day. Rick Wakeman had the guts to use something TOTALLY different & fresh in 1978, in the middle of that NW BS. (Thank God they stopped trying copying CttE over and over and over again). The interplay between him and Steve Howe is plain incredible due to Rickīs attitude & sound policy actually. He pushed... no he whipped Howe to go further and better in his playing. They were challenging each other, and caused to the other guys do they best as well. Alan White especially shines here. So does Chris Squire, as always. One of most beautiful & emotional singing from Jon Anderson is right here. Their reached synenergy. After ten summersī time they came back to square one, short songs & MELODY. Hell of a lot fresh energy & true enthusiasm that they lost along the way... Energy & freshness like in the debut album way back in 1969. Some say they hated each other. I really donīt think so. And even so who cares. The end result is brilliant. Otherwise it wouldīn not have been that good really. Anyway, thatīs totally irrelevant who "hated "who or not. Haters are losers. In the end music itself matters, everything else is futile. Thatīs why classics are born, and as always has been with Yes, from controversy like in the early days. Bill Bruford says they never ever agreed on anything really, it just came out they just created that incredible music of Yes. Thatīs how classics are born, from controversy. "Tormato" is no exception. And itīs full of melodies & harmonies. Like is their first record ten years earlier LOL
Actually, knowing it or not (thatīs totally irrelevant again), it was namely Rick Wakeman who saved rockīnīroll from boredom, in 1978. Hah ! Well, he is an intellectual, like we it or not.

Yah, totally agree "Tales from Topographic Oceans" from 1973 is the ultimate in Concept Double Album format, itīs really faultless in everything. As good as "Prog Rock" gets. (Well done, Micky).

As for "lesser" bands, are you fĪ#%ing kidding me... thatīs mostly tongue in cheek stuff  Tongue

Ah, did I mention Pink Floyd started getting boring already in 1977 ? (grin)

What the hell, who even cares

You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 11:20
hahahha Clap

Defend away man.  However my point stands...if Wakeman had ditched the Casio or whatever the f**k he was playing on that album and just played a damn Hammond.. you wouldn't need to defend it. That was the only flaw on what was otherwise a great album.. problem was... it was a mighty big flaw.  It took me a long time to get over it.. to the point where it is not as much irratating.. but endearing.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 11:29
Thanks guys, now I'm actually psyched to listen to Tormato again....can't say I've felt that way in a good whileLOL.  Moving it into the rotation.  

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 11:36
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

^  I love AMLOR. Smile

hah..  there are some albums I dislike... they are fortunate enough to only become drink coasters at the Palzzo di Prog here.

there is only 1 album.. 1 album I have ever heard I hate.. loathe..detest...

and someday as my swans song to this site... before my lungs, liver, brains or god forbid .. my wit give out.

I will give that album the PA's review it deserves from me.  I have 2 of the greatest reviews this site ever saw...

I will make that one my epitaph to this site...LOL
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 12:14

Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

^  I love AMLOR. Smile

hah..  there are some albums I dislike... they are fortunate enough to only become drink coasters at the Palzzo di Prog here.

there is only 1 album.. 1 album I have ever heard I hate.. loathe..detest...

and someday as my swans song to this site... before my lungs, liver, brains or god forbid .. my wit give out.

I will give that album the PA's review it deserves from me.  I have 2 of the greatest reviews this site ever saw...

I will make that one my epitaph to this site...LOL

LOL I almost want to see you leave just to read that review!

(Please don't leave, though. Your commentary is one of the main reasons I keep coming back)
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 14:03

hahahha Clap

Defend away man.  However my point stands...if Wakeman had ditched the Casio or whatever the f**k he was playing on that album and just played a damn Hammond.. you wouldn't need to defend it. That was the only flaw on what was otherwise a great album.. problem was... it was a mighty big flaw.  It took me a long time to get over it.. to the point where it is not as much irratating.. but endearing.

You bet dude. Iīm proud and say whatever I want and defend my childhood heroes whenever I can. You missed the point (once again): This album never needed any defend, however the musicians in question (Mr. Wakeman in particular) need a little support against those stoopid hostility from ignorant fools apparently (grin). Where were we...

Ha-haa ! Gotchaīya. The album itself has no problems. You (and many other "Yes fans") have, and itīs big one. Itīs called a wrong attitude. And I donīt give a damn, itīs your life not mine.
But you will get over it... as you have grown during the years. Iīm glad you have progressed, well done really appreciate. I got it immediately, as a teenager. Well, one canīt fool a teenager. You see, my true first Yes love was this particular album back in the day (grin). Meanwhile you can show us how you play the keyboard parts better than Mr. Wakeman did. Sure you can manage that  Big smile

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - September 18 2016 at 14:04
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>