3 [50.00%]
3 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flautists: Herbie Mann vs. Bjorn J:son Lindh
    Posted: August 18 2010 at 12:35
Two of my favourite flautists.  Who do you prefer?

I don't have time to search for much in the way of samples now (and this is not enough to judge and I would want other clips as well to show the versatility, but just to give a taste for those that don't know them)

Adding this to the first post, just cause I enjoy it and more might check it out that way:

Edited by Logan - August 18 2010 at 17:35
"Mistakes can be corrected by those who pay attention to facts, but dogmatism will not be corrected by those who are wedded to a vision" (Thomas Sowell).
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 12:53
The Herbie Mann album you recommended me in the Ethereal Flute Music thread is excellent, thanks for that Greg. Flute-led psychedelic jazz - I wouldn't have suspected there is such a thing.

I think I heard some Lindh when you suggested it for inclusion, but the music didn't stick in my mind. These samples are very nice.
Logan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 01:06
Originally posted by harmonium.ro

The Herbie Mann album you recommended me in the Ethereal Flute Music thread is excellent, thanks for that Greg. Flute-led psychedelic jazz - I wouldn't have suspected there is such a thing.

I think I heard some Lindh when you suggested it for inclusion, but the music didn't stick in my mind. These samples are very nice.

I'm glad you like "In Tangiers". Stone Flute is, I think, a terrific album (thanks to Christer for recommending it to me).

Here's a little info on the players and tracks:

Players:

• Herbie Mann – Flute
  • Sonny Sharrock – Guitar
  • Roy Ayers – Vibes
  • Ron Carter – Bass
  • Miroslav Vitous – Bass
  • Bruno Carr – Drums
  • Mickey Rocca – Drums
  • Gene Orloff – Violin
  • Manny Green – Violin
  • Peter Dimitriades – Violin
  • Selwart Clarke – Viola
  • Al Brown – Viola
  • Kermit Moore – Cello
  • George Ricci – Cello

Tracks:

1. In Tangier / Paradise Beach (10:36)
  2. Flying (4:59)
  3. Don’t You Know The Way (How I Feel About You) (5:22)
  4. Miss Free Spirit (12:41)
  5. Pendulum (2:36)

Stone Flute is my favourite Mann album, but I still haven't heard much of his.  I do have Push Push, and have heard various other things.  My favourite album by Lindh is Fran Storstad Till Grodspad, but I like each of his first four albums considerably. I hope some others find it worthwhile listening too.

Edited by Logan - August 19 2010 at 02:04
"Mistakes can be corrected by those who pay attention to facts, but dogmatism will not be corrected by those who are wedded to a vision" (Thomas Sowell).
 Post Reply Post Reply