Progarchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Cairo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote fgivens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cairo
    Posted: August 19 2010 at 11:56
Does anyone know what ever happened to Cairo? Why did they fall off the face of the earth? Any recommendations on any other bands that sound similar?
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Quote toroddfuglesteg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 12:05

I hope to have an interview with them a.s.ap.

which means I have to chase them up again to reply to my questions. 

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Moogtron III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 12:56
Good idea. Their first album has grown through the years into one of my favorite prog albums. Great band!
fgivens View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Quote fgivens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2010 at 14:34
Thanks, I'm sure there are many that could use some hopefully good news as to a fourth album in the works.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2010 at 07:49
I really miss Cairo. Loved their first two albums. Their third one never really grew on me. I've been hoping for a comeback for quite some time. Mark Robertson is a wonderful keyboardist.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2010 at 07:53
underrated but worth a listen I take it?
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2010 at 08:26
Bands that sound similar : very easy : ELP (Mark Robertson is a Keith Emerson-clone) and Yes (well, difficult not to hear echoes of Steve Howe in the guitar work), and maybe UK's 'danger money'.
They are somewhat mellower than the other MAgna Carta acts.

Their first two albums are quite decent, the second is more "metal" than the first one.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Moogtron III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2010 at 13:57

Keith Emerson also liked Cairo himself and especially  likes to listen the last (long) track of the debut album. Well, that's what I once read in an old interview with one of the guys from Cairo.

Yes, I think they are very much like other Magna Charta bands, maybe more keyboard driven.
fgivens View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Quote fgivens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2010 at 14:58
I recently discovered TRANSATLANTIC, EXPLORERS CLUB and 4FRONT. Anyone listening to them? If you haven't, you should give them a try.
 Post Reply Post Reply