Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Doors - The Soft Parade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Doors - The Soft Parade
    Posted: August 17 2010 at 16:18
IMO, the song "The Soft Parade" by the Doors has to be their most progressive song, and it is quite awesome as well! It has several different sections and none of the sections get repeated later. There are some pretty funny vocals by Jim Morrison as well. I especially enjoy his "YOU CANNOT PETITION THE LORD WITH PRAYER!". Anyway, this song gets better and better each time I hear it. What do you guys think of this song? Do you think it's their most progressive song? I don't consider "The End" and "When the Music's Over" to be as progressive as TSP because, while those songs are pretty long, they seem more like jams at certain points. 
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 16:25
I agree that it's one of their most Progressive songs, I really like it.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 17:04
Another concurrence from me.  Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 17:30
What about "The Celebration of the Lizard" ??  

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 17:40
I'd also add Spanish Caravan and The Crystal Ship to the list.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 00:46
i put this song in the same category as Steppenwolf's Monster released the same year. For the Door's right up there with Not toTouch the Earth, The End and When the Music is Over. 

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 07:55
The Soft Parade is indeed their proggiest song (and among my top 3, WASP/Texas Radio and LA Woman are the other two), but it's really too bad it's on a generally weak album (superb inner gatefold artwork, though.)

Edited by Sean Trane - August 18 2010 at 07:56
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 08:02
I love The Soft Parade (the album and the song). Both are criminally underrated IMO... it's probably my favorite album by The Doors.

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 11:36
Graet topic. I like the album and the song, yeah it is one of their most progressive.

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 12:46
I like the song, but hate the album.  What an example of a band selling out.

The Doors (not counting post-Morrisson) have six studio albums, I'd put the other four at at least four stars, I wouldn't give The Soft Parade Two.

But yes, the SONG the Soft Parade is good.

I'd say Strange Days is definitely their most progressive album overall, with Morrison Hotel and the S/T being my favorites.  LA Woman closely behind.

Edited by himtroy - August 18 2010 at 12:50
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 22:15
The Soft Parade doesn't rank up too high on my list of favorite Doors albums, though Runnin' Blue ain't too bad.  If ya look at the number of Krieger songs on the album, 5/9, that may say a bit about the state o' mind the band was in at the time.
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2010 at 16:44
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I love The Soft Parade (the album and the song). Both are criminally underrated IMO... it's probably my favorite album by The Doors.

If I may, I think that this is the most overproduced of The Doors albums. A totally different direction for them. It is the most radio friendly of The Doors albums. It is a stark departure from their first three albums and what was to follow. Don't get me wrong I love the album but what turned me onto The Doors is not present on this album with the exception of the title track. I kinda wish that they would have put The Celebration of the Lizard on side one of this album.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 19:12
Hi,

All in all, i nmy book, just about all of the Doors material fits into "prog" ... a lot better than most metal and prog stuff listed here in this board!

I always thought that the long cuts they did were ... poems ... not songs, and had a lot less to do with music than they did with the poet on his lectern!

There are some things the Doors did as well, that you and I can sit here and think ... sounds like album filler to me ... then you hear it again, and the lyrics and the strength and conviction they are delivered with ... beats you to a pulp! And I can tell you that two-thirds of the "progressive" and "prog" listed in this board does not even come close to doing that! Some of them even pretend to have very with it lyrics ... Jim Morrison did not have to resort to that ... a poet rarely does!

Why not progressive? Because they don't sound like Genesis or ELP? ... guess what ... they were around before Genesis, and pretty much the same time as ELP ... thought The Doors were already legendary in the states way before ELP became so. And by the time that ELP had to do leather pants and balls, Jim was already gone and not interested in the star thing ... while his death and drugs is not on my list of wonderful achievements, the honesty and lyricism far out weights ELP and Genesis and so many other bands.

The Doors didn't have to be hip! ... or pretend! ... or impress you with a chord that made it progressive!

There is a side of "progressive" that is scary for me.

For the most part, there is no clear history and concise quantization of the work that grew with the time and place ... it's like it was magic and there it is in one place ... and the fact is that many bands, specially in California were also doing it, at the same time that others were doing it in Europe as well as London ... and our ability to exemplify, strengthen and define "progressive" loses its power ... when so much of it was inspired by the likes of Jim, Janis, and others that came from a different place and time ... but in America "progressive" means you do blues and jazz better than anyone else ... until later! And that leaves a massive amount of work, bands and people completely un-discussed ...

Historically, I would love to see the world of "progressive" start ... way back ... and I mean around the early 60's even ... and be big enough to list some things ... that really busted out the whole thing ... and really ... The Doors definitly fit in my book! ... But then I would also add Chicago 1 and 2 ... but it appears that folks here think that horns are not prog because they are not metal enough? Or Symphonic enough? Or Neo enough? Or you can go back to Jefferson Airplane as well, if not Paul Kantner's experimental solo albums ... they do fit as progressive, but will not get the credit for it, because a Garcia played guitar in a couple fo moments, and other goons sang in there that fit ... progressive folk at the time (Crosby Stills and Nash) ... and ... it just goes on and on!

Edited by moshkito - August 25 2010 at 19:20
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 19:30
Originally posted by WatcherOfTheSkies88 WatcherOfTheSkies88 wrote:

....  don't consider "The End" and "When the Music's Over" to be as progressive as TSP because, while those songs are pretty long, they seem more like jams at certain points. 

See ... that's an issue ... almost ALL music has its start in a jam ... and some takes off on the lyrics and the visual content that it offers, and others go to the conventional music formats.

Why, why, why ... can not an experiment, or a jam, define a piece of music? ... might as well call krautrock a bunch of crap, because many of them started with jams, and in the case of a couple of bands, they even admit they were so ripped it didn't matter what came out ... to the point that one person even said ... we were all so stoned and looking at each other I had to do something!

Music is music!

When the music is over, turn out the lights ... will be the end of progressive music since you are not allowing music to "live"! ... that's the part I don't ever want to miss, and the part that makes it for me ... without that special feeling ... there is no music ... and it doesn't matter if it is a jam or a staff ... but please do not determine that one is right and the other is wrong ... you will kill music in one swell foop!

Most people ... do not EVER ... know or understand or feel an artist ... it's why they are fans, you know?

But don't ever try ... to kill the music inside ... for I have a feeling inside ... INSIDE ... and you are basically telling me it is not a true feeling because the music is a jam? I would think that Ray, Robbie and John would not appreciate you a whole lot right now!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 19:34
Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

If I may, I think that this is the most overproduced of The Doors albums. A totally different direction for them. It is the most radio friendly of The Doors albums. It is a stark departure from their first three albums and what was to follow. Don't get me wrong I love the album but what turned me onto The Doors is not present on this album with the exception of the title track. I kinda wish that they would have put The Celebration of the Lizard on side one of this album.

This is actually one of the few cases where I prefer a more radio-friendly format. LOL

Even so, the more accessible songs are great and memorable, and of course we have a few prog moments as well. That's enough to make me happy.

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Lozlan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2012 at 18:02
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

....  don't consider "The End" and "When the Music's Over" to be as progressive as TSP because, while those songs are pretty long, they seem more like jams at certain points. 

See ... that's an issue ... almost ALL music has its start in a jam ... and some takes off on the lyrics and the visual content that it offers, and others go to the conventional music formats.

Why, why, why ... can not an experiment, or a jam, define a piece of music? ... might as well call krautrock a bunch of crap, because many of them started with jams, and in the case of a couple of bands, they even admit they were so ripped it didn't matter what came out ... to the point that one person even said ... we were all so stoned and looking at each other I had to do something!

Music is music!

When the music is over, turn out the lights ... will be the end of progressive music since you are not allowing music to "live"! ... that's the part I don't ever want to miss, and the part that makes it for me ... without that special feeling ... there is no music ... and it doesn't matter if it is a jam or a staff ... but please do not determine that one is right and the other is wrong ... you will kill music in one swell foop!

Most people ... do not EVER ... know or understand or feel an artist ... it's why they are fans, you know?

But don't ever try ... to kill the music inside ... for I have a feeling inside ... INSIDE ... and you are basically telling me it is not a true feeling because the music is a jam? I would think that Ray, Robbie and John would not appreciate you a whole lot right now!

This ramble was such a delight that I had to come out of progarchives retirement, if only for a moment. Codification of something is not the same as understanding or even loving it. There is a fair amount of musical vivisection on this site, and little artistic sympathy. The Doors had utter soul. The Soft Parade is an awesome album...from my point of view. I encourage everyone to listen to it sans any moldering prejudices.
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2012 at 22:43
Superb song, though the album suffers from some fairly unpleasant songs (and I'm not referring to Touch Me there).
Love the vocal overdubs, that's effective stuff
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2012 at 23:39
It's the best song on an otherwise bad album. But progressive I think it is not. It's just a few different sections put together. Nothing else. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 00:10
Originally posted by Lozlan Lozlan wrote:

This ramble was such a delight that I had to come out of progarchives retirement, if only for a moment. Codification of something is not the same as understanding or even loving it. There is a fair amount of musical vivisection on this site, and little artistic sympathy. The Doors had utter soul. The Soft Parade is an awesome album...from my point of view. I encourage everyone to listen to it sans any moldering prejudices.

I have heard some arguments to the effect that Larks Tongue in Aspic is inferior to ITCOTCK ONLY because it is improvised and not composed (apparently, according to said commenters....now Bruford has a different take on that).  I don't really understand this line of argument.  Just because something is not structured, doesn't mean it has no compositional element in it whatsoever and if it evidences a mathematical/logical pattern (like LTIA), it most probably is composed at least as much as it is improvised.  Not accepting improvisation as a compositional framework is what is not progressive.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 07:11
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Music is music!

I agree and especially with your points about Krautrock and jamming in general. I might add that there have been many cases with superb writers who write a particular unique chord sequence for a song and command the band to simply play that sequence over and over..like a jam, until a signature line comes to mind. In otherwords, let's see what happens. In many cases . jamming is mixing the brew and preparing the formula for an outcome of some kind. Another case may be John Lennon asking the band to jam over 3 chords he wrote and waiting for George Harrison to play that certain appealing group of notes, stopping the jam and saying..."I think I'll sing the notes George has just played" "Okay, back to the song"   In rock and progressive pen and paper does not always enter into the picture. Many Classically trained musicians in prog insisted on forming pieces , coming up with signature riffs, directly from jamming with their own band. Tony Banks for one. Tony Banks could read the music written by Univers Zero or Art Zoyd, but prefers himself to create structure with Collins and Rutherford by jamming. Not the kind of jamming that Brand X did..but the kind where musicians listen for a formula to naturally develop, listen back to the tapes, break up those fine bits and pieces and in the end creating a song with lyrics. Nothing is exacting . No method has been laid down by an old man up in the puffy clouds and blue sky to form or compose music in the way that a majority of people in society (it seems to me), take it to be. As you said..music is music!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>