Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLars Hollmer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
alanterrill View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lars Hollmer
    Posted: August 24 2010 at 03:23
Yes- I remember some discussion about this on the avant-progressive forum - Hollmer and Cuneiform were trying to get it re-issued but were frustrated in their efforts to get the rights, so they decided   to put out the live CD of Von Zamla which included many of the songs from No Make Up. I've no idea why this particular album should be different to any of the others though -it wasn't on a  major label so I'd have thought Hollmer would have the rights but apparently not.
Here's hoping that someone will put together a box set of all the Hollmer obscurities and unreleased stuff, of which there must be a lot. He deserves a fitting tribute to a life's work that has influenced many others..
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2010 at 03:09
Originally posted by alanterrill alanterrill wrote:

Well I wouldn't say Looping Home Orchestra were overlooked any more than most of Hollmer's output. They are amongst his best though, as is the Sola group's album. Best of all though are the three Von Zamla albums, the second never available on CD unfortunately. You'll find most of them on Wayside Music  (http://waysidemusic.com/) or Record Heaven (http://www.recordheaven.net/index.cfm). 

I'd say LHO are perhaps on a par with Hollmer's solo albums in terms of obscurity, but there are lots of Samla fans out there who've never ventured into the rest of his discography.

Von Zamla are superb, a bold but necessary evolution of the Samla sound. I wonder why No Make Up has never been released on CD. Are there rights issues or some such stumbling block?
alanterrill View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2010 at 16:12
Well I wouldn't say Looping Home Orchestra were overlooked any more than most of Hollmer's output. They are amongst his best though, as is the Sola group's album. Best of all though are the three Von Zamla albums, the second never available on CD unfortunately. You'll find most of them on Wayside Music  (http://waysidemusic.com/) or Record Heaven (http://www.recordheaven.net/index.cfm). 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 03:55
Originally posted by Apsalar Apsalar wrote:

I've got most (all?) of the other SMM related works.

Did a little browsing, firstly avant-prog from the 80's entices me (I'm coming to realize a bulk of my favourites come from this era)  and two, there is a pittance of info on the group (at least that I could find - a couple of dead links on suspicious Russian sites). Where did you find the album?   

Yeah, info is scarce but the music's out there. I got the live album years ago from ReR - it's still listed on their website so presumably there are still copies available. I used to have the studio album (Vendeltid) on mp3, but lost it after a hard drive crash. It's also available on ReR (and possibly elsewhere) as part of a 3CD set alongside Hollmer's solo albums Tonoga and Fran Natt Ideg.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 03:10
I've got most (all?) of the other SMM related works.

Did a little browsing, firstly avant-prog from the 80's entices me (I'm coming to realize a bulk of my favourites come from this era)  and two, there is a pittance of info on the group (at least that I could find - a couple of dead links on suspicious Russian sites). Where did you find the album?   
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 04:06
Nothing on youtube, last.fm etc, but if you dig SMM or Hollmer's solo albums then it's a bit of a no-brainer. I might upload something to youtube myself when I have the time.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 03:50
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

LHO are continually and unfarily overlooked, IMO.

Seems I've done as such myself. Any links for the ears, my kind sir?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 03:39
Prolific composer, skilled musician, central pillar of Swedish RIO and a man who wasn't afraid to make his audience laugh. Let's celebrate his work here.

First up, has anyone else heard either of the Looping Home Orchestra albums? The studio album "Vendeltid" contains some of Hollmer's finest compositions, and the live album which followed gives many of Hollmer's compositions an energy and spark which rivals Samla/Zamla at their most manic. LHO are continually and unfarily overlooked, IMO.
 Post Reply Post Reply